SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The NH (US) made P226 X-FIVE is finally a reality!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NH (US) made P226 X-FIVE is finally a reality! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Never doubted that. Would make zero sense, if they didn't, because it is much less complicated than the SAO.

Q… Maybe I missed the Big Grin… In what way is a DA/SA less complicated than SAO?

Have you looked at that adjustable SAO trigger complex? Not just the outside but also the inside. Compare it to the trigger on your Allround, which is just a regular trigger.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Never doubted that. Would make zero sense, if they didn't, because it is much less complicated than the SAO.

Q… Maybe I missed the Big Grin… In what way is a DA/SA less complicated than SAO?

Have you looked at that adjustable SAO trigger complex? Not just the outside but also the inside. Compare it to the trigger on your Allround, which is just a regular trigger.

AHHHH… I thought you were referring to operation and thought??? My 1911s are SAO and they are not complicated to shoot. My skill set (for now) for troubleshooting and upgrade installation limits me to P series DA/SA. Have not ventured into the internal works of a SAO but now, my interest is piqued. Hello You Tube

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since technical part came up, does this one have a firing pin block?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
AHHHH… I thought you were referring to operation and thought??? My 1911s are SAO and they are not complicated to shoot. My skill set (for now) for troubleshooting and upgrade installation limits me to P series DA/SA. Have not ventured into the internal works of a SAO but now, my interest is piqued. Hello You Tube

It’s just in regards to this SAO trigger. This is the only one that you can set trigger weight, over travel, and length of pull while every other trigger stays where it was installed.

quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Since technical part came up, does this one have a firing pin block?

It should. I’ve never seen a P226 that didn’t.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

But even the SAO operation is inherently more complex, as it requires one more step (flipping off the safety) to get the gun to fire, no matter how easy it is for the trained shooter. There is no getting around that, unless you just carry cocked and unlocked, which is totally nut.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He probably means the L1 SAO models with adjustable trigger.

However some X5 SAO guns, such as my P226 X5 Competition don’t have the complex user-adjustable trigger. Robert Burke adjusted the trigger of mine very nicely though.

My X5 Comp also doesn’t have rails, skeletonizing, gold plating, or any other extraneous crap. Just elemental X5 goodness.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
My X5 Comp also doesn’t have rails, skeletonizing, gold plating, or any other extraneous crap. Just elemental X5 goodness

Exactly!! Spot on, love it.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Um...did SIG not THINK that some folks might wanna use their new American wundergun for competition activities? Seems rather curious that the gun would miss qualifying weight by only a solitary ounce. Or did some non-shooter designer/engineer type misread the 5 in '45' as a 6? That would be kinda embarrassing, like a prize fighter showing up at weigh-in and not making weight...so will we see Ron C play Don King and put a Muhammed Ali type of spin on it? Wink

This problem is not new, I had that deal with 15 years ago when I first started shooting IDPA and lusted over an X5. The designers here just mimicked the design and features of the German X5, which was also overweight, and too long for an IDPA box, they just added the optics mount. These guns will sell as is, to people like me, that just like to shoot.

This was the right approach. Sig loves having lots of SKUs, and I’m sure they’ll eventually introduce fifteen variations, one of them to scratch every itch.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Anybody know what the differences are between this new 226 X5 and the established 226 Legion SAO? Thx

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Benderx4:
Anybody know what the differences are between this new 226 X5 and the established 226 Legion SAO? Thx

Besides the cosmetic differences, the XFives are all stainless steel, have 5-inch barrel and the fully adjustable trigger and the adjustable rear sight.

Q

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's also a bull barrel vs a standard barrel thickness.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I was able to shoot the Classic today during a trip to the Sig Experience Center. It was even better than expected. Seemed like it was impossible to miss.

A couple of observations. The grips feel much thinner than the rosewood grips on my P226 Stainless Elite. The contours also feel different and fit my hand better. I have swapped out those grips for G10s but would not want to do that with the grips in the Classic. The range officer told me the grips on the STAS feel a little fatter.

The trigger was very crisp and a light pull. The reset was very short. Recoil is negligible.

I shot this back to back with my P229 Legion and the XFive was on another level. Compared to my P226 STE, it was like going from a Honda to a Porsche.

Now I am trying to convince my wife that I have been a very good boy and this would be a great present. Now that Hallmark countdown to Christmas has started there shouldn’t need to be a wait until December.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
After pissing away a ton of time trying to find a decent deal on a good Old School X5 less than $3,000, I just placed my order for a brand new American made X5. Ordered through Grab a Gun who showed them in stock at $2,199. I might have got the last one because now they show out of stock.

AND… It arrived today! After everyone at my LGS were done drooling all over it, I just got her home. Mind blown!!!

The craftsmanship, feel and balance in my hand rivals my Gen1 X5 all around. Range time scheduled for this weekend where I will run a side by side comparison between the two as well as one of my 226 restomods.

In hindsight, as frustrated as I was in trying to locate a used X5, I am very glad I was not successful. I now have a brand new US version and am able to re-allocated the $1,000 I saved. Only time will tell but… at the moment, I am “over the moon”!

Just got back from the range… results were with no adjustments made - Just as it came from the factory. I shot it and my X5 all around side-by-side along with my best 226 4.4.

Exceptionally smooth trigger - Comparable to it’s German counterpart
It’s personal preference but… not a fan of the front sight
Will likely end up installing a red dot
Accuracy may actually better than my all around (at least as good)

2008 X5 all around - Final shots on fresh target

2022 X5 - Final shots on fresh target

Verdict - sweet goodness right out of the box. Of course there are things I would have done differently but at the end of the day, this gun is awesome.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides the cosmetic differences, the XFives are all stainless steel, have 5-inch barrel and the fully adjustable trigger and the adjustable rear sight.

Thank you Sir! Hard to believe there is something out there nicer than my Legion. Always something ....

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
...to P series DA/SA. Have not ventured into the internal works of a SAO but now, my interest is piqued. Hello You Tube

Yes.

The Allround trigger is exactly one piece.

The SAO adjustable trigger is eleven pieces.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the new US made X5 just a built up P226S with different aesthetics and maybe tighter tolerances or it’s made from the same mold and machinery that was used in Germany? I’m sure the blueprints and schematics can be used to recreate all the tooling here, but it seems SIG Sauer USA is about cost sharing and manufacturing efficiencies being able to reuse existing parts. Much like the P210A and the European versions, they look very similar on the outside, but internally is a completely different gun. If it’s a completely different gun then I don’t think the German X5 collectors have to worry about devaluation.

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Again… only the L1 versions of the German P226 X5s have the fully adjustable trigger. My German SAO P226 X5 Competition doesn’t. See my post above (on this page).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
quote:

Again… only the L1 versions of the German P226 X5s have the fully adjustable trigger. My German SAO P226 X5 Competition doesn’t. See my post above (on this page).

Man, this is twice in this thread you brought your Competition into the discussion, when NMDave and Benderx4 and I discussed the new US X5s.

But, since you brought the German guns into this, let's discuss. The German Xguns, except for the DA/SA Allround and Gen1 Short, are SAO, and most of them SAO Xguns have the adjustable trigger. The ones with the non-adjustable trigger are in the minority (like your Competition, the Tactical and the Entry/Express). But the rest, like the L1, Short & Smart, Match, Supermatch, Skeleton, Black&White, Scandic, Emerald, Ruby, Facettes, Performance and many others, all have the fully adjustable trigger.

Q

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Hm… I’ve long had high regard for your acumen. I thought that you believed that all German SAO X5s had a user-adjustable trigger. Clearly, I was wrong about that. My apologies.

Serious about crackers

Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
I was able to shoot the Classic today during a trip to the Sig Experience Center. It was even better than expected. Seemed like it was impossible to miss.

A couple of observations. The grips feel much thinner than the rosewood grips on my P226 Stainless Elite. The contours also feel different and fit my hand better. I have swapped out those grips for G10s but would not want to do that with the grips in the Classic. The range officer told me the grips on the STAS feel a little fatter.

The trigger was very crisp and a light pull. The reset was very short. Recoil is negligible.

I shot this back to back with my P229 Legion and the XFive was on another level. Compared to my P226 STE, it was like going from a Honda to a Porsche.

Now I am trying to convince my wife that I have been a very good boy and this would be a great present. Now that Hallmark countdown to Christmas has started there shouldn’t need to be a wait until December.

Crap, add another one to my list now...

...so many guns....

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post