SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12699 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

quote:
My name is John Campbell and I am a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. I also do some teaching in Asia and Africa when time permits.

So his expertise, speculation and analysis is about as valuable as my yard guy. Got it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Global supplier India curbs drug exports as coronavirus fears grow

https://www.reuters.com/articl...s-grow-idUSKBN20Q0ZZ

India, the world’s main supplier of generic drugs, has restricted the export of 26 pharmaceutical ingredients and the medicines made from them, including Paracetamol, a common pain reliever also sold as acetaminophen, as the coronavirus outbreak plays havoc with supply chains.

The Indian government urged calm and said there were enough stocks to manufacture formulations for two-to-three months.

The government’s list of 26 active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and medicines accounts for 10% of all Indian pharmaceutical exports and includes several antibiotics, such as tinidazole and erythromycin, the hormone progesterone and Vitamin B12.

It was unclear how the restriction would impact the availability of these medicines in the countries that import from India and also depend on China. In the United States, for instance, Indian imports accounted for 24 percent of medicines and 31 percent of medicine ingredients in 2018, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn told U.S. senators on Tuesday that the agency is working to determine how the restrictions will affect the U.S. medical supply and the effect on essential medicines.

The FDA last week announced the first coronavirus-related drug shortage in the United States but declined to name the drug in question. Hahn said on Tuesday that drug was in shortage because of a lack of materials needed to make the API.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At least the panic infection has t set in in my neck of the woods; or at least not completely. Went to Sam’s Club for toilet paper, paper towels, a couple of cases of water and a bag of rice as cheap insurance. Plenty of water if all stripes, in all the usual sizes and configurations. Probably a literal ton of bag rice, and all the paper products you could want.

Oddly, most of the brand name toilet paper and paper towels are gone; there are pallets stacked 8’ high of Members Mark (Sam’s generic house brand). I guess you could say that either the distinguished buyers have done a little panic buying or Sam’s is replenishing their stock fast enough to keep up with demand. Nevertheless, I did secure some Quilted Northern for the less hardy in the house. No Bounty, so we’ll be slumming with the paper towels Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

quote:
My name is John Campbell and I am a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. I also do some teaching in Asia and Africa when time permits.

So his expertise, speculation and analysis is about as valuable as my yard guy. Got it.

So just listen your yard guy.Who cares what you think.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, I like my yard guy. He's pretty nice, and has a business where he can take every winter off. Smarter than your average bear.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Italy has closed all of it's schools, in response to controlling the spread of COVID-19.

Bewildering thought if that should ever happen in CONUS. The flow down effect.

Just a thought mind you. Cannot see that coming to pass. Well maybe, WA state.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr. John Campbell

Thanks for posting- I've been following him for several weeks and appreciate his knowledge and point of view. Plus I love the 1970's High Tech approach.

This is shaping up to be a real "100 Year Event". Not the ones the media yaks about every year but a real one.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If this thing kills me I am going to be rather annoyed. Surprised yes, but mostly annoyed.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
If this thing kills me I am going to be rather annoyed. Surprised yes, but mostly annoyed.

snortle.

And your headstone will read:

"I told you I was sick"
[spike milligan]

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

This is shaping up to be a real "100 Year Event". Not the ones the media yaks about every year but a real one.

Oh come on. Really? Maybe it's because I'm sitting on a ship currently isolated from the rest of the world, but I just don't have any concern for this thing whatsoever. I'm willing to admit that I could be dead wrong about this (pun actually not intended), but nothing I've seen so far makes me believe that I am.

And in fact, watching that video only confirmed that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Oh come on. Really? Maybe it's because I'm sitting on a ship currently isolated from the rest of the world, but I just don't have any concern for this thing whatsoever. I'm willing to admit that I could be dead wrong about this (pun actually not intended), but nothing I've seen so far makes me believe that I am.

Out to sea is one of my favorite places, but it also tends to make you a little out of touch with what's going on in the world. Italy has closed down all of it's schools.

It went from 85,000 confirmed cases this morning to 94,000 today. US went from 116 cases to 138 just today. Take a look at this world map of where it is, where the cases are, how many confirmed dead, confirmed recovered etc.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/op...40299423467b48e9ecf6

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

quote:

So just listen your yard guy.Who cares what you think.
It was actually a good video wcb. People dont like to be reminded of simple, basic precautions they should practice to avoid getting or giving sickness. I know one person who thinks the sharing of sickness is just so cool. Others I see just dont care. The one has 4 school aged children and has probably battled every kind of sickness they can bring home from school. She actually doesn't give a shit if she makes others sick. Ive seen her filthy habits with snotty nose and constant hands to the face, all while handling peoples foods. Nasty bitch. I see people useing rest rooms who would die if they got there hands wet, God forbid should they use Free Soap. Those of us who do cleanse ourselves after useing a facility have to handle the door handles after others shit, wipe and fondle their junk. People actually enjoy the prospects of , if I get sick, others are going with me. So yes, a little basic knowledge and precaution is definately in order. Thanks for posting the vid.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Same. I have never in my life seen such utter nonsense as this. I am awestruck by the willful buy-in to this doomsday case of the cold.

Cliff notes -- It will spread everywhere. It's probably already spread way more than we know. It will kill some. Just like... well.... other diseases. Many many people that have had it already are better. Many many many without ever having sought treatment.

Look to the media people. Why is this being hyped so much? I honestly don't have a strong theory other than, follow the money.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Why is this being hyped so much?

In the U.S., it is yet another way to attack the President. The idea is totally illogical and baseless, but that doesn’t matter. And another primary reason is because many people like being entertained by things like this and it keeps the BS media’s viewership up. It’s therefore a twofer for them.

That does not, however, explain what’s going on in other countries. Could it possibly be that some sane and sober people believe it truly is something to be concerned about?

To reiterate something I’ve said before, though, the, “Other diseases kill more people than this one,” is the lamest, most irrelevant pseudo argument imaginable. If we heard that a maniac was driving the wrong way on the highway we were on, would we say, “Well, I could be killed by countless other things, so why worry about this one?” Ridiculous.
If this disease is something to be concerned about, it’s something to be concerned about by itself, not in relation to other diseases.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

No one wants to die; no one wants wants to be short on supplies; and no one wants to lose money from missing work.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

It went from 85,000 confirmed cases this morning to 94,000 today. US went from 116 cases to 138 just today.

So what? Jesus. I'm sure the numbers are actually ten times that. The cases are jumping because people are actually being tested for it now. How many people already had it, recovered, and now are going about their business? Honestly, how many people actually go to the doctor for a mild fever and a head cold? As much as I travel, I've been sick maybe two or three times a year (albeit fairly mild though last month I was pretty miserable for a couple of days), and I never once went to the doctor.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

In the U.S., it is yet another way to attack the President. The idea is totally illogical and baseless, but that doesn’t matter. And another primary reason is because many people like being entertained by things like this and it keeps the BS media’s viewership up. It’s therefore a twofer for them.

That does not, however, explain what’s going on in other countries. Could it possibly be that some sane and sober people believe it truly is something to be concerned about?

To reiterate something I’ve said before, though, the, “Other diseases kill more people than this one,” is the lamest, most irrelevant pseudo argument imaginable. If we heard that a maniac was driving the wrong way on the highway we were on, would we say, “Well, I could be killed by countless other things, so why worry about this one?” Ridiculous.
If this disease is something to be concerned about, it’s something to be concerned about by itself, not in relation to other diseases.

A more apt analogy would be "A maniac is driving the wrong way on the highway you are on, in a red sports car. Watch out for him. By the way, ten drunks are out driving on the wrong side too, in blue Chevy pickups, and have been for awhile. Watch out for them too."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
This is the worst highway ever.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Corona Bypass.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post