SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High School Boys get in trouble during trip to DC, Media gets it wrong.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Boys get in trouble during trip to DC, Media gets it wrong. Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I wish the parishioners would say enough & oust that bishop! I’d be leaving that parish pronto.

It doesn't work that way in the catholic church. There are roughly 50 parishes in the diocese, which covers 14 counties in north east Kentucky. Those of us in the diocese have no say in who is appointed bishop. If we don't like a priest, our only choice is to "vote with out feet" and joining another parish. If we don't like the bishop, we would have to go to a parish in another diocese or leave the church altogether.

Bishop Foys is the 10th bishop in the history of our diocese and the 4th since I've been alive. When he first became bishop, I really liked him because he seemed down to earth compared to his predecessors. He gave the sacrament of confirmation to both our sons, and I was impressed with his interaction with the school aged children. However, in subsequent years, I have changed my opinion of him due to some decisions he has made.

Most recently, our parish found out that the bishop had put a gag order on our parish priest. This priest is very popular and has brought people into the parish from all over the tri-state region due to his personality. In the past year, this priest has had to deal with some personal issues, which were caused by a jealous priest and exasperated by the diocese. Our priest, who has been vocal about the faults of the church regarding covering up the past sex abuse by priests, has tried to be transparent about his personal struggle. But the bishop keeps using his authority to silence the priest.
I truly think the bishop is jealous and a little fearful of this priest due to his popularity and is trying to exert his dominance over him.

As far as the CovCath controversy, I'm not a huge CovCath fan. I know a lot of CovCath alumni, and have several in my family. The school and some of its parents and kids have their faults, but in the case, they are not at fault. The diocese rolled over quickly to be politically correct, and it just reinforces my distaste for Bishop Foys.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent OpEd in yesterday’s WSJ defending these students. Unable to post for the group just now.
I worked in the Louisville, Kentucky Catholic High School system for 17 years. They were very good about fact checking before nailing hides to walls. CovCath Bishop aught to be ashamed, as should certain politicians in our area for their rush to judgement before all facts out.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 88 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tk13, I appreciate your knowledgeable response, I’d have no choice but to quit.

Pope Francis helped me see the light, I left.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would allow my child to be part of an organization that would do the irreparable harm that church has done to those kids. I can't believe they failed them like that. Why was there a need to condemn the kids before getting at least a cursory understanding of what happened? Why not wait for the additional video, they knew more had to exist it was a protest, everyone is filming. Why not interview the kids first? Or at least call them if they couldn't wait a day for the bus to return home?

What a horrible failure from the church/diocese. I would immediately leave that church and find a different school for my child.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20849 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I am not a religious type. I was raised catholic but disliked the hypocrisy I saw within the religion as a whole. It seems that the sect has become so embroiled in social justice bullshit that it is sliding irrevocably in the wrong direction. And I blame the commie in the silly hat at the top.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15633 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I wish the parishioners would say enough & oust that bishop! I’d be leaving that parish pronto.

It doesn't work that way in the catholic church. There are roughly 50 parishes in the diocese, which covers 14 counties in north east Kentucky. Those of us in the diocese have no say in who is appointed bishop. If we don't like a priest, our only choice is to "vote with out feet" and joining another parish. If we don't like the bishop, we would have to go to a parish in another diocese or leave the church altogether.

Bishop Foys is the 10th bishop in the history of our diocese and the 4th since I've been alive. When he first became bishop, I really liked him because he seemed down to earth compared to his predecessors. He gave the sacrament of confirmation to both our sons, and I was impressed with his interaction with the school aged children. However, in subsequent years, I have changed my opinion of him due to some decisions he has made.

Most recently, our parish found out that the bishop had put a gag order on our parish priest. This priest is very popular and has brought people into the parish from all over the tri-state region due to his personality. In the past year, this priest has had to deal with some personal issues, which were caused by a jealous priest and exasperated by the diocese. Our priest, who has been vocal about the faults of the church regarding covering up the past sex abuse by priests, has tried to be transparent about his personal struggle. But the bishop keeps using his authority to silence the priest.
I truly think the bishop is jealous and a little fearful of this priest due to his popularity and is trying to exert his dominance over him.

As far as the CovCath controversy, I'm not a huge CovCath fan. I know a lot of CovCath alumni, and have several in my family. The school and some of its parents and kids have their faults, but in the case, they are not at fault. The diocese rolled over quickly to be politically correct, and it just reinforces my distaste for Bishop Foys.

As a local to this scene I have to agree 100% with your last paragraph.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why was there a need to condemn the kids before getting at least a cursory understanding of what happened?

Virtue signaling. It's the same reason that many on the right also immediately condemned these kids. Mad

There is enough video that everyone now knows the real story-- even those who condemn these kids. The fact that the MSM, along with Chief Slinging Bull and other Leftists, have doubled down shows their malice. They know these kids did nothing wrong. But they were wearing MAGA caps, so they are the enemy. They must be destroyed.

This is the kind of impasse-- "We don't care about truth, we just want to destroy you"-- that precedes widespread violence.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Fortunately the man doesn’t make the Church. Popes and diocesan Bishops come and go. Priests come and go but the truth is still the truth. For me, being Catholic isn’t like changing underwear when it no longer suits you. Rather, you cherish the good leaders while you have them and you endure the bad ones while they wear the cloth.

Because of the sex abuse scandles within the church over the last 20 years, these bishops are primed at the pump to respond quickly and decisively to acts unbecoming of the church and illegal to the law. Surely, assuming the best about the man, this was the intent of the diocese leadership. In this case, they responded quickly but relied solely on the fake media reports for their information. Hopefully, this diocese will gets the facts in order ASAP and act quickly to reverse their initial position and instead defend and support their youth and their school; neither of whom did anything wrong.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hopefully at some point they may possibly set the record straight? There is no way to undo the harm done to them. The only way they could lesson it was to come out as soon as possible, eat crow, and admit they really screwed up.

I understand your faith, that doesn't mean being faithful to bad employees of the church.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20849 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'm going to guess that it will start as a normal day. Some incident, like the one that initiated this thread will occur. Unfortunately a pair of individuals , or a group of individuals on either side won't handle it well and it will explode. Things will degrade quickly after that with Anti-fa and other groups seeing its license to after the opposition. Sides will align and no where will be safe. It will start slow and build. History will look back and say "why didn't they see this coming and stop it?"

It won't be like the last one with a dividing line, it will be messy and ugly. Police and National Guard will be caught in the middle in a vain attempt to keep the peace, probably hated by both sides.

Never ending handouts are really the only thing keeping the FSA (Free Shit Army) relatively pacified for the time being. I think that having EBT cards cut back or turned off altogether is another big potential tipping point for large scale civil unrest from the Left. If the gov shut down continues long enough we may see that scenario sooner rather than later.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
There is no way I would allow my child to be part of an organization that would do the irreparable harm that church has done to those kids. I can't believe they failed them like that. Why was there a need to condemn the kids before getting at least a cursory understanding of what happened? Why not wait for the additional video, they knew more had to exist it was a protest, everyone is filming. Why not interview the kids first? Or at least call them if they couldn't wait a day for the bus to return home?

What a horrible failure from the church/diocese. I would immediately leave that church and find a different school for my child.

Skins,
While I agree with you that the "need to condemn the kids before getting at least a cursory understanding of what happened" is a horrible failure from the church/diocese. The Bishop clearly jumped to judgement and got it wrong. However, leaving the school may not be the best option for the boys, at least not in the middle of a school year.

The parents of these boys are in a tough position. They may dislike the actions of the Bishop but their kids may like the school overall. Yes, a bad apple can eventually ruin the entire barrel, but in this case the good at that school may outweigh the bad. It's a decision each family has to make every year when they commit to re-enrollment and tuition.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Nathan Phillips is a serial agitator, and a nutcase:

"I Forgive Him": Nathan Phillips Says Covington Students Need "Sensitivity Training" After "Coached, Insincere" Interview

Even if the full-length video showing Native American activist Nathan Phillips and a hate group known as the Black Hebrew Israelites blatantly confronting and harassing the Nick Sandmann and his fellow students from Covington High School during last week's March for Life played on a 24-hour loop on every cable news channel in the country, NBC News would probably still insist that Sandmann was somehow at fault, and that Phillips, who has since been exposed for lying about his service in Vietnam, was the victim of racially motivated harassment.

And so it is that during a segment on Thursday's Today Show, the network once again lent a microphone to Philips, who used his time to scold Sandmann and his fellow Covington Catholic students while insisting that they undergo "some kind of sensitivity training." Phillips added that, though their behavior "upset" him, he would like to "forgive" Sandmann and his peers.

After attending a "traditional prayer ceremony", Philips said he "woke up with all kinds of good feelings in my heart" and that this had softened his anger toward the Covington kids.

In terms of Phillips' impression about the kids' statement, Phillips said he felt it seemed "coached and written up for him"... and that it displayed an "insincerity" and a "lack of responsibility".

<div style="position:relative; padding-bottom:63%; padding-bottom:-webkit-calc(56.25% + 50px); padding-bottom:calc(56.25% + 50px); height: 0;"></div>

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Once again, the internets never forget. Check this twitter thread allegedly taken from Nathan Phillips' Facebook page. I have not confirmed anything, but the videos at least seem legit. There is a problem with some of the videos not being synced to the sound, but that's probably just due to a poor connection when it was recorded/uploaded.

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1088243329375051776

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to edit my post because the video is blocking the edit feature... and the video isn't displaying within the post. Ugh!

-rduckwor

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I can't edit my post either, or delete it, or reply to it. Odd.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I guess the div commands broke the thread?

Edit: Ok, I can edit and reply to this particular post, but nothing between it and chem's post beginning with "Nathan Phillips is a serial agitator, and a nutcase:"

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Philips needs to just walk in front of a bus. What a useless waste of life.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
At the link I posed above are several videos of Phillips straight up lying about his service.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one with a huge video of Iron Eyes Cody 2.0 covering up the thread?

Posts: 20132 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it is-covers half the page!

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Am I the only one with a huge video of Iron Eyes Cody 2.0 covering up the thread?

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post