SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
To avoid a bunch of nested replies, I will simply reply in a new post.

I am not concerned at all with "hurt feelings". Just suggesting that when it becomes impossible to argue among friends without personal attacks it may be time to step back. People on both sides of the argument here have reached well beyond reason trying desperately to be "right", not disputing that at all. However, if you read back through it, one side in particular seems to respond frequently with personal attacks and labels of shame. Are you saying that's ok because the other side was really annoying?

I could give two shits about "labels of shame". You seem to be singling ERJ out, and oblivious to the same thing going on in the last page with others.

I don't care what people think. They can chuck their Rights out the door to the nanny state to "save grandpa" if they want. They can lie if they want and post false statistics if they want, and you can aid them in doing it for all I care.

My point is, and remains, if you are so worried about ERJ being an asshole, and this is the standard that we are going to use, it applies to midwest guy, skins, maladat, ensigmatic, and now you.

If you want to be fair, play by your own rules and labels. ERJ did nothing any worse than what they are still currently doing.

Are you going to use the same standards and call the others out for being assholes? Or will they just "self-diagnose" and see that they need to step away?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Maybe Entropy was the wisest pilot here?

What the heck happened to Entropy, haven't see anything from in a long while?
. He lives around my area and it occurred to me I haven’t seen his presence. Maybe Vtail knows?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Maybe Entropy was the wisest pilot here?

Wow.

Ok, you want to know why guys like erj, Jones, PowerSurge, and myself have become just so damned frustrated with everything while you can sit there and pretend to be so calm and sensible? Because you are actually having your way. From where we're sitting, the world is going mad, and there's nothing we can do about it. Sometimes I feel like Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar screaming from behind the bookshelf.

It's like being the passenger in a car where the driver is calmly driving 100 mph towards a cliff. You're screaming for him to stop, and he just turns to look at you placidly and says, "hey, why are you screaming?"

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

I am not concerned at all with "hurt feelings". Just suggesting that when it becomes impossible to argue among friends without personal attacks it may be time to step back. People on both sides of the argument here have reached well beyond reason trying desperately to be "right", not disputing that at all. However, if you read back through it, one side in particular seems to respond frequently with personal attacks and labels of shame. Are you saying that's ok because the other side was really annoying?

I could give two shits about "labels of shame". You seem to be singling ERJ out, and oblivious to the same thing going on in the last page with others.

I don't care what people think. They can chuck their Rights out the door to the nanny state to "save grandpa" if they want. They can lie if they want and post false statistics if they want, and you can aid them in doing it for all I care.

My point is, and remains, if you are so worried about ERJ being an asshole, and this is the standard that we are going to use, it applies to midwest guy, skins, maladat, ensigmatic, and now you.

If you want to be fair, play by your own rules and labels. ERJ did nothing any worse than what they are still currently doing.

Are you going to use the same standards and call the others out for being assholes? Or will they just "self-diagnose" and see that they need to step away?

That's a hell of a jump from "this is more than the flu" to I'm ready to "I'm ready to abdicate my rights."

Who's calling for a nanny state? I missed that part...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shucks I’m just wondering were Entropy went.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't care what people think. They can chuck their Rights out the door to the nanny state to "save grandpa" if they want. They can lie if they want and make arguments if they want, and you can aid them in doing it for all I care.

I can see that you don't give two shits about anything except what is right in your own mind.
You are completely blinded by your own confirmation bias. Anyone who agrees with your view didn't do nuffin and all those god damned hystericals giving away your rights deserve everything they get and more. And to be clear, I said erj was starting to come off as an asshole. As in each subsequent post he became more angry and got more personal in his attack. I am not comparing him to anyone else in this thread or defending anyone either. But you seem set on doing that so go see for yourself. Go back and look at the post from any of those members you have identified from "the other side" and point out where they personally attacked other members.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Entropy was the best pilot here? The snide remarks about the “basket of deplorables? That’s just in the last two pages. Oh and there’s calling someone an asshole. Semantics, I know. Do I need to keep pointing out examples to suit your standards, Jim? Hell, Balzé got treated like a dog 200 pages ago. And he didn’t get all passive aggressive about it.

Nah, I know I don’t. You are on a one way street. You had ample opportunity to say that he wasn’t the only one but your anger or whatever seems to be clouding right and wrong. I actually tried to be reasonable and point out it’s not just him. Reasonable left the station long ago.

I’m done here. I hope ERJ continues to post, and acts like an asshole if so chooses. Goose and gander and whatnot.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For you all 'it's just the flu' people. You are the ones making everyone (not me included) demand draconian measures. Chill the fuck out, stay home unless needed, and practice social distancing. It ain't hard, please take it upon yourself to do what is right before your neighbors demand a hard lockdown and troops in the streets. Voluntarily measures > forced measures, that's the path we are headed down if everyone continues to dismiss the seriousness of this.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/eHTsh9bRWJc

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
meanwhile,

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...sinesses-nationwide/

President Trump’s Department of Homeland Security released updated guidelines naming gun manufacturers and retailers as essential on Saturday, which means they are to stay open and operational nationwide during a Chinese coronavirus shutdown.

The DHS guidelines list as essential:

Workers supporting the manufacturing of safety equipment and uniforms for law enforcement, public safety personnel, and first responders.

Workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

and

President Trump:

On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force, and upon consultation with the Governor’s of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, I have asked the @CDCgov to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors, in consultation with the....

Federal Government. A quarantine will not be necessary. Full details will be released by CDC tonight. Thank you!

8pm

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Since this thread has gotten a bit 'frosty', how about we all chill out a bit and hopefully have a laugh or two with Matt Best and crew. Enjoy....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you want to be fair, play by your own rules and labels.

Excuse me, but where have I, or any of the other deplora... sorry, hystericals, engaged in ad hominem attacks against those who disagreed with our positions? Conversely, those who disagreed with those of us who feel there's good cause for concern have regularly dismissed us as hysterical, sheep, lemmings, delusional, easily misled, etc.

You, in particular, have personally taken shots at me in this thread on several occasions, Jones. Just as you did in the vaping thread a couple months back (until the boss told you to put a sock in it). I've let it go every single time, because I'm more interested in debate and discussion than throwing insults at one another.

I gotta tell you, Jones, I once looked up to you. Because gun forum and what you do. You probably don't care, but not so much, any more. Your behavior towards others in this thread, and the other, has been... a disappointment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Entropy was the best pilot here? The snide remarks about the “basket of deplorables? That’s just in the last two pages. Oh and there’s calling someone an asshole. Semantics, I know. Do I need to keep pointing out examples to suit your standards, Jim? Hell, Balzé got treated like a dog 200 pages ago. And he didn’t get all passive aggressive about it.

Nah, I know I don’t. You are on a one way street. You had ample opportunity to say that he wasn’t the only one but your anger or whatever seems to be clouding right and wrong. I actually tried to be reasonable and point out it’s not just him. Reasonable left the station long ago.

I’m done here. I hope ERJ continues to post, and acts like an asshole if so chooses. Goose and gander and whatnot.

I am not angry. Ironically, I was only attempting to interject a little civility into an increasingly heated discussion. I stated very clearly that both sides have gone well past reason a couple of post ago, was that not enough of an acknowledgement for you? I don't know the history with the Entropy remark so maybe that one went over my head. What I have seen is a lot of labels and personal attacks from a few members in particular. You can continue to pretend to be blind to that, all good. I too hope erj continues to post but there is no reason for anyone to be an asshole here.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
For you all 'it's just the flu' people. You are the ones making everyone (not me included) demand draconian measures. Chill the fuck out, stay home unless needed, and practice social distancing. It ain't hard, please take it upon yourself to do what is right before your neighbors demand a hard lockdown and troops in the streets. Voluntarily measures > forced measures, that's the path we are headed down if everyone continues to dismiss the seriousness of this.

Skins, what are you talking about? Millions and millions of people are suddenly out of work. Practically every restaurant server in the country is out of work including my wife (who isn't eligible for unemployment by the way because she didn't work all of last year; she was pregnant last year). Every kid is out of school, for some for the rest of the school year. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, of businesses are closed. Trillions of dollars have been lost. Airlines have cut routes and canceled probably thousands of flights. The government is handing out cash to people for chrissakes. None of this was voluntary. It was literally forced upon us. We're already down that path.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
jljones, there was no reason to throw gasoline on the fire, especially after the fact.

You say you're done with this thread. That was your choice, but I'm going to hold you to it. Time and again, members have said "I'm done" in some thread or other, only to return, usually sooner than later.

Any of you guys who can't discuss this matter politely should not be participating in this thread.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we make fun of the Indian police for hitting muslims with sticks to get them to leave the mosque and start social distancing?

Or make fun of Cuomo for knee-jerk opposing everything Trump says?

That said I am very concerned. But I am not afraid of COVID19.

I've gotten sick a few times while traveling in Asia.

In 2012 I got some kind of fly in Wuhan and flew back to Beijing the next day with fever, chills, aches. That's when I learned you cannot buy actual cold medicine in China - only "traditional" remedies that don't work.

Later that year I got sick in northern China. The ladies in the hotel lounge gave mt hot Coca-Cold with Ginger, which helped. But my favorite bartender gave me hot tea with ginger, lemon, and Irish whisky. A few of those got me feeling better.

In 2014 I got sick during a three week trip to South Korea. Went home for two weeks, started getting better, then back to Korea and got worse again. Last more than a month in total.

In 2015 I got sick in China, and it got really bad as I continued my trip in Japan. Admittedly I was not socially distant enough from my cute young female friend when she had a cough. I got home, no voice, bad cough, first trip to doctor I was prescribed anti-biotics, couple weeks later back to the doctor and was prescribed Levaquin - which is used to treat pneumonia. Again, sick for a month.

Most recently a really bad head cold after returning from China last October - I had been in Hubei for a week, then a northern city for 2 weeks. Cold came on two weeks after getting home and lasted 2-3 weeks.

So, there's a lot of nasty stuff out there, and it can mess you up for a couple weeks. And most of these experiences are similar to a typical case of COVID19.

What concerns me? Everything else that is happening as a result of the panic.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Can we make fun of the Indian police for hitting muslims with sticks to get them to leave the mosque and start social distancing?

I sure hope so. Saw a video clip of that. It was hilarious!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
jljones, there was no reason to throw gasoline on the fire, especially after the fact.

You say you're done with this thread. That was your choice, but I'm going to hold you to it. Time and again, members have said "I'm done" in some thread or other, only to return, usually sooner than later.

Any of you guys who can't discuss this matter politely should not be participating in this thread.

You’ll have no problems of me.

www.opspectraining.com

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're still posting.

It's kinda like the cops, right? The cops don't need to hear you say that you'll comply. All they want is for you to do it.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Skins, what are you talking about? Millions and millions of people are suddenly out of work. Practically every restaurant server in the country is out of work including my wife (who isn't eligible for unemployment by the way because she didn't work all of last year; she was pregnant last year). Every kid is out of school, for some for the rest of the school year. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, of businesses are closed. Trillions of dollars have been lost. Airlines have cut routes and canceled probably thousands of flights. The government is handing out cash to people for chrissakes. None of this was voluntary. It was literally forced upon us. We're already down that path.

I'm not in disagreement with you on the effects of both businesses (voluntary) and the stupid decisions of the governments. All I am and have been saying is 'its not the flu' and bad shit is coming may that be brought by businesses, individuals, or governments.

I've essentially lost my job, my buddy in same fiend did lose his. I'm looking for a new job because I haven't been laid off, but instead told "I'll try my best to get everyone hours." I'm stuck in the middle, unable to claim unemployment, or forced to work a couple hours or even half time a week. I rather be laid off and collect something until I find something with less exposure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
How to avoid the Coronavirus thing.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post