SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Did someone order fillet of sole?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16525 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Big Grin

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47505 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Last night after 10PM I got an automated call from the Avon, IN community school system. One child from a primary school about 2 miles from my house is infected. They shut down the entire district (10 schools or so) today and told the kids to do e-learning.

This afternoon another call, a second child showing symptoms, not sure which school. Entire system is shut down until March 20, after which is the scheduled two week spring break. So it's a month at home for all kids in this town.

My ex-wife works at IU Bloomington, which is terrified of students now on spring break coming back with the virus, so they told her to work from home for the next two weeks.

Overreaction? Yes, I think they should have closed the first school, tested all the children in the infected child's classroom, then expanded to the rest of the school as needed. The entire system is a bit much, as is the two week shutdown.

But we don't know how many siblings the first child has, what schools they go to, or much of anything about the second child. Perhaps there is a good reason, as they try to backtrack the steps of these two and see how many others may be exposed.

My company has already banned all commercial air travel except business critical to be approved by a business unit president. Company planes are still flying, but that probably won't last very long.

Didn't except it to get this close to home this fast.

I am thinking the virus arrived stateside in late December or early January, with Christmas and Chinese New Year holiday travel by expats coming home from China and Chinese based in US going home to China and returning here. It's probably in a lot of places and we just haven't tested people to find it because many cases present like familiar viruses, and go away without major issue. It takes someone saying "I think I have Corona Virus" or a bad pneumonia to raise enough suspicion, then the testing beings, then we find what was already there, and act like it's spreading faster than it is, or did.

Stop overreacting. It's only 30x deadlier than the flu and really mostly effects the old. Your kids are fine, your bank account is fine, your baby sitter situation is fine. After all more people die from the flu, so you just need to man up.

I get five days or 40 hours of sick time, vacation, or meeting up with the HVAC guy time a year. I have 1.4 days of time off acured so far this year. It's no problem for me to take two weeks off unpaid if need be. I don't care about draining my savings. I don't care about what happens to the economy when working class folks like myself stop spending money, it won't affect the stock market.

It's only a 3/100 chance you never see you family again, 1/200 if you are the right age range and in good health.

Once again I don't care about my savings, I'm ready to drain it all down. I don't care about my retirement accounts either, what's 20% loss between friends right?

I'm glad many of our members have oodles of sick time and PTO. I can't afford to run in the red for more than a month or two.

Grow a pair guys. It's only your vacation, savings, or goals at risk. Nothing here should be worrisome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Dell employee tests positive.

A Dell employee tested positive 5 days after returning to India. So they've told us to work from home until 3/24 "if your job allows".

Posts: 3030 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Hahaha! I thought that fish tasted like shoe leather. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3993 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
More expensive than ammo:

Hand Sanitizer Is Flying Off The Shelves For $79 And $109 A Bottle At One NYC Hardware Store

https://www.zerohedge.com/heal...e-nyc-hardware-store

I wasn’t looking for hand sanitizer but I’m pretty sure there was a pallet of it at Costco in Plano today. I see a money making opportunity here. Maybe better than selling drugs, and legal too.

Posts: 3963 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
...Atlanta Fulton County Georgia school employee...

I am not attempting to spin panic, I am simply sharing some truth based upon reported findings.

The problem with saying "Atlanta school employee," is that employee could live in a very large geographic area if said person commutes. This still holds true, however based upon it only being Fulton County at this time, chances are the employee is a resident of that county.

While you’re correct that it is the Fulton County School System, you didn’t quote/strike it correctly. While it is the Fulton County school system, I specifically said “Atlanta-area”, not Atlanta, to identify the location since 3/4 or more of those on the board not from Georgia would be more likely to know and recognize Atlanta than Fulton County.

That said, I suspect there will be more cases and in their abundance of caution, we’re going to be in for a ride.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2138 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.redstate.com/brand...classic-james-woods/

Leah McElrath, a democratic activist riding comfortably on the “Trump can only do wrong” bandwagon, decided to take a moment to comment on his reaction to the Coronavirus by fantasizing how Clinton would have handled it, which according to McElrath, would have been a much faster affair.

“Can you imagine how quick and organized the response to the coronavirus would have been if Hillary Clinton had been in the White House?” asked McElrath.

James Woods responded:

You mean like her snappy response to our Americans being slaughtered in #Benghazi, which she slept through? In a drunken stupor. As usual. As quick and organized as that?

Posts: 19702 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting time to be watching the Amazon prime show Counterparts. Hits kind of close to home.

Posts: 3030 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

As a diabetic, I am not a fan of these numbers.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17508 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
ITYM full Executive Decisions, if you meant the Tom Clancy novel where President Jack Ryan shut the entire country down for non-essential travel.

Right, I even did a quick check, but still managed to mix up Clancys.

The South Koreans continue to do much better at 54 deaths : 7,513 confirmed cases = 0.7 percent CFR.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
...Atlanta area Fulton County Georgia school employee...

I am not attempting to spin panic, I am simply sharing some truth based upon reported findings.

The problem with saying "Atlanta school employee," is that employee could live in a very large geographic area if said person commutes. This still holds true, however based upon it only being Fulton County at this time, chances are the employee is a resident of that county.

While you’re correct that it is the Fulton County School System, you didn’t quote/strike it correctly. While it is the Fulton County school system, I specifically said “Atlanta-area”, not Atlanta, to identify the location since 3/4 or more of those on the board not from Georgia would be more likely to know and recognize Atlanta than Fulton County.

That said, I suspect there will be more cases and in their abundance of caution, we’re going to be in for a ride.

Good point. I added "area" to my original post and your quote of it. Smile

I don't think many not from the area understand what the label of "Atlanta" might include. At this point it's a pretty general area to the "locals."

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I’m in the “Atlanta Metro” area. Read last night and confirmed on local news this morning, a daycare 2 miles from my house but not my county has a positive patient. Nice. It’s location is right next to local businesses we often visit and most in our neighborhood also. We’ll see how this goes. A case in “Atlanta” can mean somewhere in like a 15 county metro area. Im over 30 miles from downtown.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1301 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
If you haven't been by Drudge in the last couple days, don't go. A totally manic, visual representation of hair being on fire. Eek

Yeah, what is Matt up to? A really different place this last year or so.

Posts: 11410 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

As a diabetic, I am not a fan of these numbers.

As a person with cardiovascular disease I don’t care for those numbers either.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
AS a person with cardio/diabetes/hypertension and in the 47 year old age bracket nursing a sniffle right now, I really wish I didn't see that chart.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4796 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm highly suspicious of China's attempts at "all is well!", they are known serial liars:

Roll Eyes

"Mission Accomplished"?: President Xi Declares Victory Over Coronavirus In Visit To Wuhan

Posts: 34160 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue, I believe Matt sold Drudgereport and is no longer affiliated with the site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21181 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm highly suspicious of China's attempts at "all is well!", they are known serial liars:

Roll Eyes
"Mission Accomplished"?: President Xi Declares Victory Over Coronavirus In Visit To Wuhan

Same with me. I’m guessing China pretty much just monitors their people in their “hospital” with coronavirus and if they die, they die.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3993 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm finding I'm having to unfollow and snooze people on social media because everyone has suddenly become a friggen' infectious disease expert/immunologist/virologist in the past week or so. Ugh. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

They previously were Constitutional scholars and experts on impeachment, many of them Kremlinologists to boot but now that's all passe.

Posts: 34160 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post