SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What is the best all around .22LR round????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best all around .22LR round???? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Do you have a good source for these in these wonderful times of ammo availability??

ammoseek.com
Champions Choice
Creedmoor Sports
Mile High Shooting

Not all model lines will be available at any one time, from any one distributor. You have to shop around a bit -- even in the best of times.

Pretty much all 22lr match ammo is priced too high right now. If the best is too much to spring for, the mid-priced lines of the good manufacturers are still quite accurate. And probably more accurate than the majority of rifles and trigger pullers are consistently capable of. The top-of-the-line ammo varieties are probably waste of money for those who aren't capable of consistent 1-hole groups at 50 yards, and who want to shoot targets at 100-200 yards.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good all around .22 is CCI 40 grain CPRN.

Posts: 5 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: August 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suppressed equals some variety of subsonic ( a synonym for standard velocity)
Nearly all standard velocity will tend to be anywhere from a little to extremely more accurate than any high velocity
“Acceptable accuracy”? Everyone has a different standard here. What I find acceptable ( we will use the yardstick CCI standard here) for routine use won’t cut it when I shoot prs/ nrl22 events.
My current go to is SK pistol match special.
Very reliable in all my semis, great accuracy. Not horribly expensive. It runs a hair faster than most standard velocity while still being subsonic, and gives semis a bit more functional assurance.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most importantly MUST CYCLE A SEMIAUTO

Since this is 'most important' should point out this 100% depends on the semiauto(s) in question.

After trial and error I've gravitated toward Federal Champion .22 LR as it cycles everything I currently have. It has its own characteristics and I don't doubt there are designs it would not work in, however, and I don't doubt that I will have to confirm whether or not it cycles in future .22LR purchases.

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For shooting at things other than game, CCI Standard.

For shooting at game, CCI Mini-mags.

If I was a target shooter, Eley Tenex.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini Mags just plain work in everything.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep. That's been my experience as well.

As a result, ~75% of my .22LR stash is CCI Mini Mags.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep. That's been my experience as well.

Mini Mags have a little more powder than subsonic loads, and thus will better cycle semi-auto firearms which need a little oomph.

Mini Mags can be quite accurate in rifles that have longer or looser chambers.

Because Mini Mags are supersonic, their accuracy deteriorates noticeably once the bullet passes through transonic velocities.

Mini Mags aren't built for precision bolt actions with tight chambers. Extraction can be an issue, as well as lackluster accuracy.

So...Mini Mags pretty much go bang in everything, but this doesn't mean they work well in everything.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...eport-cci-velocitor/

I was looking at 22 somewhat ‘defensive’ ammo, saw the Federal ‘punch’, and noticed the CCI ‘Velocitor’ compared fairly well, at a lower cost. I didn’t do my own head to head testing, more reading.

Anyway, I bought 500-1000.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I found that HP of any brand (that I tried) was terrible for feeding in my P322.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As has been said, for suppressed, CCI standard velocity. I have one semi auto they won't run in that I generally use Mini-Mags, or Blazer.
I have a P322 that loves CCI standard velocity but sometimes won't ignite Aguilla. Also, if it's cold out, and your ammo also gets cold, your velocity will drop so you MAY have to use high velocity.
If I plan to shoot any rimfire ammunition that I feel it needs to run 100%, I not only visually inspect each round, but also use a Marvel 1 barrel as a case gauge. I started doing that during the Obama administration because even though I always did that when I was going to use a Marvel 1 conversion, one day I was going to shoot a steel match with a stock, Ruger 10/22 and just grabbed a brick of CCI standard out of a case I'd just bought and when I was trying to shoot the match, my rifle kept jamming. When I was reloading my magazines between stages I realized that the ammunition had so much wax on the bullets, they didn't even want to come up and out of stock 10/22 magazines. I called CCI about it and they said to return it and they would replace it and reimburse me for shipping. They shorted me on the ammunition, didn't reimburse me for the shipping, and the replacement ammunition had just as much wax as the stuff I sent in. Since the Obama administration, ALL domestic rimfire ammunition is a crap shoot.
That said, I've yet to find a bad round, or have a problem with anything SK

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
"But what .22 ammo would you have if you could only have 1 type of ammo regardless of what .22 you may be firing it from."

I'm in the same camp as many others with CCI Mini-Mags.

That's all I buy, I buy what I can when I can, I know it will work reliably, I stack it deep.

Target Sports USA dot com shows to have it in stock, and a pretty good price, right now. Free shipping too. They are good to go to buy from.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Winchester Power-Point .22LR. Availability may be sporadic as their primary market is Australia for culling kangaroos, so it is not in constant production. As such, it has good terminal performance and accuracy. The bullet is a 40 gr HP at 1280 fps.

Posts: 115 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Gemtech comissioned CCI to make a suppressor-specific flavor of CCI-standard velocity a while back.

That stuff is very consistent, like match ammo, and it runs great in my guns.

I like it a lot, and I bought a lot.

Best part is the custom gemtech case stamp on the brass.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

I fail to see any reason why a headstamp on a case makes any difference. Even more so for a 22lr case, which won't be reloaded.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I fail to see any reason why a headstamp on a case makes any difference. Even more so for a 22lr case, which won't be reloaded.

Because it looks cool. Big Grin Razz

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because it looks cool.

If a "cool looking" head stamp is the best thing about a type of ammo, it doesn't say much for the quality/utility/accuracy of that ammo.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
sheesh...

Remark was meant to be jovial.

Just to keep from polluting Black92LX's thread further, I also think mini mags are great if you aren't using a can and you need reliable cycling.

And I sure do love that C stamped on the case! But let me be clear, that's certainly not the best part about mini mags. Smile

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
In years past I always thought the Wolf .22 ammo was great but hard to source. When I saw it in stock a few years ago I stocked up, wish I had bought more.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only subsonics I trust to cycle autos are the Federal 45 gr, which is can be hard to find and the 60 gr Aquila, which requires the 1 in 9" twist in the AR-15 and CMMG 22lr conversion unit in the AR.

With normal 1 in 16" riling twist, the Aquila will tumble in flight. Normal "high speed" 22lr ammo is subsonic in barrels of 6" length or less.

I tend toward minimags for normal shooting or suppressed pistols, but even they can be "iffy".as to functioning.

Posts: 6 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 08, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post