SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are your obligations when Police ask for ID?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your obligations when Police ask for ID? Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
At about 36:00 of this video the Capitol Police ask for the Twitter guy’s ID.

I am a bit less trusting of Law Enforcement now that we seemingly have drifted fully into cancel culture and two tiers of justice.

With the focus on targeting conservatives by politicians and the media I am a bit leery of motive.
Law Enforcement has been used to enforce rules handed down by Governor Dictators, so I don’t think it is beyond reason to question how your ID may be used against you in the future.

Not so sure I would want to give an officer my ID if I have done nothing wrong considering how corrupt our government has become.

Not as concerned with an individual officer, as I am to possible abuse of a database where your name would be entered.

What if he had not given the officer his ID?
What would have happened then?

Beyond my question, it is interesting to see in the video what D.C. looks like today.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you’re on foot or in public, Some states have what are called “Stop and Identify” statutes that require someone suspected of criminal activity to provide identification to police, making refusal a crime.

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Walking around on public land isn't criminal and the U.S. isn't Nazi Germany or a Commie State. I/You/We are not required to carry papers or present such.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Beyond my question, it is interesting to see in the video what D.C. looks like today.

I find it disgusting, disgraceful, and just downright embarrassing to see the the US Capitol barricaded like that from the American people.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
^^^Agreed!

Posts: 11173 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Show your papers or go to jail, according to the Hiibel case:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...rict_Court_of_Nevada

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'm watching the series. It's titled The Handmaids Tale.

Also reading the book. It's titled Animal Farm.

Not sure if my entertainment is fiction, history or, prophecy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You mean The Handmaid's Tale? And, the same titled book?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You mean The Handmaid's Tale? And, the same titled book?

Yes. Just started season.2

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
The law varies from state to state. I live in PA and we aren't a stop and ID state. We don't have to provide it if detained but can't be held longer while they try to figure out who you are.

I try to show respect to law enforcement at all times but the idea of law enforcement using my info in some form of database also concerns me. Same goes that if a crime did occur in an area and the only name they have on file is mine, guess who the #1 suspect is? No thanks.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I find it disgusting, disgraceful, and just downright embarrassing to see the the US Capitol barricaded like that from the American people.

Amen

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Read the Patriot Act....

The White House has been barricaded for years...there are two fences and two sets of security gates you have to go through to get in.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Read the Patriot Act....

The White House has been barricaded for years...there are two fences and two sets of security gates you have to go through to get in.

This is quite an absurd defense of what the Biden Administration is doing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I didn’t watch the video.

Ask if you are being detained, if no-then walk away.

If yes-then give em your ID. Sometimes refusing to ID can lead to resist/obstruct/delay charges on top of whatever charge the officer is thinking of hitting you with. And here’s the thing, do you know all the laws? The officer might be using his city’s ordinances to enforce some archaic BS that’s a left over from Jim Crow laws, local exclusion, secret service perimeter you just walked into etc.....you don’t know.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
A "sovereign" citizen has no need to present anyone with ID. Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
As my grandmother used to say. "Choose your battles wisely"

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Ask if you are being detained, if no-then walk away.

If yes-then give em your ID. Sometimes refusing to ID can lead to resist/obstruct/delay charges on top of whatever charge the officer is thinking of hitting you with. And here’s the thing, do you know all the laws? The officer might be using his city’s ordinances to enforce some archaic BS that’s a left over from Jim Crow laws, local exclusion, secret service perimeter you just walked into etc.....you don’t know.

This. You don't know, what you don't know. In areas that have experienced a rash of crimes, vehicle burglaries, for example, laws that the public knows little about can be helpful to law enforcement in stopping and/or solving major crimes. A simple jay walking or bicycle violation can turn up a person refusing to provide ID. Upon arrest, that person is found with several cell phone chargers, loose change, and often a handgun; all usually from unlocked cars. The vehicle burglary and stolen handgun will get reported when the owner leaves for work and finds their unlocked car ransacked.

In an area like DC, in today's environment, I can understand how such laws could be helpful in potentially identifying those plotting civil unrest. To be clear, as MikeinNC stated, if you're certain you have not committed any violations, upon confirming you're not being detained, walk away...this is still America!

Posts: 849 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, choose wisely BUT, there is no requirement to carry ID unless engaging in a specific activity requiring one, such as driving. They may ask your name, and you may give it. California is the exception.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IANAL ... i am generally very respectful of LE

if they are investigating a crime -- you may be required to ID yourself

not having a physical ID is not a crime (unless you are driving of course...)

but some random cop walking up and asking hey buddy what's your name -- no requirement to provide info ...

i'm sure there is case law on all this.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
A "sovereign" citizen has no need to present anyone with ID. Big Grin

Exactly. The interwebs say that One Weird Trick to avoid ever having to ID yourself is stating that per Admiralty Law you are a Free Traveler on a journey who has divested himself of his corporate shell personage and who does not wish to create joinder with that officer.

Seems like a solid legal argument to me. Big Grin

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post