SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm not a doctor or scientist, but from everything I've read about people getting different results on several consecutive days, I don't feel the tests are reliable at all.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I'm not a doctor or scientist, but from everything I've read about people getting different results on several consecutive days, I don't feel the tests are reliable at all.

Ah come on man. 50% false positive isn’t that high. Neither is 50% false negative. Why do you have to be so picky? Next you’ll want to talk about contaminated test kits from China that already have the virus in them. Gee whiz man, why are you throwing shade on the narrative?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
do we have any idea if someone has had teh virus, tetsed postive and then test neg can they still pass it on to another person???

We can not say for certain for any individual but basic virology suggests to me that if you test negative (assuming it is a not a "false negative" test), you will not be carrying much in the way of infectious viral particles with which to infect someone with.

Hope that helps.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
False positives are rare. It would almost have to botched, like cross-contaminated samples or even mixed up patient samples. They do happen, however.

False negatives are much more common. It could be several of you are infected, but the virus hasn't replicated enough to be detected.

If you really wanted to be sure, you might wait a week and all get the swab test again, or wait a couple weeks and do the anti-body test (blood sample).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
How old is grandson? It could be that his strong immune system knocked down the virus before it had a chance to become contagious.

He is 18 and very healthy.
The day he got sick his dr.
called in a prescription for
a "Z pack" antibiotic.
Good idea to get rechecked.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If you really wanted to be sure, you could order an antibody test for just the grandson. Then you'd know for sure if he really had it. If your health insurance covers the cost, great, otherwise the test runs about $100 or so.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The more folks are locked down, the worse it will get, there is a big divide between those who have bought the "TEOTWAWKI" version of COVID and those tired of having their rights trampled by government officials.

Beating the guy for his "Ken" moment wasn't the right thing to do, but it reads like there was more going on than the article shows.

Man attacked for being a Maskhole

Ocean Shores man attacked after confronting men for not wearing masks

An Ocean Shores man said he was attacked for confronting two men for not wearing masks, and now he’s worried police are not properly investigating the case.

Daniel Troublefield, 43, said he was at the Ocean Shores IGA Sunday night when he called someone out for not wearing a mask. Inside the store, he said the conversation turned heated, But he thought that was the end of it. However, he was not expecting what happened once he walked outside.

“I curled up in the fetal position and I was just ready to die,” said Troublefield.

He shared this surveillance video with KIRO 7 News, which he got from the neighboring drug store. The video shows him in the parking lot walking out to his white car, but he walks past it as he was taunted by the maskless men.

“They kept berating me with expletives, calling me a snowflake and it’s not science, it’s a hoax,” Troublefield recalled.

Looking back, Daniel said he wishes he ignored them.

“To my regret I walked up to the car. I was trying to explain it is science and you should be wearing a mask because you’re endangering me and everyone else in the store by not having a mask on,” Troublefield said.

That’s when things escalated even further.

“The gentleman tapped on my chest. And I flipped up his hat, and that’s when they both got out of the car,” Troublefield explained.

The video’s quality isn’t great, but you can see someone is thrown to the ground.

“One grabbed me by the neck in a chokehold and got me down to the ground. And before I knew it, I was getting my face pummeled with fists,” Troublefield explained.

The beating lasted about 20 seconds. The men took off and now he’s worried they’re going to get away and he won’t get justice.

“I don’t feel the police are doing enough,” Troublefield said. “I’m in the dark right now about everything.”

Ocean Shores Police said the investigation is ongoing and they don’t know whether it was an assault or self-defense.

Troublefield, a disabled Marine veteran, said he never threw one punch and even passed out. His nose is now fractured, he’s had to get stitches, and he’s got bruises on his face and body.

“I’d like to see the two gentleman locked up in jail. I’d like for them to pay for what they did,” Troublefield said. “I don’t think any human being deserves to be treated like I was treated.”

Troublefield said this was the first time he’s ever confronted anyone for not wearing a mask. He said he was compelled to because both he and his wife have preexisting conditions. He said he’s frustrated that people aren’t taking the pandemic seriously and putting everyone else at risk. But he also said this will be the last time he’ll ever say anything again.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
False positives are rare.

Based on what? Link Please.

Elon Musk was Positive and Negative?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

“I’d like to see the two gentleman locked up in jail. I’d like for them to pay for what they did,” Troublefield said. “I don’t think any human being deserves to be treated like I was treated.”

Then next time try minding your own damn business.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Then next time try minding your own damn business.

There was a great post somewhere about what you should do if you saw folks gathering for Thanksgiving. Go to the refrigerator and get yourself a glass of milk. Milk? Yes. Milk is good for your teeth, just like minding your own damned business.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
False positives are rare.

Based on what? Link Please.

The swab test looks for genetic material from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which of course is highly specific. The chance of any other material matching its genetic code by chance would be astronomical. So false positives are indeed rare, though they will occur.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Musk's situation, but with so many tests being done there will be some false positives, again at a very low rate.

How accurate are the laboratory tests used to diagnose COVID-19?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But he also said this will be the last time he’ll ever say anything again.
See, an ass whipping is very valuable to personal growth. 'Your' mouth was far more dangerous to your health than some random guy not wearing a mask.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that whether masks work or not they are an easy enough placebo and if it makes other folks feel better so be it. That said why the hell would you get into somebody’s business over it??? That is just plain stupid on so many fronts, not the least of which being if you are so scared of the maskless why would you put yourself in a situation to get closer to them. That’s just stupid. Just give them a wide birth and go about your business.

Man we really can’t live and let live about anything anymore can we.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a Karen got put in his place by people fed up with the bullshit

I don't see anything wrong with that

12 months ago you could walk into a grocery store with 400 people and you had not one fucking clue as to the 'health status' of anyone - no idea if they had pneumonia, the flu, SARS, Ebola....and life worked out just fine

now all of a sudden, everyone is a leper and the karens have come out of the woodwork

the karens should crawl back under their rocks or go hide in their basements and leave the rest of us alone

the maskhole got exactly what he deserved

that should be SOP going forward

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mind your own damn business and you won't have to worry about it.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just looked this up. Musk was referring to the rapid-response test, which is a saliva test. This is known to be significantly less reliable, or at least the early ones were. Some are saying the newer ones are more reliable?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking back, Daniel said he wishes he ignored them.

“To my regret I walked up to the car. I was trying to explain it is science and you should be wearing a mask because you’re endangering me and everyone else in the store by not having a mask on,” Troublefield said.

That’s when things escalated even further.

“The gentleman tapped on my chest. And I flipped up his hat, and that’s when they both got out of the car,” Troublefield explained.

I am guessing this is the first serious physical altercation the man has had. Most folks know that if 2 guys are poking your chest, it's time to make a decision. Responding by touching another man's hat without permission bought his ticket to the event.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just looked this up. Musk was referring to the rapid-response test, which is a saliva test. This is known to be significantly less reliable, or at least the early ones were. Some are saying the newer ones are more reliable?

My wife got tested this past Sunday. She was given a choice of one test that took 2-4 days to get results (she got them in 3), or a 'quick test' that gave results in a day or so. They then said the quick test wasn't as reliable.

If this is a life-changing event, I'm sure as HECK not knowingly getting an inaccurate test. A fake positive could be just as disruptive to my life as a false negative. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Troublefield, a disabled Marine veteran, said he never threw one punch and even passed out. His nose is now fractured, he’s had to get stitches, and he’s got bruises on his face and body.

I wonder if this guy is a 'real' Marine, and not some faux 'war hero' like that indian idiot who confronted the kid wearing the MAGA hat in Washington, DC (that 'marine' was kicked out of the Corps for desertion).

I also wonder if he is REALLY a 'disabled vet.' I qualify for that label, and the worst I have is sleep apnea (note, I never call myself 'disabled').

It sounds like he was just some karen snowflake that didn't know when to back off. I'm REALLY getting tired of the militant 'mask police.'

quote:

At least he learned something out of all this.

I cannot figure out the 'logic' of the 'science people' who physically confront non-mask wearers, since doing so puts them in DIRECT PROXIMITY to somebody not wearing a mask. For people who believe in 'science,' they certainly aren't very smart about it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I hope Wolf dies a horrible, horrible death. Soon.

Asshole has COVID apparently, and I hope he dies of it.

I mean that with every fiber of my being and I will not apologize for the sentiment.

I understand the feelings. I feel the same way about our prick of a governor. I keep hoping that he will catch it.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post