SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I am. He was on an epic mushroom-fueled quest for TV for his bungholio.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TP for my bunghole!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Did someone say bog roll?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We are 13 days into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks.

It breaks my heart to see her like this.

I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up.

I have even considered letting her in - but rules are rules.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^haha

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
CBS News Busted Using Overwhelmed Italian Hospital Video During Report About New York City

This by the way is beyond egregious. It'd be shocking if it weren't so common with these fake news hacks.

Didn't CBS just months ago do something similar with the Knob Creek night shoot saying it was Syria?

And no one by the way who saw that aired live saw or will see the correction. Despicable.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thinking of a recent thread about etiquette for visitors in one's home, has there been any advice on shoes? If the virus can be airborne or surface-borne, it surely can be ground-borne. Less likely to get to your face but tying shoes, kids, pets could be possible vectors. Not trying to open another can of worms but I don't recall hearing any shoe advice.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Well, you'd want to stick with flip-flops and other slip-on type shoes because you wouldn't want to touch your shoes or shoelaces and then touch your face.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Thinking of a recent thread about etiquette for visitors in one's home, has there been any advice on shoes?

You shouldn't be having visitors.

But if you can smell their feet, I'd assume there'd be 'rona bugs riding that same vector.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Less likely to get to your face but tying shoes, kids, pets could be possible vectors.

I'm renaming my dog... Corona.
She doesn't practice "social distancing"; she has poor hygiene and licks everything and everyone.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Sunday we went out to get "take out". Driving down the state highway to the first stop sign, there was a couple sitting along side the road. They were holding a sign that said they need shelter. Simple enough, but they also said they got kicked out. Reading between the lines, they'd been kicked out of the shelter they were in. I assume the homeless shelter down in mid-town.

Anyone here know how they get kicked out of that kind of place? Probably fighting. Or drinking too much. They can pull at our heart strings all they want. They didn't seem clean enough to come into my home, but there is a nice woods down along the river. Lots of people discarded clothing and bedding for them to use. Except its all soiled, it would seem like a deserving place for them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well it’s my turn I suppose.
Received a call from my Administration office ordering myself & my partner not to report to duty and that we are on 14 day ordered quarantine due to exposure and symptoms of virus from the officers we relieved who have both tested positive and one has been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.

Awaiting my order to report for testing.
So much for vacation next week...

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking of a recent thread about etiquette for visitors in one's home, has there been any advice on shoes?

Here you go...NSFW or kids(swearing)...

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Sunday we went out to get "take out". Driving down the state highway to the first stop sign, there was a couple sitting along side the road. They were holding a sign that said they need shelter. Simple enough, but they also said they got kicked out. Reading between the lines, they'd been kicked out of the shelter they were in. I assume the homeless shelter down in mid-town.

Anyone here know how they get kicked out of that kind of place? Probably fighting. Or drinking too much. They can pull at our heart strings all they want. They didn't seem clean enough to come into my home, but there is a nice woods down along the river. Lots of people discarded clothing and bedding for them to use. Except its all soiled, it would seem like a deserving place for them.
. Around here alcohol and drug use that is apparent will get one discharged.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Trump is in his element at press conferences. He knows what's going on. He's relaxed. He doesn't take shit. He gives it right back when he gets it.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just try to imagine ol' Dementia Joe "leading" such press conferences. Disaster.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking of a recent thread about etiquette for visitors in one's home, has there been any advice on shoes? If the virus can be airborne or surface-borne, it surely can be ground-borne. Less likely to get to your face but tying shoes, kids, pets could be possible vectors. Not trying to open another can of worms but I don't recall hearing any shoe advice.

You're correct - viral spread can occur from fomites (touching things), but less than droplet spread (as far as we know the virus particles don't survive very well by themselves just riding on the air - aerosol). They need some sort of carrier, such as a droplet of moisture, sneezed or coughed into the air and landing on something. That's why minimizing personal contact is so important at this point. And even though it's been reported the virus can survive days on surfaces, the practical time for these virions to survive on a given surface (in enough numbers to infect someone) is probably a matter of hours, or less. The virions aren't floating around outside on a breeze, for example, waiting to settle on the soles or top of your shoes. A passing crowd of joggers though, coughing in your face, would be a bad thing. Right now, a very bad thing. Wiping off any unknown surface, right now, is not a bad idea. And if you touch something, washing your hands before coming anywhere near your airway is a really good idea too.

And although I learned early in life and practice never try to break up a bar fight, some comments on the data we"re seeing. From what we now know across the planet, from really a lot of population data, is that this is not a world-killing organism. It's a really bad one. Worse than expected from early reports, and the genetics of this specific organism. And I confess worse than I expected. But humanity will survive. That's a significant prediction, because it as easily might not have. Really. We won the lottery. I could be wrong, but I'm giving you my honest assessment.

All that said, the numbers behind the data you see on the news indicates that collectively about 2% of identified cases may ultimately die in the US. That's separate and independent of a calculated case fatality or mortality rate. By that I mean, what you see now is that of almost 190,000 positive cases identified in the US, about 2% have died. That"s a dynamic number of course, because the deaths were from cases identified earlier than the number of cases reported today, but it's a rolling average, and it includes higher averages from cities like NYC and Chicago.

We have ramped up testing substantially, and it can be expected we will see a significant increase in identified infections in the next few days or weeks. We can expect from what we now know, that about 2% of those may die as well (subject to the success, or not, of ongoing mitigation efforts, and developing herd immunity - that number, by hope and by God will eventually be lower). But when we get to 300,000 identified cases, we may, possibly will, from data right now, see 6,000 fatalities. When we get to a millon identified infections, we may see 20,000 deaths. We will then have exceeded deaths from the 2009 H1N1 outbreak in the US. And we may very likely see a million tests by the end of April, or even mid-April, accelerating from there.

We don't currently know how many people have actually been infected by SARS-CoV-2, in the US or anywhere else. We may never know, unless we accomplish universal antibody testing., which is unlikely - hence the inability to calculate an accurate, absolute CFR. What we do know, right now from verified data, is the number of patients who die out of the number of identified cases. Worldwide, that number is almost 5%. In the US, right now, that number is 2%. Those should be sobering enough numbers for any of us.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doc H.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Like this?

Good Lord.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ holy cow....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post