SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    NFA wait times
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 126
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA wait times Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I figure the shutdown probably set my stamps back two months.

And as a federal employee who has worked for DoD and now NRCS (division of USDA) I would say that some positions encourage the employee to have initiative (the positions I held while working as an Army Civilian) and some positions, especially ones dealing with beaurocracy, tend to take away an employees initiative (like the position I am in now)as I tend to get my butt in a sling when I take initiative here.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
I cannot verify this personally but several people on AR15.com are saying that the lady answering the phone today at NFA branch is telling everyone that the wait is now 15 MONTHS! Link To Thread
quote:
I just called.
I went pending August 12th,Mary at the NFA just said estimated time is .......15 months!

quote:
EXACTLY!!! Just got off the phone and Mary told me the same thing. 15 MONTHS!!! WTF!!! Trust with multiple stampas as well. Went pending June 27th. Sucks to be us....

quote:
I talked to Mary today and was told that the new standard, as of yesterday, is that it is 15 mos from check cash date, the pending date is null and void. I asked about an item I was told 30 days on when I called Sep 2. She said this was most likely no longer true. She said she really did not know the answer only that it was cashed on March 22 and it will be approved between now and next July. She was very nice and really just sounded ass whipped like there is something devious is going on at the ATF they know it but have to do their job as instructed.

If this is true, I'm going to throw a fit!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Pine cones go in here. Party liquors come out here, and proceed to here. Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated." - Early Cuyler

Posts: 3435 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: April 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
15 fucking months!?!?!?!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staple Gun Extraordinaire!
Picture of sig-x
posted Hide Post
Yup that's the word on the grapevine. Was 9-12 months before the shutdown. Now it's 15 months.

This will hurt the supressor industry big time. Apply for a stamp now and get when it's approved you will have last years model.

Do away with trust will kill the market too.

Posts: 9949 | Location: SE MI | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanking my lucky stars I have everything I want already, but I see how this will hurt the industry, as I'd buy micro 5.56/7.62 can more than likely, but not if I'm not gonna see of for 15 months, plus the probable 3-4 month Form 3...

Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty upset right now. If I have to wait another 6 months for a pending Form 1 (in addition to the 9 months I've already waited) that will be utter BS! Shit should have been approved mid-October per the pre-shutdown quote I was given by the NFA receptionist.

Not to mention the two Form 4's and one Form 1 I just submitted this month. Mad

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Pine cones go in here. Party liquors come out here, and proceed to here. Fights begin, fingerprints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated." - Early Cuyler

Posts: 3435 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: April 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staple Gun Extraordinaire!
Picture of sig-x
posted Hide Post
Victor I believe it goes in order. Look at your approved stamps. They should have a black stamp on the top of the page. That's the control number that stamped on when they cash the check. The new wait times are for new applications. Unless your forms get lost in the shuffle your pending stamps should be approved sooner than 15 months.

Posts: 9949 | Location: SE MI | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think 15 months is worst-case scenario, and it is only for "new" applications. If you are in-system already, they your wait time probably hasn't changed much except for the additional time tacked on when NFA was shut down.

What your actual time is will depend regionally since NFA examiners are divided by region and generally do not work across boundaries.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some speculation that the new "15" month word coming out of NFA might be targeted at the trusts and possible changes to the rules, since the remarks period is 90 days and they have 90 days to implement it... So, nominal 9 month wait, plus the 6 months for BATFE NFA rule change?

At least that's what is floating around as rumor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
These threads make me laugh.

What do you people think the examiner is doing when you call them? Do you think they are working on Form 1s, 3s, and 4s? No they aren't, they are talking to you answering your questions which further delays you and everybody else getting forms stamped.

You people are the reason the wait time is 10 months. Leave the examiners alone and you'll get your stuff back sooner.

Not quite.

The examiner does not answer the phone (though its possible to ask for them, I never have).

The staff receptionist answers the phone and provides status based on serial number.

Besides, if you don't want to answer my questions, don't take my damn money and sit on it for 6+ months.

From the moment you cash my check, you are in my service up until the point I receive the full due of that service (tax stamp, in this case).

I generally only call once to make sure they've received my paperwork and I'm in pending status. But the bottom line is if they turned the tax stamps over faster (28 days for my first from the day I sent it off, to the day I got it back) they wouldn't have as many people calling them.

Thank you for the clarification.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
]While I agree that calling every week like a teen girl waiting on a pregnancy test is counter productive... but your assertion that the reason waits have gone from 2-3 months to 7-10 months in the past 4 years is ever MORE LAUGHABLE...

Smile

Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weird Al is
My Hero
Picture of mini68rt
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is some speculation that the new "15" month word coming out of NFA might be targeted at the trusts and possible changes to the rules, since the remarks period is 90 days and they have 90 days to implement it... So, nominal 9 month wait, plus the 6 months for BATFE NFA rule change?

At least that's what is floating around as rumor

So does that mean that they are "holding" all of the new trust applications until after the new rules are in effect and then saying "Oh, sorry. Now you have to resubmit with all of these new hoops to jump through."

No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip.
The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip.

Posts: 858 | Location: Way Too Close to UNC , NC | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
Rhino, LDD, Sig-X; thank you for quelling my fears. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mini68rt:
quote:

At least that's what is floating around as rumor

So does that mean that they are "holding" all of the new trust applications until after the new rules are in effect and then saying "Oh, sorry. Now you have to resubmit with all of these new hoops to jump through."
No idea, but people who were calling got the "trust or individual" question before the "15 months" answer.

My gut feeling is that the administration, realizing that they don't have the ass to get any gun control through congress, is gonna go full bore with bullshit rule making against NFA items, making it as painful as possible. This may include saying all stop until the "trust" rules are rewritten.

That way Barry can say he's "doing something". Roll Eyes

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
15 month waits will absolutely kill suppressor manufacturers. Who the fuck wants to pay for suppressor plus the $200 tax and the wait over a year to be able to use it. Mad

The background check should not take more than a few days.

Why go after NFA and law abiding gun owners? Our chicken shit president just wants to stick it to gun enthusiasts and does not care about gun violence. When was a NFA item last used in a crime?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The background check should not take more than a few days.

Actually, it should take no more than the time to do a NICs check.

Buying a suppressor, SBR, SBS, etc should be an over-the-counter affair.

A suppressor is not more deadly than the 9mm/.45/.40/.223 etc. it's hosted on.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confirm 15 months I have 2 suppressors pending since January. TX NFA Branch spoke with "Linda" said status shows pending estimate 15 months to completion...going into a trust... my previous items all took 9 months to get back.

FYI

Thomas

God Bless Our Soldiers

NRA Instructor 152143095
TX DPS CHL Instructor 01831773

Posts: 67 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elpasotom:
Confirm 15 months I have 2 suppressors pending since January. TX NFA Branch spoke with "Linda" said status shows pending estimate 15 months to completion...going into a trust... my previous items all took 9 months to get back.

FYI

Thomas
So you are saying that you have had forms pending since January 2013 and now instead of being approved about now-ish, it will be another 6 months added on to your wait?

That makes no sense (not saying I don't believe you) unless somehow 20,000 people just cut in line in front of you or they are putting a halt to approving forms for 6 months.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ViktorVaughn:
or they are putting a halt to approving forms for 6 months.
I believe this might be the case - as all reports I've seen, regardless of how long people have been in the system, have been told "15 months".

Roll Eyes

Vaudeville Villain
Picture of ViktorVaughn
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Thanks Rhino.

Do you have any ideas of what we can do to get this mess fixed? Contact our Senators or something? Do we have any legal recourse?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ViktorVaughn:
Gotcha. Thanks Rhino.

Do you have any ideas of what we can do to get this mess fixed? Contact our Senators or something? Do we have any legal recourse?
Not really, guys on some of the other forums are contacting their congressmen and think filing grevances, etc might help.

Honestly the people who are gonna get screwed are the manufacturers and shops that specialize in selling silencers (IMO). I think the booming business that they have done over the past couple of years is gonna take a big hit. Maybe they'll band together and start a lawsuit but you know that'll take years to get through.

Basically this is the only way Obummer and his band of fools can easily attack legal gunowners / gun businesses, by using an unconstitutional law (IMO) to inflict more pain via "rule making".

It sucks and I'm not sure what the correct avenue is. Unfortunately a large portion of America is already anti-gun and NFA items seem even more "fringe" to them and even gun rights supporters.