SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
These days there seems to be a strong concerted effort by "9mm enthusiasts" to utterly kill off the 40. Like it's their life mission. It gets beyond tiring to hear ad nauseam about how much 40 sucks. I hear, 40 is an answer to a question no one asked, without fail in nearly every 40 discussion. I look at it this way. If you don't like it? Don't shoot it. But I see people actively trying to drive others away from it. And the way they go about it is beyond reminiscent of what the liberals do when you disagree with them on anything.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put together a .40 rig with a P320F in .40 on a TXG grip on a belt set up with a Red Hill holster, and 14 round magazines with Taran +5's. Just ordered two more .40 barrels; one for a .357 P320 (flexibility with less expensive ammo), and another for a G35 (KKM), along with setting up a belt and rig for the G35.

I have a LOT of .40 brass in buckets. It won't shoot or reload itself...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a NIB HK USP 40 a while back. Thought it was clunky at first, but the old thing has grown on me, and now it is my carry gun. Like it well enough that a new Kramer holster is on order. Funny thing is, the loaded weight of the HK is the same as my favorite 228. Never would have thought that!

Posts: 1636 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I found it interesting to discover just recently that the Colorado State Patrol still issues S&W M&P pistols in 40 S&W. And they even have women troopers who can handle its ferocious recoil. Can we believe it‽

Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[vinnygambino] How can you be so sure they are women? [/vinnygambino]

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
[vinnygambino] How can you be so sure they are women? [/vinnygambino]

C'mon. These days ANYbody can be a woman. Try it. Everybody is doing it!

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

C'mon. These days ANYbody can be a woman. Try it. Everybody is doing it!

I could dress like a woman, try to talk like one, and if everyone ignores the stubble poking through the makeup, may be try to look like a really ugly, balding, freakishly pasty irish woman with bad teeth, but I could never BE a woman.

Science knows the molecular makeup of the sun, and even the great mystery, where babies come from. The age of rocks. Why cats land on their feet when they fall from mars. But understanding women? No. Being women? Only women can do that, and some don't do that very well.

Being a woman is like being a diamond; either you is, or you ain't. But wearing a diamond-suit don't make it so.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a G26 for edc and can shoot it very well, then I checked my ammo locker and realized I was 4 to 1 on 40 vs 9 ammo for range. So my G27 arrived yesterday.

Posts: 1620 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
I'll take all the 40 that you all don't want. Alphabet agency bullshit trends are not going to sway my opinion.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I find reloading .40 seems to go much smoother then 9mm. Not sure why but it just does.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
All I can think of is round capacity. My 229 in 40 is probably the pistol I am most accurate with.

I've seen 40 ammo on the shelf lately. 9mm almost never.

Posts: 17870 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I know this has been discussed, but what are some reasons that .40 has fallen out of favor? I carry a .40 DAK 229 at work but only have 1 .40 pistol at home.

1) Bonded duty ammo and equivalents such as Gold dot have made the terminal ballistics of 9/40/45 pretty similar.
2) 9mm allows higher capacity. In a fight, bullets are opportunities.
3) 9mm is easier to shoot accurately at speed for everyone, regardless of skill level. Shot placement is the most significant factor in terminal effectiveness.
4) It's faster to shoot accurately. Being able to make good hits faster is a real advantage in a fight.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
All I can think of is round capacity. My 229 in 40 is probably the pistol I am most accurate with.

I've seen 40 ammo on the shelf lately. 9mm almost never.

Slow fire, with no time limit I'm most accurate with .45 but on the clock, 9mm wins.

Time is always a factor in a fight. There may not be a beep but there is a timer in the form of the guy (or gal) trying to kill you before you kill them.

Now a skilled .40 shooter can keep up with a less skilled 9mm shooter all things being equal that .40 shooter will be even faster with a 9mm.

When my life is on the line I'll take every advantage I can get.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I find reloading .40 seems to go much smoother then 9mm. Not sure why but it just does.
Possibly because the .40 is a straight-walled case and the 9mm case is tapered.

I've never shot a .40 -- is its recoil all that much greater than a 9mm? some 9mm are pretty hot. (Me? I shoot .45ACP or .45 Win Mag or .50AE.)

flashguy
flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have two P239 in .40 and one in 9mm. Guns have same style of grips so basically identical. I prefer the .40 over the 9mm, just seems to shoot better. I think the recoil is about the same.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NATO.....PERIOD

Posts: 107 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: March 08, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
In my limited collection I have 1 .380, 1 9mm, 1 .40 (w/ a 9mm conversion if needed), and 1 357mag. So I'm covered for the most part if something is on the shelf I'm probably going to be able to shoot it. I think my next purchase is going to be a 1911 in .45, so I can have that caliber covered as well.

All of my pistols are double action and have similar trigger pulls and none have a safety, so I can transfer between them fairly easily.

My .40 was my first and only Sig, and it's my nicest gun. I used to carry it until I got something smaller in size and easier to hide. I still like it and would carry it if needed. I shoot it well (have used it in several classes and did great) and have no issues with .40 recoil or management. Also I would guess that either the .40 or 357mag would do the most damage if I needed to shoot someone; so those two guns are my primary "go to" weapons. (other than the shotgun under the bed).

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Zombie thread.... LOL

Just attaching this:

Great job!!
I love me some 40 S&W my EDC Smile if I change it goes to a Sig 1911 sub Compact 45 ACP Big Grin

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never shot a .40 -- is its recoil all that much greater than a 9mm?

It's pretty much halfway between 9mm and .45.

9mm: fast snap
.45ACP: hard shove
.40S&W: snappy shove

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I like the .40 S&W, I think there will be a resurgence of this caliber at some point (even if it is just from nostalgia).

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post