SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I haven’t found anything stating the ages of the 80 people that have died. Anyone have any info?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Alright boys and girls. 'Tis time for another episode of "Irony Kills".

Face masks have become as scarce as hens teeth, but there are enormous profits to be earned if you can manage to get more masks to market before the panic ends or everyone dies. However, face masks like everything else, are made in China or made of material from China. And as noted earlier in the thread, the Coronavirus can survive 28 days on surfaces. Thus it is not inconceivable that new production masks may become contaminated with the Wuhan Virus and remain infectious to the end users.

If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If you’d look farther than amazon, you’d find that Home Depot has plenty of N95 masks Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I haven’t found anything stating the ages of the 80 people that have died. Anyone have any info?

quote:
Wuhan virus killing mostly the elderly, those with previous health problems
* Almost half the fatalities were 80 years or older, all of them from Hubei province
* Chinese authorities say children have been infected but are not highly susceptible to the virus

Almost half of the 17 people killed by the Wuhan coronavirus so far were aged 80 or over and most of them had pre-existing health problems, according to China’s health authorities. Children have been infected, but are not highly susceptible to the virus, they said.
Details of the fatalities released on Thursday showed the youngest person was 48 and the oldest 89.
~South China Morning Post - Published: 8:30pm, 23 Jan, 2020 (4 days ago)
https://www.scmp.com/news/chin...hose-previous-health

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
If you’d look farther than amazon, you’d find that Home Depot has plenty of N95 masks Smile

Not as far as I can see. Everything is marked "Out of Stock" or "Unavailable".

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Go to the store. I saw that online as well.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Ok, it’s starting to get a little more unnerving- 56 KNOWN deaths and cases popping up more and more.

Out of a billion Chinese, and 7 billion worldwide? You'll forgive me if I don't panic.

We do love our pandemic stories, don't we?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Wuhan virus killing mostly the elderly, those with previous health problems
* Almost half the fatalities were 80 years or older, all of them from Hubei province
* Chinese authorities say children have been infected but are not highly susceptible to the virus

Almost half of the 17 people killed by the Wuhan coronavirus so far were aged 80 or over and most of them had pre-existing health problems, according to China’s health authorities. Children have been infected, but are not highly susceptible to the virus, they said.
Details of the fatalities released on Thursday showed the youngest person was 48 and the oldest 89.
~South China Morning Post - Published: 8:30pm, 23 Jan, 2020 (4 days ago)
https://www.scmp.com/news/chin...hose-previous-health

Thank you for that. Just as I thought, the elderly are at a higher risk of death along with those already in poor health, just as with the flu. Now watch the rest of the world panic. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Out of a billion Chinese, and 7 billion worldwide? You'll forgive me if I don't panic.

We do love our pandemic stories, don't we?

From little oaks do mighty acorns grow.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Is this better or worse that the swine flu or bird flu we panicked about a few years back?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Is this better or worse that the swine flu or bird flu we panicked about a few years back?

This is NewFlu (or WuFlu) so it's scarierest. Newerest is always scarierest.

Seriously though, it does sound to me like the mortality rate may be higher than with most flu varients.

Note to the humorless: Yes, I know it's not the flu.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

...and people laughed at me...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43864 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

...and people laughed at me...

How can you tell if they're laughing with you or at you?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43864 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Geez, Monkey... I recall when your prep stash consisted of just a banana, along with 1x JHP round and 2x FMJs (for practice).

Clearly you've succumbed to the mass media hysteria.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You understand metaphors correct? Something that literally stated one thing but means another. I literally am saying that contrary to all the high tech medical/statistics speak I believe this will yet again turn out to be the next pandemic/y2k/bubble/recession that was predicted and yet..... nothing really happens on the scale so hysterically predicted. So yes maybe I’m a Luddite. In a nutshell, I think my English profs would be comfortable with my use of terms.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Geez, Monkey... I recall when your prep stash consisted of just a banana, along with 1x JHP round and 2x FMJs (for practice).

Clearly you've succumbed to the mass media hysteria.

That was then.

This is, now.

Extreme measures-n-shit...

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Yeah cuz Bola that why

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Interactive Map from Johns Hopkins

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
What are the types/specs of effective masks? I know we're not talking about simple paper dust masks. What about the thicker, heavier respirator types found in hardware stores?

A well-fitted full mask type, rated N95 or better (R95, P95) has an 80% efficacy rate at preventing airborne contraction of viruses. This is because a perfect seal is necessary for the mask to work. Surgeons use masks that are custom-fit to their faces.

The cheap ones from the drugstore are almost completely useless. This is because they allow airflow around the mask. Rarely would one fit perfectly to your face.

Compounding this is the fact that only about 50% of people use masks correctly. That means not removing them in use, not touching your face under the mask, removing correctly, and changing them at the correct intervals (the different ratings have their own service lives).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post