SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm waiting for the antibody test to see if I had it back in December.

I’ve wondered the same thing. All the signs of this plus the eye infection that has been reported in some cases. This all came within a week of seeing my Cardiologist for my regular six month visit, his office at the time was in the professional wing of a hospital in Metro Detroit. And the time frame was the first week of December.

I had the respiratory effects of it into January, whatever it was.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8393 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Can someone knowledgeable look at the charts posted in the link and tell me if this article is accurate. I'm hesitant to believe a lot of things even if it supports my suspicions.

quote:
The Y-axis starts out small, with just 0.5 cases per 100,000 residents. It then increases to 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, and 500. Visually, the spacing between 0.5 and 10 is almost the same as the spacing between 20 and 500. Because the Y-axis numbers do not increase proportionally, the shape of every line is distorted, making it seem as though every state is on a similar path for COVID-19 cases. Just look at Minnesota: our state’s confirmed infection rates look to be about half as bad as New York when it actually has about 1/30th of the reported COVID-19 cases.

This is why Citizens’ Council for Health Freedom (CCHF) created new graphs with a consistent Y-axis scale. Using publicly available information on COVID-19 cases in each of the same states as the misleading MDH graph, our graph shows a very different picture of the current status of COVID-19 cases.

Minnesota's Covid-19 Graph Distorts the Truth

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm waiting for the antibody test to see if I had it back in December.

I’ve wondered the same thing. All the signs of this plus the eye infection that has been reported in some cases. This all came within a week of seeing my Cardiologist for my regular six month visit, his office at the time was in the professional wing of a hospital in Metro Detroit. And the time frame was the first week of December.

I had the respiratory effects of it into January, whatever it was.

Yeah I had fever, chills and cough and a persistent dry cough that lasted 2-3 weeks.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Can someone knowledgeable look at the charts posted in the link and tell me if this article is accurate. I'm hesitant to believe a lot of things even if it supports my suspicions.

All of the graphs show the same information. The difference is the way they are represented logarithmic vs linear, they contain the same information. Give me a second I'll try and find a comparison side by side of a data set.

Look at any day on the charts and you can see same information, pick day 18 for instance and compare.

From https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

These two charts show the exact same thing. What a Log chart will more easily show is exponential growth. So if something is doubling every day a Log chart will be able to show it easier, because with a linear chart you quickly run out of space and need a really big chart. Helpful for seeing the flattening of the curve. These charts show that while the total numbers of infections are growing the daily amount of infections is not growing in leaps and bounds as it would with exponential growth ie 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512. Instead it's pretty steady like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 8, 9, 7, 6, 9, 8.

If we were dealing with exponential growth what you would see on a linear chart would be a high bend upwards towards the end of a chart rather than a straight line.

In the second chart you can see the growth is slowing, if it were exponential growth the chart for the Log values would look like the upper chart rather than appearing to flatten out.

Log charts help to visualize growth as well as fit stuff in a smaller chart.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal.

===================================================

Progressive Genius Dept. (in New York City)

New York City has been hit especially hard by the coronavirus, and the City Council seems determined to hit it even harder. Crain’s New York Business reports that the clever progressives who run the city government are proposing to slam businesses with new burdens even as hundreds of companies struggle to stay alive.

One new proposal would force essential businesses to retain all employees unless they have a “just cause” to survive. Is avoiding bankruptcy “just” enough, or will an employer have to consult Thomas Aquinas for guidance?

Another bill would require businesses with 100 or more employees to pay each hourly worker a premium of between $40 and $75 a shift. Many employers are already paying bonuses, but forcing businesses on the margin to do it is an invitation to fire workers to get under the 100-employee threshold or fire some workers to pay others the bonuses.

A third idea would effectively block evictions through April 2021 by preventing landlords from collecting unpaid rents. Many landlords are already practicing forbearance, and the Cares Act includes a 120-day eviction moratorium for tenants in federally backed housing. But the City Council’s brainstorm would invite tenants to stop paying rent entirely and then bail out of the apartments in a year.

The Covid-19 pandemic is demonstrating, in case readers didn’t already know, that today’s progressives lack even a minimal understanding of how business and an economy work. [Emphasis added.]

LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
COVID-19, the disease causing the coronavirus pandemic, has largely been associated with symptoms such as fatigue, a persistent cough, fevers and, recently, lesions. However, it may also cause strokes in patients under 50.

In an interview with CNN, Mount Sinai Health System neurosurgeon Dr. Thomas Oxley said the virus is causing clots in arteries, resulting in "severe strokes."

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks," Dr. Oxley added. "Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of COVID."

In an interview with CNN, Mount Sinai Health System neurosurgeon Dr. Thomas Oxley said the virus is causing clots in arteries, resulting in "severe strokes."

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks," Dr. Oxley added. "Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of COVID."

https://www.foxnews.com/scienc...nger-patients-report

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the photos of peeps in Hazmat suits, I have to wonder:
Is Corona virus the only thing that escaped the lab. Only 20 percent of those tested are positive for the virus. Not like we are looking for anything else.

Posts: 1474 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Last fall, Harris County (the most populated county of Houston metropolitan area) elected an inexperienced Millennial to be their county judge (in Texas, County Judge is the emergency manager) by about 1/2% over the man who lead us through Hurricane Rita, Hurricane Ike, and Hurricane Harvey. She is a GDC lemming.

Today, she issued a mask in public order for 30 days. Houston's NBC affiliate added a little Sigmonkey inspired levity:
Masks may be the midle ground in this. We can't stay home, but need to prevent a spike. I'm not sure what good homemade masks do though.
Masks may be a middle ground. However, it should be a personal decision, and the point of my posting was this was a tyrannical power grab by a GDC. One county north (i.e. where I live), the County Judge issued the following statement:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23674 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My brother is an RT at a hospital in Arizona who is dealing with the China Virus problem. The other day he shares a day in his life.....

I wake up at the same time. Shower, get dressed, take my Lisinopril and I'm off to work. On the way I stop by Circle K to pick up my "free coffee". The workers are hiding behind clear plastic sheets and wearing gloves "for your protection". People are wearing home made masks that hang off their faces and don't protect them from anything at all, some have brand new N95's. It's mass paranoia.

I get to work, call my kids or parents and talk with them while I wait for my shift in "Camp COVID" to start again. I haven't seen my 6 month old grandson since this started. As I'm walking in through the only open entrance of our 600 bed hospital, I think of the bus driver and fast food workers complaining about not having proper PPE and hear about how they're "heroes" for working their jobs. A co-worker takes my temp, I put on my yellow mask and walk in. My ears already feel tender by the time I make it to the department to clock in. See, we're rotating people thru the COVID floors, that's why I know I'll get it again. I guess it's better than being called off because the other floors are empty. Yes, over all, the hospital is slow. People are scrambling for shifts. But not in Camp COVID.

I step off the elevator holding my paper bag containing my face shield and week old N95. Through the doors ahead lies "Camp COVID" as we call it. A real life movie scene from "Outbreak". Almost every patient is on a ventilator. The stress levels are through the roof, but everyone pretends this is nothing new. This is our new normal. We work tightly together, we talk about our families and how this is the only social gathering any of us have had in weeks. Everybody's tired, every shift. We're hot wearing the gowns, hats, gloves, masks and face shields on every patient. On and off, on and off, on and off. I finally get a chance to start my charting when another ventilator alarm screams from across the floor. I gown up again. There are no visitors, the cafeteria only serves prepackaged, wrapped food with a limited selection. I grab an energy drink or a coffee. I can always eat at home. After another 6 hours of gowning & gloving and chasing alarms just to have them stop when you get to the room, but only after you spent the time to hurriedly put on your gown & glove, mask and shield, shoe cover and hair net. He was just coughing, he needs to be suctioned again anyway. For some reason this near death 46 year old relatively healthy individual is on a light sedation as he struggles to breathe while on a 100% oxygen with a PEEP of 12.

Now that we're manually flipping over weight patients into a prone position I have gained a new respect for the big blue Roto-Prone monster bed. I've mastered the administration of Epoprostenol/Flolan and APRV. My ears hurt, the clip pulls my hair when I use it. I come out of a room and smell somebody's pizza. I need to ask that guy at Circle K where he's getting his new N95's from. Maybe he can hook me up. Now it's time to draw ABG's as nursing starts bathing the patients, shaking them up, making them cough. Blowing up my vents and de-SAT'ing patients. Another round of gowning & gloving and suctioning. I finally get to catch up on my charting. The shift is over. Shuffling to the time clock and exit I read the words of encouragement that are plastered about the hospital and it's only entrance. I don't feel like a hero. I go home.

As I pull into my apartment complex I notice all the spots are full. I guess nobody here has a job anymore. Everyone's locked up in self isolation. In my seclusion I check out the news, watch stupid things on YOUTUBE and consider re-watching yet another binge worthy show or I just go to sleep. Oops, I forgot to eat. I wake up at the same time. Shower, get dressed, take my Lisinopril and I'm off to work. On the way I stop by Circle K to pick up my "free coffee". The workers are hiding behind clear plastic sheets and wearing gloves "for your protection". I am a Respiratory Therapist.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5796 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A true frontline hero. Maybe they'll build him a statue when this all over.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
CT town using drones to detect viral people

Video at Link

Connecticut Town Testing 'Pandemic Drone' That Can Sense If You Cough, social distancing properly.....
By Bill Galluccio
Apr 23, 2020

The town of Westport, Connecticut, is testing out a new drone that is capable of gathering biometric readings from people nearly 200 feet away. The 'pandemic drones' will be used by the police to monitor crowds and large gatherings to help prevent COVID-19 from spreading when the state begins to reopen.

"We know that social distancing is working to flatten the curve and ultimately saving lives," Westport First Selectman, Jim Marpe said in a statement. "In an effort to continue safeguarding the citizens of Westport during the COVID-19 outbreak, and as we position ourselves to gradually return to our routines, we should explore ways to prevent a possible resurgence of the virus."

The drones are made by a company called Dragonfly and come equipped with sensors to detect a person's body temperature, heart rate, and respiratory rate. They are also able to identify if somebody coughs or sneezes.

Police said they will not do anything if the drone identifies somebody who has a fever or is coughing. Instead, they will log the information, and after the testing phase is complete, work with experts to determine the best way to use the drone to help slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Posts: 24293 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/euro...sh-medics-isolation/

More than 1,000 Spanish healthcare workers have gone into isolation after wearing faulty medical masks bought from China.

Spain had ordered 400,000 masks from the communist nation to protect frontline medical staff. However, due to their poor quality, the medics are in quarantine and will undergo testing for the Chinese-born virus.

The masks were acquired from the Chinese-based firm Garry Galaxy, and are believed to have been in use for ten days before it was discovered on Friday that they were defective. Most of the masks have been recalled, yet as some are still believed to be in circulation, according to El País.

“There are people who worked the whole day using a mask that offers ten minutes of protection,” said the General Council of Nursing Associations.

Spanish healthcare workers have been particularly hard hit by coronavirus. Medical staff represent some 15 per cent of all infections in the country, with the Health Ministry citing the lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) as the main cause for the high infection rate.

At least 31,000 Spanish healthcare workers have contracted coronavirus. But it is feared that the real number of infections is much higher, with a recent survey conducted by a nurses association finding that some 70,000 nurses have become infected.

The government of Spain is also seeking a refund for an order of 640,000 defective coronavirus antigen test kits from the Shenzhen-based Chinese company, Bioeasy.

The tests were ordered as a replacement for an earlier batch of kits that were found to be defective in March. Examination of the 58,000 tests found that they were not sensitive enough to detect the virus. The kits had an accuracy rate of just 30 per cent, compared to the expected 80 per cent.

After discovering that the sample tests from the latest batch were also ineffective, the government has decided to cancel the entire order from the Chinese firm.

The Health Ministry has refused to disclose how much money was sent to Bioeasy, though it said it is currently in the process of securing a refund.

Reports of faulty Chinese medical equipment have been rampant, with the governments of The Netherlands and the Czech Republic revealing that they were forced to scrap hundreds of thousands of Chinese test kits.

Initially, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) denied that it is shipping out faulty equipment and even bragged that its economy was “roaring” as a result of the global demand for medical equipment. China later backtracked the claims, announcing that it would be restricting exports by companies that do not have the proper licences.

and

https://www.breitbart.com/euro...rts-of-faulty-items/

Millions of pieces of medical equipment are being shipped into the United Kingdom from China, despite reports from other European countries that the communist dictatorship has been sending defective equipment.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As much as 20% of NYC may have had Coronavirus already according to recent sample.

Nearly 3 million New Yorkers have had coronavirus, antibody study suggests

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
will undergo testing for the Chinese-born virus.

hehehe

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12692 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can there be so much defective and ineffective equipment and gear coming from China?

It’s almost as if it’s intentional....

Posts: 721 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39263 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
CT town using drones to detect viral people

Video at Link

Connecticut Town Testing 'Pandemic Drone' That Can Sense If You Cough, social distancing properly.....
By Bill Galluccio
Apr 23, 2020

The town of Westport, Connecticut, is testing out a new drone that is capable of gathering biometric readings from people nearly 200 feet away. The 'pandemic drones' will be used by the police to monitor crowds and large gatherings to help prevent COVID-19 from spreading when the state begins to reopen.

"We know that social distancing is working to flatten the curve and ultimately saving lives," Westport First Selectman, Jim Marpe said in a statement. "In an effort to continue safeguarding the citizens of Westport during the COVID-19 outbreak, and as we position ourselves to gradually return to our routines, we should explore ways to prevent a possible resurgence of the virus."

The drones are made by a company called Dragonfly and come equipped with sensors to detect a person's body temperature, heart rate, and respiratory rate. They are also able to identify if somebody coughs or sneezes.

Police said they will not do anything if the drone identifies somebody who has a fever or is coughing. Instead, they will log the information, and after the testing phase is complete, work with experts to determine the best way to use the drone to help slow the spread of the coronavirus.
12 gauge + Turkey load = Good social distancing fun.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wonderful new sport is about to be developed

Posts: 53805 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
How can there be so much defective and ineffective equipment and gear coming from China?

It’s almost as if it’s intentional....

A lack of responsibility/consequences by chinese manufacturers and caring more about profit than the safety of the rest of the world (?).

I've said it before, remember the good ol' days when stuff was made in America, Mexico and Canada. That's what we should be promoting again. Maybe the USMCA will accomplish that.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

12 gauge + Turkey load = Good social distancing fun.

A 12 gauge might give the drone a brief but very high fever or it might cough and sputter before crashing and burning... Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post