SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road Rage incident caught on tape - What would you have done?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road Rage incident caught on tape - What would you have done? Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Florida man...

In the rest of the country we call them children.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Florida man...

In the rest of the country we call them children.

70% of Florida’s population is non-native.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
With decent lawyer, I think his charges are lowered or dismissed.
This happened in Florida. With that video and the current laws and attitudes in this state, the biker has nothing to worry about.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Entirely avoidable situation and biker guy is going to want to practice his draw quite a bit if he plans to continue to pursue traffic morons.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t have followed. There are people on the road who will cut you off or other shit, to try and get a rise out of you because they are seeking conflict.

The guy with a knife is an absolute bitch. Pulls a knife, swings it intentionally to cut then when a gun is pointed at him retreats like a little bitch and plays the victim. I fucking hate people like this.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
A few years ago a retired local cop decided he'd been cut off and probably had, but chances are it was accidental.

Anyway, he starts following the vehicle that had cut him off and when it had to stop for a red light, he hopped out of his car, ran up to the vehicle that cut him off with his gun drawn and pointed at the vehicle. This was about a mile and a half from my house.

The driver pulled out his own gun and center punched the retired cop...DRT.

D.A. called it a good shoot, which it was. I would have done the same thing under the same circumstances.

I remember that one. Retired cop had serious anger mgt. issues and several of his neighbors said as much when interviewed by local news later on. IIRC, the good guy shot him several times, hit in the mouth and knee as well as center mass. Just lit the guy up, but was totally justified, boxed in, couldn't leave and was being approached by bad guy with gun in hand.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And another Florida sheriff defends the right person. Guy with knife is the one that called cops saying gun man pulled gun on him. Knife man was the one arrested. Also knife man has a rap sheet of some length so there’s that.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
1: Everything I’ve learned in 25+ years of CCW classes tell me it is game over for self defense when motorcycle guy started following T-Shirt guy. You have just escalated the situation by engaging in something that was done and over.

2: Motorcycle guy better spend some time practicing his draw. I could of tied my shoes in the time it took him to find and pull his pistol.

Dumbasses like this make ‘us’ look bad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'll disagree with your one point. This entire incident didn't occur because Riviera cut off some guy in traffic. People cut people off all the time in traffic, sometimes intentional and sometimes not. It's difficult to know from one's perspective which is definitively the case most times.

No, this entire incident occurred because someone's ego didn't allow him to simply get on with his life, and instead he had to follow the shitty driver escalating the situation. Following people who piss you off in traffic will never lead to anything good. Never. And being armed and purposefully putting yourself in that situation is doubly stupid.

Nailed it.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Let it go, you can’t control what others do to you but you control how you react. He endangered himself and his wife.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Teuller Drill fail.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'll disagree with the "motorcyclist" escalated group think premise, just because they were going the same direction doesn't prove he was following the truck, could have been going that way to begin with.

It's a T intersection, residential, low MPH area, little direct intersection access. So if you're coming to an intersection and get cut off, the guy that cut you off goes the same direction you were going to go, based on group think you should change direction?

This was 100% escalated by the Truck driver, he is the one that stopped in traffic, he forced the motorcycle to stop, he got out in the road, he pulled a knife, he threatened a mans life.

By all rights he should be 6 feet under, by the grace of god and the motorcyclists calm decisions that man is in jail alive.

That doesn't sound like a motorcyclist hell bent on following and causing conflict, sound like someone who had his wits about him and remained in control.

Anyway, when you see a guy with a knife coming at you, remember the 21 foot rule..

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'll disagree with the "motorcyclist" escalated group think premise, just because they were going the same direction doesn't prove he was following the truck, could have been going that way to begin with.

Where did this "they happen to be going in the same direction" stuff come from? In the report in the video from the OP, the reporter explicitly says that the motorcyclist followed him after being cutoff.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I once had a guy follow me. Said I cut him off. In reality, I had to make a left from a four-lane, non-divided road with a 35mph limit. He was doing 70 in the left lane, and had to stop behind me so I could make the left turn.

He followed me into the lot, so I began driving in big circles. Eventually he got frustrated and stopped. I stopped about 50 feet away. He got out of his car but didn't approach. I was unarmed (pre CCW days), and probably would've driven off if he had tried to approach. He yelled that he was from southern California, and down there they'll shoot you for cutting people off. I yelled back that this was Utah, and here we'll shoot you right back. This guy looked like a hoodlum, and he showed a little surprise at the idea that other people might be armed. It visibly showed on his face. He got in his car and drove off.

This was in 1994 and I was only 24 years old, before CCW and a defensive mindset. At least I still had the presence of mind to not allow him to approach, and to not stop. It was kinda entertaining to watch him get frustrated while I was driving in circles. He wasn't going to stop me with his tiny civic while I was in a 1974 F250. My big pickup was the best weapon I had, and I wasn't going to get out of it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

How do you tell the difference between "following" someone and "just happen to be going in the same direction?"

Honest question that comes up because the last 2 Thursdays I've had the exact same car behind me for around 35 miles through a number of turns, takes same offramp, does same series of turns as I do and ends up at the very end going 180 degrees away from me.

That sounds just like following but I'm pretty convinced it's just coincidence.
Where did this "they happen to be going in the same direction" stuff come from? In the report in the video from the OP, the reporter explicitly says that the motorcyclist followed him after being cutoff.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

How do you tell the difference between "following" someone and "just happen to be going in the same direction?"

Honest question that comes up because the last 2 Thursdays I've had the exact same car behind me for around 35 miles through a number of turns, takes same offramp, does same series of turns as I do and ends up at the very end going 180 degrees away from me.

That sounds just like following but I'm pretty convinced it's just coincidence.

Exactly, all the theory that the "following" is some nefarious act on behalf of the motorcycle,
Who knows if in fact they both might have ultimately been going in the same direction.

If one googles the intersection, link it's T in a residential area, low volume traffic, low speeds, no commercial businesses and a few entrances to subdivisions. The road is a semi circle around several subdivisions and the way out to main roads.

Further, law enforcement stated the motorcyclist was the calm one, who de-escalated the situation, that doesn't follow the logic of someone who followed to escalate it.

quote:
“Traffic disagreements should never result in violence in our streets. In this particular incident, the video captured by the victim’s wife clearly shows that her husband’s life was threatened. I applaud the way the motorcyclist handled this situation,” Flagler County Sheriff Rick Staly said in the news release.

After his life was clearly threatened, he lawfully defended himself and then de-escalated the situation . The offender is lucky he was not shot. I also remind the community to not take traffic enforcement in your own hands and control your anger. Call the Sheriff’s Office instead,” Sheriff Staly said.

link

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
This
Yup.
Any attempt to tell the person what they did “wrong” and to pay more attention in the future, however diplomatically one may think they are putting is extremely unlikely to have any positive result. Best to shrug, realize, “Crud, I’m not perfect either, I’ll have to try to do better.”, and carry on with one’s day.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If the end results you want is to stay alive with out personal injuries, avoid endless legal fees and not severely injure another humane being, no matter how big of an ass-hole he is. The answer is suck it up and don't follow. Go home and drink a half bottle of good whisky, talk to your friends about the deal and merely wake up with a hang-over, which will be gone and forgotten by 2pm the next day. And life goes on without added complications.

May take is no follow, no issues. The letter of the law my see it differently.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly, all the theory that the "following" is some nefarious act on behalf of the motorcycle,
Who knows if in fact they both might have ultimately been going in the same direction.

Hmmm, I thought the NY Post article said followed, but on closer reading it didn’t. I dunno where the following even came from. Regardless, following wouldn’t be nefarious, just stupid.

It is frustrating when someone cuts you off when you’re in a car. I’d imagine it would be frustrating and, depending on how close it is, maybe even scary if one were on a bike. Still better not to engage.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It's sounding like a scene from Sons of Anarchy. Only the guy with the knife keeps his teeth.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post