SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NCAA Football Rivalry Weekend - The Iron Bowl, The Game, etc.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NCAA Football Rivalry Weekend - The Iron Bowl, The Game, etc. Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Decorum Request - please don't thread shit.
  • If all you have to contribute is something akin to "I don't watch football" then move along.
  • Keep the ribbing good natured or at least goodish natured

Some of the longest standing rivalries in college football are reserved for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Who do y'all think will win? Are you brave enough to say whether or not a team covers the spread? Apologies for any rivaly games I didn't list. Feel free to add them and make predictions.

Friday:
  • The Territorial Cup - University of Arizona vs. Arizona State 3:00 PM on FS1. Arizona is favored by 4 points, and they’ll both win and cover.
  • Heroes Trophy: Nebraska Cornhuskers at Iowa Hawkeyes. 4:00 PM eastern time on BTN. Big Ten West representative at the Big Ten Championship at stake for the Hawkeyes as they own the tie-breaker with Purdue so they control their own destiny with a win. IA is favored by 10.5 points. Unfortunately for Purdue, IA wins but fails to cover.
  • Sunshine Showdown: Florida Gators at #16 Florida State Seminoles - 7:30 PM eastern time on ABC. The Seminoles are favored by 10 points. FL St wins but fails to cover.

Saturday:
  • The Game: #3 University of Michigan Wolverines at #2 The Ohio State Buckeyes - Noon eastern time on Fox. The Buckeyes are favored by 8 points and have won 17 out of the last 21 match-ups. Buckeyes win and cover.
  • Governor's Cup: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at #1 Georgia Bulldogs - noon eastern time on ESPN. The bulldogs are favored by 35.5 points. Bulldogs win but don't cover.
  • The Iron Bowl: Auburn Tigers at #7 Alabama Crimson Tide - 3:30 eastern time on CBS. Alabama is favored by 22. Crimson Tide wins and covers.
  • Platypus Trophy: #9 Oregon Ducks at #21 Oregon State Beavers - 3:30 eastern time on ABC. The Ducks are favored by 3. Beavers pull off the upset.
  • The Old Oaken Bucket: Purdue University Boilermakers at Indiana University Hosers - 3:30 eastern time on BTN. My Boilermakers are favored by 10.5. A win today would put the Boilermakers in contention for Big Ten Championship appearance but as posted earlier they don’t control their own destiny (i.e. require unlikely Nebraska win). Purdue wins and covers.
  • Paul Bunyan's Axe: Minnesota Golden Gophers AT Wisconsin Badgers - 3:30 eastern time on ESPN. The Badgers are favored by 3. Badgers win and cover.
  • Palmetto Bowl: South Carolina Gamecocks at #8 Clemson Tigers - Noon eastern time on ABC. The Tigers are favored by 14.5. Clemson wins and covers.

As far as games with trophies, AZ vs AZ St started the trophy in their first match-up in 1899 making it the oldest trophy in college football. Not the longest rivalry playing today but others were late to the game on trophy, lost trophies, or political correctness made them change trophy. Some of the other older rivalries:
  • MN - WI first played 1890 but trophy was 1948. Original trophy started in 1930 but disappeared in 1943.
  • Purdue - IU first played 1891 but trophy was 1925
  • Iron Bowl first played 1893 but 1948 trophy
  • GA - GA Tech first played 1893 but 1994 trophy
  • OR - OR St first played 1894 but 1959 trophy. Lost for 40 years and reinstated 2007.
  • Clemson - SC first played 1896 but trophy didn't start until 1980
  • The Game first played 1897 but no trophy

Example of good natured ribbing:

Example of goodish natured ribbing:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Equal Opportunity Mocker
    Picture of slabsides45
    posted Hide Post
    Dude... You neglected the Egg Bowl, which has been going since 1901, featuring in-state rivals Mississippi State University (we need more cowbell) vs Ole Miss (Potty Totty).

The game was played last night and turned out to be a bit of a poopfest, but the good guys won. MSU 24-22.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
    -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Don't Panic
    Picture of joel9507
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • The Old Oaken Bucket: Purdue University Boilermakers at Indiana University Hosers - 3:30 eastern time on BTN. My Boilermakers are favored by 10.5. ...

Example of good natured ribbing:

• Methinks you might have snuck a good-natured-ribbing example in, up front! Smile

Don't have a dog in that hunt, may the best team win! That goes for them all, hope they're good, close, fun-to-watch games.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    OHIO state will win. I cannot stand Harbaugh. OSU will then play Georgia for the Championship.
    You also left out one of the oldest rivalries in College football. USC VS ND. The jeweled shillelagh is at stake.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Don’t like my chances but that doesn’t change my loyalties. Go Jackets!

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    hello darkness
    my old friend
    Picture of gw3971
    posted Hide Post
    Territorial cup. Can't wait. Our Arizona football program hasn't been worth mentioning in twenty years. Still isn't really but we have a chance to beat the Scum devils. Bear Down!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Altitude Minimum
    Picture of BOATTRASH1
    posted Hide Post
    Well, if we can pull off a win against Florida’s Second Rate University then I’ll be a happy camper. Beating T A&M was great. Hopefully it is an “on week” for the Gators.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by gw3971:
    Territorial cup. Can't wait. Our Arizona football program hasn't been worth mentioning in twenty years. Still isn't really but we have a chance to beat the Scum devils. Bear Down!

Yessir, Go Cats
    Bear Down

Oh, and Iowa has bad corn.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Free men do not ask
    permission to bear arms
    Picture of George43
    posted Hide Post
    I don't watch Football.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
    The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Altitude Minimum
    Picture of BOATTRASH1
    posted Hide Post
    Then why are you here?
    Did you even read the second and third sentence of the Op?
    Or was your post sarcasm?

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    OHIO state will win. I cannot stand Harbaugh. OSU will then play Georgia for the Championship.
    You also left out one of the oldest rivalries in College football. USC VS ND. The jeweled shillelagh is at stake.

I hope you're right about the OSU win and I'm convinced that Harbaugh has a screw loose besides being a jackass.

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I watched both teams play, and based it upon that. Also they are playing in Columbus.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ch23701
    posted Hide Post
    Todd,

You forgot about the prestigious Land of Lincoln Game between the Northwestern Wildcats and the Illinois Illini. How could you? Of course the Wildcats win this one and move to 2-10.

And of course you guys are right about Harbaugh…real idiot.

Posts: 255 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Genorogers:
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I hope you're right about the OSU win and I'm convinced that Harbaugh has a screw loose besides being a jackass.

The best thing about michigan football is watching Harbaughs' sideline tantrums.
    In the Iron Bowl, Cadillac has the team fired up. They may not win but hopefully they scare the Hell out of Sabin. WAR EAGLE!

Posts: 686 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Big Ten West representative at the Big Ten Championship at stake for the Hawkeyes as they own the tie-breaker with Purdue so they control their own destiny with a win. IA is favored by 10.5 points. Unfortunately for Purdue, IA wins but fails to cover.

Whoops

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Hope I didn’t speak too soon. I don’t like Iowa, and it colors my thinking

Hold Fast
    Picture of Butch 2340
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Governor's Cup: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at #1 Georgia Bulldogs - noon eastern time on ESPN. The bulldogs are favored by 35.5 points. Bulldogs win but don't cover.

We call it clean old fashion hate in Georgia.

******************************************************************************
    Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    Big Ten West representative at the Big Ten Championship at stake for the Hawkeyes as they own the tie-breaker with Purdue so they control their own destiny with a win. IA is favored by 10.5 points. Unfortunately for Purdue, IA wins but fails to cover.

Whoops

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Way to go Cornhuskers!!!

Purdue controls their own destiny tomorrow, and needs to beat IU to go to the Big Ten Championship.

Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I know…right?