SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 ... 1085
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ a few up
“Merchan is obviously disgusted by Costello, whose testimony has thrown a huge wrench into Bragg's case, unlike anything we have seen thus far this entire show trial. Fireworks!”

What!? Judge Merchan isn’t an impartial arbiter? Say it ain’t so Juan!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9290 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Does anyone feel like Cohen is workin FOR trump? In the netflix documentary on Trump they mentioned Trump used to leak things intentionally to control the narrative. Is that a stretch and reality is Cohen is just a liar? You dont have to worry about what hand theyll play against you if you already know it. Of course it costs a lot to pay these lawyers.

Maybe just my mind running wild.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8237 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Definitely an odd duck. For certain, Cohen is a pathological liar, but also, I think he's stupid. I don't mean that as an insult. I think the guy is genuinely stupid. Just look at his clumsy behavior.

As for this NY case, this is some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen in a courtroom. There is no case, no crime. The Democrats have done themselves no favors with this nonsense, although they may still find Donald Trump guilty. If they do, it will be a true miscarriage of justice, and anyone who cares to look at the evidence, or the complete lack thereof, will realize what has happened, and that will be very bad for the Trump haters.

Posts: 108621 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
https://x.com/alx/status/1792756917577683372

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30754 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Defense Rests, Trump Won't Take the Stand in Manhattan Clown Show

https://hotair.com/ed-morrisse...-clown-show-n3788771

This is the smart move, of course, and would have been even without Cohen's bizarre contributions to this clown-show prosecution. Trump has a discipline problem when speaking extemporaneously, and that's the last thing defense attorneys need in a criminal trial. Prosecutors may have botched their preparations for Cohen, but they undoubtedly have spent months strategizing how to trick Trump into contradictions and lead him into perjury traps. Even on direct examination, Trump would likely have improvised in ways that allow prosecutors to bring in previously irrelevant testimony and make his situation worse than better.

Next up are closing arguments, which apparently will start a week from today. There may be another motion for a directed verdict by the defense on the basis that Alvin Bragg's team still has not identified the felony crime that Trump allegedly tried to cover up with the false business ledger entries, which is the mechanism by which Bragg turned misdemeanors into felonies in the first place. Judge Juan Merchan does not appear inclined to stop the trial for any reason, not even prosecutorial misconduct for allowing Cohen to testify falsely last week, so this will go to the jury.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Merchan needs time to figure out how he can win this trial.

Posts: 3074 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Frankly, the outcome of this trial was determined during Jury selection.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30754 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
If the Dims pull this off, there SHOULD be total hell to pay!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Most likely very true!

Posts: 4689 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many are, imagine that the judge is simply wanting to let it run it's course and see what the Jury says, he should have shut this down after the prosecutions case was presented.

Posts: 23962 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
If the Dims pull this off, there SHOULD be total hell to pay!!!

quote:

Most likely very true!
I'm actually curious to hear how the jury instruction shakes out.

Seems to me Merchan will have to include the laws that were broken in the instructions and I'm not convinced that will end up being all that clear. Likely his last chance to manipulate the trial, guess we'll see.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6309 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Alan Dershowitz Op-Ed today:

quote:

I was inside the court when the judge closed the Trump trial, and what I saw shocked me

By Alan Dershowitz
Published May 21, 2024
NY Post

I have observed and participated in trials throughout the world. I have seen justice and injustice in China, Russia, Ukraine, England, France, Italy, Israel, as well as in nearly 40 of our 50 states.

But in my 60 years as a lawyer and law professor, I have never seen a spectacle such as the one I observed sitting in the front row of the courthouse yesterday.

The judge in Donald Trump’s trial was an absolute tyrant, though he appeared to the jury to be a benevolent despot. He seemed automatically to be ruling against the defendant at every turn.

Many experienced lawyers raised their eyebrows when the judge excluded obviously relevant evidence when offered by the defense, while including irrelevant evidence offered by the prosecution.

But when the defense’s only substantive witness, the experienced attorney Robert Costello, raised his eyebrows at one of New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan’s rulings, the court went berserk.

Losing his cool and showing his thin skin, the judge cleared the courtroom of everyone including the media.

For some reason, I was allowed to stay, and I observed one of the most remarkable wrong-headed biases I have ever seen. The judge actually threatened to strike all of Costello’s testimony if he raised his eyebrows again.

That of course would have been unconstitutional because it would have denied the defendant his Sixth Amendment right to confront witnesses and to raise a defense.

It would have punished the defendant for something a witness was accused of doing.

Even if what Costello did was wrong, and it was not, it would be utterly improper and unlawful to strike his testimony — testimony that undercut and contradicted the government’s star witness.

Michael Cohen’s ex-attorney contradicts Trump ‘fixer’s testimony, gets ripped by judge in fiery scene at hush money trial
The judge’s threat was absolutely outrageous, unethical, unlawful and petty.

Moreover, his affect while issuing that unconstitutional threat revealed his utter contempt for the defense and anyone who testified for the defendant.

The public should have been able to see the judge in action, but because the case is not being televised, the public has to rely on the biased reporting of partisan journalists.

But the public was even denied the opportunity to hear from journalists who saw the judge in action because he cleared the courtroom.

I am one of the few witnesses to his improper conduct who remained behind to observe his deep failings.

Even when journalists do report on courtroom proceedings, their accounts must be taken with a grain of salt. When you watch CNN or MSNBC, you generally see an account of a trial that never took place.

They spin the events so much that reality is totally distorted.

I experienced that distortion firsthand yesterday, when I saw one of my former students and research assistants, a CNN legal analyst named Norman Eisen, during a break and went over to him and asked him about his family. We chatted for a few minutes in the most friendly way.

But NBC, the Daily Beast and other media decided to make up a story about the event. They claimed that I had a spat with my nemesis, rather than a friendly conversation with a former student. Their account was made up, yet it was circulated through the media.

To his credit, Eisen wrote to the media to correct the account, saying that the person sitting next to him would confirm the media’s false reporting. I doubt we will see a retraction.

This minor incident is simply the tip of a very large and deep iceberg of false reporting about the trial that can only occur because the proceedings are not being televised.

There are television cameras in the courtroom, and they record and transmit every word, but not to the public; only select reporters in the overflow room see what the cameras transmit.

There is absolutely no good reason why a trial of this importance, or any trial, should not be televised live and in real time. Allowing the public to see their courts in action is the best guarantee of fairness. As Justice Louis Brandeis wisely said a century ago, “Sunlight is the best disinfectant.”

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, we used to listen to the colorful account of Dodger games rendered by Red Barber on the radio.

Occasionally when I went to a game and brought my portable radio, I could hear how the “old redhead,” as we called him, colorfully elaborated and exaggerated what was occurring on the field.

Once television came along and everyone could watch the games live, the accounts became far more accurate, because we could see everything for ourselves.

A similar phenomenon would operate if trials were televised; it would force commentators to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

Today there is no check on partisan reporting of trials and exaggerations and personal opinions are rampant.

The American public is the loser.

Link

Posts: 34276 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thank you for that post, PASig.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9290 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Incredible.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1792938444273963335

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well that's cute. Was the FBI expecting to get into a gun battle (a FIRE FIGHT!) with the Secret Service? Just what type of resistance did they think they might encounter?

https://x.com/gatewaypundit/st.../1793003717542764831

https://x.com/julie_kelly2/status/1792969008657948733

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Biden's Praetorian Guard and NKVD stooping to new lows. Nothing shocks me any longer with this illegitimate regime occupying the WH. Mad

Posts: 34276 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well that's cute. Was the FBI expecting to get into a gun battle (a FIRE FIGHT!) with the Secret Service? Just what type of resistance did they think they might encounter?

For reasons I can not delve into here, this does not surprise me at all.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The jury instructions will be very interesting. Knowingly how this Judge has acted and ruled so far, this will be the first time a jury will be told via the instructions that the Defendant NOT testifying CAN and SHOULD be held against him, making his entire defense not credible. Roll Eyes

As far as the FBI getting in a gunfight with the Secret Service, the FBI would have to use massive overwhelming force, including an attack helicopter and explosives, to have a chance. Those Secret Service Agents can shoot (as long as they are not the DEI hires guarding Kackles Harris).

Posts: 4024 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope that someone is keeping a list of names.

Posts: 53581 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's no there there:

Posts: 108621 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
As far as the FBI getting in a gunfight with the Secret Service, the FBI would have to use massive overwhelming force, including an attack helicopter and explosives, to have a chance. Those Secret Service Agents can shoot...

I been fortunate enough to meet Donald Trump (twice at the same event), and have conversation(s) w/ him when he filed w/ the Secretary of State for the NH Primary last fall. He has multiple Secret Service Agents like this guy around him...I'm not sure where thy conceal their weapons, but they are SERIOUSLY 'Armed'! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9259 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post