SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated new Qs-pg2; Bulk dried beans/lentils/legumes source?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated new Qs-pg2; Bulk dried beans/lentils/legumes source? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since my last order so just placed another with Mount Hope Wholesale.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Adobe Mills in Dove Creek Colorado sells bulk beans. I’ve bought Anasazi beans several times from them. 10lb for $13.00.

https://www.anasazibeans.com/

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I've purchased from here several times. Good stuff, good service.

Rancho Gordo

Outstanding place for beans. I go into their store a couple of times a year.
If you're looking for heirloom or, just really good beans for a chili or, cassoulet, Rancho is my go-to.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I've purchased from here several times. Good stuff, good service.

Rancho Gordo

Outstanding place for beans. I go into their store a couple of times a year.
If you're looking for heirloom or, just really good beans for a chili or, cassoulet, Rancho is my go-to.

Their hot sauces are great, too.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve been meaning to do this for a while.

Follow up question: How are y’all storing them and how long do they stay fresh?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve been meaning to do this for a while.

Follow up question: How are y’all storing them and how long do they stay fresh?

Here are three options
- Wash 1L and 2L plastic bottles from carbonated drinks and use them for rice, beans, etc. It's easy to pour from those and they're good for storage. For long term storage, you can look into injecting CO2 into them and they're good for years. (There was a thread here about that a few months ago.)

- Get some food rated buckets with silicone seals in the lids, fill with dry goods, then add some oxygen absorbers and tap on the lid. Our local grocery store bakery sometimes gives away 3gal and 5gal frosting buckets they're going to recycle and those work well, or you can buy them online.

- Dry canning can work and doesn't require a pressure canner. Fill jars with rice or such, heat in oven at 200F for an hour, then add lids, verify they seal, and store somewhere for years.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Get some mylar bags for storage before putting them in the buckets.

You can seal them with an ordinary household iron, and perhaps a small board to provide a lip for the seal. There are tons of YouTube videos on this.

Mason Jars, if you have a Food Saver vacuum machine it may or may not have come with an attachment to vacuum seal the lids on. I recently purchased 2, 1 is for the narrow mouth, the other for the wide mouth. Works great. Plenty of YouTube videos on this too.

And, of course, a Food Saver vacuum machine is really good. Get a good one, Costco carries them all the time and has sales every few months. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy the other brand el cheapo bags, they typically do not seal well. Use the Food Saver brand.

For the food grade buckets and storage, especially grains, I have not personally tried this yet, but I've been told adding a very small piece of Dry Ice will push the oxygen out as well as freezing the grains to prevent bug larvae. Do your own research on this.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I don't fault all the various suggestions here, but being rather redundant, I vote to support fellow forum members when possible.

The order I placed with Beancooker's firm yesterday is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. Great service! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I will look into Beancooker's firm; until now we have been using Palousebrand.com for red winter wheat for our bread, and recently ordered brown lentils and split peas.
Rice we like to order from Lundberg Farms in Northern California.
Recently my wife ordered some canned wheat berries from the LDS online store. Less expensive per pound than Palouse (Palouse wheat 25# sacks recently went up from $37 to $54!). Two of the cans were dented, so we'll use those soon for bread.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I haven’t ordered beans from Mount Hope (Beancooker’s place), but I ordered a bunch of dried fruit and dried mushrooms and nuts and stuff like that. Not for long term emergency prep storage but for cooking and snacks and whatnot.

I thought the quality of everything I got was excellent and thought the prices were very reasonable for what I was getting.

I was especially pleased with the dried mushrooms, which are often very expensive and not all that good at the grocery store.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I haven’t ordered beans from Mount Hope (Beancooker’s place), but I ordered a bunch of dried fruit and dried mushrooms and nuts and stuff like that. Not for long term emergency prep storage but for cooking and snacks and whatnot.

I thought the quality of everything I got was excellent and thought the prices were very reasonable for what I was getting.

I was especially pleased with the dried mushrooms, which are often very expensive and not all that good at the grocery store.

Maladat, I’m really happy to hear that. Mount Hope has always carried quality products, but when I started I made it my mission to make sure I was getting the highest quality product, while keeping costs affordable. We changed many items and increased the quality significantly, while not increasing prices. While doing this I have done everything possible to source products from countries that are trusted to produce clean and healthy foods.
We taste more items per week that most would ever wish to taste. If it’s a new lot (which is most always) it gets looked at, tasted, etc.

I know we are a small business, but I hope that someday I can be compared to Costco’s Kirkland brand. This is what I explain to employees. When you buy anything with a Kirkland label (aside of their beer), you know it will be good. You know that they won’t put their name on a shit product. I want our label to be the same in the culinary world. When a chef sees it, he knows whatever is in that bag, is the best product available.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Order placed last week Beancooker. Delivers this week. Thanks!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Just put in a varied order with Mount Hope.

Thanks for the discount code Beancooker.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My order arrived today.
The Medjool dates are super quality. Glad to have re-supplied my Autumn Blend lentils as well. Big Grin

Thanks Noah!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Mount Hope delivered the goods today! Looks outstanding. May have to delve back into the shopping cart.

Curious what people do for their lentils? I do old-school one recipe. Open for new ideas. TIA

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Curious what people do for their lentils? I do old-school one recipe. Open for new ideas. TIA

OMG Big Grin
...lentil sausage stew for one.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1050031174/p/1

...Cabbage vegetable lentil soup for another
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...830013684#2830013684

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bald1

Similar to your stew, I make it with onions salary carrots bacon and typically some sausage.

Just curious if there is more out there the cabbage version looks interesting!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
OK, didn’t want to start a new thread.

It looks like a food vacuum sealer makes a ton of sense. What do people like and why? Right now I’m primarily concerned with just dried grains and legumes. I have also looked at the alternative mow Mylar bags with oxygen removers.

Maybe this should be directed at @beancooker as well? Also for BC, any need to freeze the beans prior to storage for larvae?

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
OK, didn’t want to start a new thread.

It looks like a food vacuum sealer makes a ton of sense. What do people like and why? Right now I’m primarily concerned with just dried grains and legumes. I have also looked at the alternative mow Mylar bags with oxygen removers.

Went through this very issue late last year. Opted for a Nesco VS-12 vacuum sealer which we've been very pleased with. A good friend, who is a sous vide enthusiast, has had his for a couple years and raves about it.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you bald1

~Robert A. Heinlein