SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Q400 from Sea-Tac Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
What an idiot.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Remember the stolen Dash 8 from last August? TheFlightChannel just put up a great simulator video dramaticizing the flight.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lQy3e5yUKvo" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That was quite interesting. I wonder if the USAF birds had the authority to force him down if he headed to populated areas while being crazy?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are only three with authorization to direct a shoot down.

The Dash-8 isn't that big, it was nearly out of fuel, and any attempt to shoot it down would produce as much if not more collateral damage.

The flight was largely conducted over populated areas.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT was an example of a person with some problems, who needed counseling. I don't know if he thought he would get it off the ground, and when he became airborne, the sound of his voices changed to excitement. None of that makes it right, but I believe he was cognizant of the implications, and not wanting to hurt others - as evidence of turning toward the mountains.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
All things considered, it was a miracle that he was the only casualty.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I mourn the loss of the airframe...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For people largely untrained to deal with suicidal people, everyone did a great job of trying to talk this dude down.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For people largely untrained to deal with suicidal people, everyone did a great job of trying to talk this dude down.

I was struck by that as well. Neither the AF or ATC guy had any idea this was coming and kept trying to coax him into coming down if possible. Most of us would have been tempted to ask him instead to just crash his stupid ass into the water to avoid hurting anyone else. Or tell him there's a pot of gold under the water, whatever.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. They didn't chastise him or order him around which could only piss him off and destabilize him further.

At a minimum, they kept him aloft as long as possible giving everyone more time, info and options.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He sounded quite calm and thoughtful.

Wild.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think he was suicidal. He had no game plan. He narrowed his options step by step until he ran out.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, indeed.

Had I been one talking to him, I would have found his “apology” very significant as indicating his intention to commit suicide along with his “If I land this” and other statements and actions that didn’t show any intention of following the suggestions to land successfully. I believe both the controller and pilot recognized his possible intent, and were careful to not exacerbate the situation by reacting to his comments about having played video games or asking if he could get a job as a pilot if he landed.

If he had been serious about getting down safely, he had plenty of opportunities to start acting like it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
God rest his soul. The insurers took a hit, first responders made a bundle cleaning up the mess, and I'll remember the audio of the guy who sounds like "Andy" from Parks & Rec for all time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
He sounded quite calm and thoughtful.

I think psychiatrists say that's an indication that the suicidal individual has made a decision...to go through with it. They're actually at peace within themselves that they're no longer in a quandary as to what to do. Really sad...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've seen that calmness first hand with an acquaintance of mine. He went from very troubled to very calm literally overnight. We thought he had turned a corner. Unfortunately, it was the wrong corner. And in his case, he took two people with him.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
I've seen that calmness first hand with an acquaintance of mine. He went from very troubled to very calm literally overnight. We thought he had turned a corner. Unfortunately, it was the wrong corner. And in his case, he took two people with him.

Another thing to be concerned about is an increase in someone’s energy. Someone depressed often doesn’t have the energy to kill themselve. When they brighten up and start doing things they may then have the energy to kill themselves.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post