SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
The thing that gets me, is that even with the online tutorials and lots of practice on them he still had to have loads of adrenalin flowing, yet he had the wherewithal to set the flaps back to neutral and raise the landing gear after takeoff. In my mind, that is almost super human. He must have had a checklist available as well, but without a co-pilot would be very difficult to use properly.

Just mind blowing!

Yet there are people who fly multi-engine retractable gear planes solo every single day.

Well thought out or lucky, but not remotely superhuman.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
The thing that gets me, is that even with the online tutorials and lots of practice on them he still had to have loads of adrenalin flowing, yet he had the wherewithal to set the flaps back to neutral and raise the landing gear after takeoff. In my mind, that is almost super human. He must have had a checklist available as well, but without a co-pilot would be very difficult to use properly.

Just mind blowing!

Yet there are people who fly multi-engine retractable gear planes solo every single day.

Just about anyone can fly one when everything is working, weather is decent. It's when things start to go bad that training, skill, experience and judgment make all the difference.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bazinga!

I wasn't trained how to fly the plane; already knew how to do that when I was hired. What I WAS trained to do was fly the plane the way the company wants me to, learn how to work as a crew, and what to do in emergency procedures (hint: there' a book on the flight deck for that or a publication on my EFB/tablet).

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
What makes you think he set flaps for takeoff?

Gear is one lever. Up. One movement.

Not really superhuman...can be done with two fingers.

Checklists...read, do, and if he had it planned out, a quick pencil hand-scrawled few notes to hit the highlights, and off he goes.

There's a good chance that this wasn't the first time he was in those cockpits; he may have been rehearsing it for some time.

What's the gear-bitch mantra? Gear up, flaps, up, shut up?

Remember that traditionally the regional airlines have put VERY inexperienced pilots in the right seat, and even the most inexperienced first officer is expected to be able to operate the aircraft in the event that the captain is incapacitated. Typically those wet-behind-the-ears first officers also fly every other leg with and without passengers on board.

That from an experienced pilot. According to his friends and family he'd never flown an airplane in his life. I'm just saying that he had to be under a huge amount of stress and the fact that he didn't make a catastrophic mistake early on is exceptional and goes beyond just luck. I'm putting myself in his shoes and I find it amazing that he got as far as he did.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just mind blowing!

True, but with how many hours with a teacher? A lot! How many do you know who did their solo without any instruction. My guess is the answer starts with a z and ends in an o.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just mind blowing!

True, but with how many hours with a teacher? A lot! How many do you know who did their solo without any instruction. My guess is the answer starts with a z and ends in an o.

Jim

No one lawfully.

They may start with z but they end up like this guy, upside down in the weeds on fire.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just mind blowing!

Jim

No one lawfully.

They may start with z but they end up like this guy, upside down in the weeds on fire.

Yep, and that is my point.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many do you know who did their solo without any instruction.
Wilbur and Orville?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
What makes you think he set flaps for takeoff?

Gear is one lever. Up. One movement.

Not really superhuman...can be done with two fingers.

Checklists...read, do, and if he had it planned out, a quick pencil hand-scrawled few notes to hit the highlights, and off he goes.

There's a good chance that this wasn't the first time he was in those cockpits; he may have been rehearsing it for some time.

What's the gear-bitch mantra? Gear up, flaps, up, shut up?

Remember that traditionally the regional airlines have put VERY inexperienced pilots in the right seat, and even the most inexperienced first officer is expected to be able to operate the aircraft in the event that the captain is incapacitated. Typically those wet-behind-the-ears first officers also fly every other leg with and without passengers on board.

That from an experienced pilot. According to his friends and family he'd never flown an airplane in his life. I'm just saying that he had to be under a huge amount of stress and the fact that he didn't make a catastrophic mistake early on is exceptional and goes beyond just luck. I'm putting myself in his shoes and I find it amazing that he got as far as he did.

I’m betting he wasn’t stressed at all. As you know He was apparently suicidal. Anything past the gate was a bonus. His plan was to get as far along as possible and in that regard he succeeded.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Wilbur and Orville?

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wilbur and Orville?

V-Tail for the win!

BTW, just how well did you know Wilbur and Orville?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL

The Ohio National Guard had loaded weapons. That was in 1970.
Case and point

As for the Ohio NG, obviously they did have live ammo in 1970. The Pennsylvania NG did not.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
quote:
Wilbur and Orville?

V-Tail for the win!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
quote:
Wilbur and Orville?

V-Tail for the win!

Big winner for the 5 foot trophy. With due respect. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Killer robots from the future can be programmed to do just about anything. Just sayin' Big Grin

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am not really following the story much. But some of the things he did in flight at the controls, while talking to the radio tower seemed somewhat impressive skill wise for someone who never flew.

So how long was he in the air?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

So how long was he in the air?

Over an hour. I think i even heard as much as 90 minutes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Last radio transmission from Q400: "I can land anywhere once."

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This whole episode confirms that pilots are overpaid.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
This whole episode confirms that pilots are overpaid.

Apparently so.

The tried and trite saying is that you can land anything once, and the record for low altitude flight is tied.

It's said that any landing one can walk away from is a good landing. Any time the aircraft can be used again is a great landing.

Some say of gear-up landings that there are those who have, and those who will.

This individual did all of the above, except walk away and make the airplane re-useable.

It's said that the three most useless things in aviation are runway behind, altitude above, and air in the fuel tank. He had an abundance of each.

The three priorities in aviation are to aviate, communicate, and navigate. He did none of the above.

Moving the controls around indiscriminately is not flying the airplane. He simply avoided ground contact for a while before impact. His "superhuman" effort was largely luck, which eventually ran out.

Talking on the radio while flying is roughly equivalent to walking and chewing gum. Not really a test of the human spirit or psyche.

We frequently allow passengers in light airplanes to handle the flight controls and to believe that they are flying the aircraft, and in a sense, they are. Until one strikes the ground or another aircraft, there's nothing to hit, and so someone with no experience can fairly easily manipulate the controls. Someone who has been doing it on computer games will find it similar. That's not at all the same as flying the airplane, which involves judgement, and the full scale of aviating, navigating, and communicating.

Training is not merely about the way the company wants the airplane operated. A small portion of the training is devoted to that, and no, the airplane will not start or fly itself.

There is an old story about placing objects in the cockpit: a duck, a brick, a set of car keys, a cat, and a dog. The duck is there for bad weather. Water off a ducks back; when things turn south, follow the duck. In the event the duck is lost, and one is disoriented, toss the cat. It always lands on its feet. Provided the cat is declawed and not stuck to the roof of the cockpit, one may anticipate earth in the direction of the cats feet.

In the event the cat is not declawed, use the brick to hit the cat, and toss the keys out the window. Follow them. They will guide you to earth.

The dog is there to bite the pilot if he attempts to touch anything.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post