SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The auction ends 7/1.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I want an edc2 but see it's made in Taiwan. I don't own an Emerson yet. Is that a problem?

My spyderco that I love is made in Taiwan.

So should my first Emerson be a real CQC-7bw with kryptec handles or the made in Taiwan edc2?

Thoughts and response all welcome here.

John 3:16
Sig 224,228,229,220,226,1911's, 938,220 carry, 239, 365, 225, 210. I come here because my addiction looks ok compared to your collections : )

Posts: 387 | Location: Indy area | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qwerty357:
Ok. I want an edc2 but see it's made in Taiwan. I don't own an Emerson yet. Is that a problem?

So should my first Emerson be a real CQC-7bw with kryptec handles or the made in Taiwan edc2?

Each are a different tool

Depends on what you intended purpose will be

The EDC-2 is made within agreement with Mr Emerson and are well made from my understanding

A 7 on the other hand is a workhorse, hand assembled outside LA. The 7 was my first Emerson until I gifted it to a friends son who was on leave after Parris Island graduation (he will need it far more than I and It was something his mother was unable to afford). That said. I will have another 7 at some point. The only criticism I had with it was it was a tad large for me personally as an EDC. Once again. That's my personal opinion. I know many that do so and are perfect for them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
What snw said. The factory that makes the EDC is closely monitored for quality control, doesn't support chinese military etc (i.e. it isn't one of those factories).

You can't go wrong with a 7 and wouldn't be afraid of the size. There is a mini-7 if you have small hands, but as you list the p220 in your arsenal the full size 7 should be fine for your hand and grip very, very comfortably.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the 7 I'm looking at is a mini.

I love multipurpose tools that allow more bang for the oz's

Anyone know the differences in thickness between the two pieces? I'm looking to carry this with the clip, so if the EDC2 is thick (I noticed 2 blades/tools of thickness) then I'm wondering if it would be a tad thick in that role.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Sig 224,228,229,220,226,1911's, 938,220 carry, 239, 365, 225, 210. I come here because my addiction looks ok compared to your collections : )

Posts: 387 | Location: Indy area | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had the same reservations about the EDC-2 and asked the same question here . I ended up checking it out at Blade show and was impressed enough to buy one. I have had it a couple weeks now and really like it. It is a very high quality knife. The only thing I don't like so much is that the pocket clip is not reversible. It is where it is, which assumes a right side, tip up carry.

If you buy one, buy it from forum member WARPIG602 at Spartaguns.com. He is awesome to deal with. Very awesome. Send him an email too, he gives forum members a nice discount and he always has free shipping. I ordered mine on a Sunday, got a shipping notification that day, and received it on Wednesday.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I'll get one then. Thanks for the info.

What about thickness compared to a 7? Any idea?

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awesome. I'll get one then. Thanks for the info.

What about thickness compared to a 7? Any idea?

I have no idea. I mean it is a thicker knife than a simple folder.

I'll take a picture next to a Spyderco Delica and some other folders later to compare.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
This is an older 7 with thinner scales and Ti liner.

Sorry for all of the shadows, the light is gone for the night.

Also lined up with an A100

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. I'm confident I will probably end up with one very soon. I like the wave feature. I got my son a kershaw Emerson. The wave is the bomb. Gotta get a real Emerson.

posted Hide Post
I got one. It's nice, but a bit thick and I hated giving $125 for a tawain knife from an American maker really. I don't see much build quality between it and a kershaw/Emerson personally.

Now aside from all of that hang up stuff, it's a nice knife. It's kinda hard you get your hand past it into the pocket, but it's really solid.

I really love the wave feature. And it does seem well built. It's a keeper.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I am glad you like it.

The more I use it, the more I hate the fixed clip position. I get the super slick tip up tactical opening on a tactical pocket knife. But this is a multi tool and not every time I pull it out do I want the blade out. I really wish the clip was not fixed so I could change this to a tip down carry. I am not going to get rid of it. I am practicing pulling it out in an arc so I don't catch the blade. I am also thinking of cutting that hook off and fixing the issue altogether.

That said I do still really like the tool. It is pretty well made and I love the 90 degree locking part for the screwdrivers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I am glad you like it.

The more I use it, the more I hate the fixed clip position. I get the super slick tip up tactical opening on a tactical pocket knife. But this is a multi tool and not every time I pull it out do I want the blade out. I really wish the clip was not fixed so I could change this to a tip down carry. I am not going to get rid of it. I am practicing pulling it out in an arc so I don't catch the blade. I am also thinking of cutting that hook off and fixing the issue altogether.

That said I do still really like the tool. It is pretty well made and I love the 90 degree locking part for the screwdrivers.

I keep mine in a pouch on my bag. More and more often I don't carry a knife clipped to my pocket- the pocket I would use is also where I keep my keys and with my big hands I don't like a knife there.

I have a nice Ozarks Holster custom belt sheath for a mini-Griptilian for when I need to carry a utility knife all day.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

I had the same reservations about the EDC-2 and asked the same question here . I ended up checking it out at Blade show and was impressed enough to buy one. I have had it a couple weeks now and really like it. It is a very high quality knife. The only thing I don't like so much is that the pocket clip is not reversible. It is where it is, which assumes a right side, tip up carry.

If you buy one, buy it from forum member WARPIG602 at Spartaguns.com. He is awesome to deal with. Very awesome. Send him an email too, he gives forum members a nice discount and he always has free shipping. I ordered mine on a Sunday, got a shipping notification that day, and received it on Wednesday.

Thanks for the kind words and support. Putting in a large order in a few weeks. Let me know if anything has caught your eye.

Qwerty gave me a ring and ended up taking home a Mini Commander BT as I was out of the EDC's at the time.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
got mine today......wink

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Weekend in the boat:

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Don't poke a hole in the boat! Eek

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't poke a hole in the boat!

It is difficult to pierce Smile

and cutting the fuel hose karambit (help stalled on the water girls) caused healthy reaction.. Wink

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I've basically 'come full circle' with Emerson...

For the better part of a decade, I basically carried one knife, a mini variant Emerson...I didn't have an EDC 'rotation'...sure, on a rare occasion, I might give something else briefly a try, but the Mini always re-won the title and wound up back in the pocket...that one Emerson, did the job, was with me pretty much all the time, saw me through alot of work and other related chores. Never failed to do what I asked of it, and still finds its way into my pocket from time to time. Still locks up well, tho a little later (about 75%) and with a little help from the Edge Pro Apex, has a nice sharp edge.

Mind you, I use the right tool for the job...my Emerson wasn't babied...its got the character from honest use...as a three figure (cost) knife, it wasn't used as a screw driver, pry bar, or other misuse. It was used to cut, and it has done well.

Then I went (and still tinker with) a 'rotation' phase...if there's something fancy, like a BBQ or something I put in a fancier knife. Or if there's a better than average chance of getting separated from the knife, or the knife might be called upon to be abused...I'd take one of my cheapos. Yeah, and once in while just for giggles if the mood strikes me, I'll carry something else...

But I picked up a light user 2013 Emerson, and it's just...well, right. After the decade with its little brother, the familiarity is so strong...it nearly unconscious...there's a cutting chore...it just comes to hand...I really don't have to think or fiddle around...the cutting gets done...my thumb goes to the liner lock it has hit 1000's of times before, the blade closes, it slips back into the pocket. No muss, no fuss. It really is the beauty of a proper pocket clip and nearly perfect G10 that offers traction, but simply slips along the fabric of a pocket seam. And the Edge Pro has a nice edge cutting the way it should.

For a real world working knife in my hands, it really is tough to beat. That's why this one might spend the grand majority of the next decade clipped to my pocket.

My $.02 worth, YMMV.

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mini Warpig. I look forward to phasing it into the daily role with the EDC2. I wish I would have been able to grab it from you as well.

So far the edc2 has cut me while attempting to shove past it in my pocket. I some how tripped the release. Well it was a small cut, but I didn't even feel it so it could have easily been an ugly event. I guess I'm still getting used to the wave feature