SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Smile

No Charges

http://www.startribune.com/no-...intruders/417988273/

OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma prosecutor says no charges will be filed against a 23-year-old man who fatally shot three intruders in his home, but that the woman who drove them there is being charged with first-degree murder.

Wagoner County Assistant District Attorney Jack Thorp said Monday that Zach Peters "acted justifiably" March 27 when he shot Maxwell Cook, Jacob Redfern and Jakob Woodruff at his home just outside the Tulsa suburb of Broken Arrow.

Thorp also said 21-year-old Elizabeth Rodriquez was charged with three counts of first-degree murder. Rodriquez has said she drove the three men to Peters' home to burglarize it, but doesn't feel responsible in their deaths.{quote}

Oklahoma is one of those few states today that can still use common sense when it comes to this kind of thing.....it is also one of the states where the people know how to use, and own, a firearm. Glad to hear that no charges will be filed. This is good advertisement for other folks thinking about giving the B&E thing a try.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Glad to see the kid will not face charges.

I'm a little surprised that they're going after the driver for first degree murder. I don't know OK law, but I thought that usually implied the murder was premeditated. I would think it would be something like what around here is second degree murder (depraved indifference.)

I have no idea, but I would say that since the initial act of robbery was pre-meditated, then the resulting death could also be considered that way.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I'm a little surprised that they're going after the driver for first degree murder. I don't know OK law, but I thought that usually implied the murder was premeditated. I would think it would be something like what around here is second degree murder (depraved indifference.)

I have no idea, but I would say that since the initial act of robbery was pre-meditated, then the resulting death could also be considered that way.
Yup, that's the law in a lot of states.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Smile

No Charges

In that case, he was probably able to keep his legal bills closer to $50,000 rather than $100,000. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Smile

No Charges

In that case, he was probably able to keep his legal bills closer to $50,000 rather than $100,000. Roll Eyes

I bet he'll have no problem paying those bills with support from the NRA or a 2A Go-Fund-Me.

That kid will not get financially screwed, methinks.

I'd donate.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I doubt there was a lot of legal wrangling necessary on his behalf. This is a pretty straight forward case in a free state. He may have retained a lawyer and that lawyer may have had a couple of meetings with the DA. I would be surprised if his legal bills top $10k I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were less than $5k.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Smile

No Charges

I bet he'll have no problem paying those bills with support from the NRA or a 2A Go-Fund-Me.

That kid will not get financially screwed, methinks.

I'd donate.

Forgot my sarcasm font. I doubt he has much of a legal bill at all.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
A civil suit is probably forthcoming.
If a judge won't throw it out, the homeowner's son will incur legal expenses.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Thankfully some states toss those out as well as soon as its justified SYG / SD. Florida being one of them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I doubt there was a lot of legal wrangling necessary on his behalf. This is a pretty straight forward case in a free state. He may have retained a lawyer and that lawyer may have had a couple of meetings with the DA. I would be surprised if his legal bills top $10k I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were less than $5k.
Besides, its better than being DEAD. Wink

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:

If Oklahoma's Castle Doctrine law is anything like Colorado's law, there can be no civil suits against the homeowner/occupant. This is really the advantage of Castle Doctrine laws, is that they bar civil suit by the criminal or their families. Full text of Colorado Law with some annotations below.

quote:
18-1-704.5. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(1) The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

(3) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

(4) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

Source: L. 85: Entire section added, p. 662, ß 1, effective June 6.

Cross references: For limitations on civil suits against persons using physical force in defense of a person or to prevent the commission of a felony, see ß 13-80-119.

ANNOTATION

Am. Jur.2d. See 6 Am. Jur.2d, Assault and Battery, ßß 57, 58, 60; 40 Am. Jur.2d, Homicide, ßß 170-173.

C.J.S. See 40 C.J.S., Homicide, ßß 149-152, 164-167, 172.

Law reviews. For article, "Self-Defense in Colorado", see 24 Colo. Law. 2717 (1995).

Prerequisite for immunity under this section is an unlawful entry into the dwelling, meaning a knowing, criminal entry. People v. McNeese, 892 P.2d 304 (Colo. 1995).

To be immune from prosecution under this section a defendant must establish by a preponderance of the evidence that he or she had a reasonable belief that the intruder was committing or intended to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry. This inquiry focuses on the reasonable belief of the occupant, not on the actual conduct of the intruder. People v. McNeese, 892 P.2d 304 (Colo. 1995).

Sufficient evidence existed to support trial court's denial of defendant's pre-trial motion to dismiss on the basis defendant had not met his burden as established by the supreme court. People v. Janes, 962 P.2d 315 (Colo. App. 1998).

Trial court is authorized to dismiss criminal prosecution at pretrial stage when conditions of statute are satisfied, and this does not infringe upon prosecution's discretion to file charges. People v. Guenther, 740 P.2d 971 (Colo. 1987); Young v. District Court, 740 P.2d 982 (Colo. 1987).

Defendant bears burden of establishing right to immunity by preponderance of evidence when issue of immunity is raised at pre-trial stage. People v. Guenther, 740 P.2d 971 (Colo. 1987); People v. Eckert, 919 P.2d 962 (Colo. App. 1996).

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Yup, that's the law in a lot of states.

It's generally referred to as "Felony Murder." Meaning if you are a participant in a specified felony and someone dies, even if it's one of your co-defendants, you are charged with first degree murder. No premeditation required.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Boom, the perps families can eat a bag of dicks WRT the 'civil suit'.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Honest question here: I would imagine a home defender would be more like a soldier, i.e. any stranger breaking and entering the home would be seen as imminent threat and would be engaged beyond arm's each? It'd be unwise to engage physically in this case imho.

Well, I’ll circle back to my comments about what we imagine might happen in various incidents.

I can’t speak for every house in America, but in mine there are some pretty restricted spaces even when moving from room to room. Not every encounter is likely to occur across a living room or down a hallway. Although it would be difficult (and really unnecessary) to describe exactly the sorts of scenarios that could reasonably involve an attacker’s suddenly closing with the defender and grappling with him and without the defender being able to engage him with a long gun, they are certainly in the realm of reasonable possibility. Once the attacker has gotten to that point a long gun is unlikely to be of much use.*

If we go back to the original incident reported in this thread, how might things have turned out if one of the home invaders had been able to grab the defender’s rifle? Remember that even as poorly armed as the BGs were, they had at least one knife among them. If someone is being jerked around by his/her weapon and it’s impossible to point it effectively, how vulnerable would she/he be to the other two?

As for the effectiveness of defensive measures to deal with that sort of close quarters physical attack, I’ve already stated my views in an earlier post, but in short they may work for some people, but not everyone. If, however, someone is has given all these issues study and thought, and is comfortable with his (most likely will be a his) capabilities, I would not presume to suggest he not do what he thinks is best. I offer my comments for those who may not have considered all the factors involved due to ignorance or oversight. I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, but rather to help ensure that minds are made up after considering everything.

* That’s one of the things I point out in my response to active shooter classes: A defensive attack on a rifle or shotgun that holds it firmly and pushes the muzzle down makes it extremely difficult to do anything other than fire a shot toward the ground. And depending on how it’s done, that may also cause a malfunction that’s difficult to impossible to clear while being attacked. I also point out that in such a situation it’s not enough for one person to render the weapon ineffective. It’s necessary for defenders to follow up with their own attacks on the assailant, and I usually cite specific examples of what to do in the most probable likelihood that they don’t have firearms. All that of course requires the presence of more than one defender.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think OK allows civil suit in this case.

OK § 21-1289.25 PHYSICAL OR DEADLY FORCE AGAINST INTRUDER

State: Oklahoma

Title 21. Penal Code

§ 21-1289.25 PHYSICAL OR DEADLY FORCE AGAINST INTRUDER

Bunch of stuff skipped.

F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

G. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
If Oklahoma's Castle Doctrine law is anything like Colorado's law, there can be no civil suits against the homeowner/occupant. This is really the advantage of Castle Doctrine laws, is that they bar civil suit by the criminal or their families.
Here is what I found on Oklahoma's Law:
quote:
TITLE 21 § 1289.25 PHYSICAL OR DEADLY FORCE AGAINST INTRUDER
F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thankfully some states toss those out as well as soon as its justified SYG / SD. Florida being one of them.

Better yet. Not only does OK afford civil immunity in cases of self-defense, but if if they file suit anyway, the individual being sued can recover attorney and trial fees from the party who attempted it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 24 - Homicide
Murder
Section 701.7 - Murder in the First Degree
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. A person commits murder in the first degree when that person unlawfully and with malice aforethought causes the death of another human being. Malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take away the life of a human being, which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof.

B. A person also commits the crime of murder in the first degree, regardless of malice, when that person or any other person takes the life of a human being during, or if the death of a human being results from, the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances or synthetic controlled substances, trafficking in illegal drugs, or manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance.

It's pretty common here to charge Murder 1 here in this circumstance.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
quote:

Better yet. Not only does OK afford civil immunity in cases of self-defense, but if if they file suit anyway, the individual being sued can recover attorney and trial fees from the party who attempted it.

^^^Correct in both statute and case law. One of the many reasons I put up with the crazy weather. Smile

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post