SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road Rage incident caught on tape - What would you have done?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road Rage incident caught on tape - What would you have done? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
First, this is just more of the same in today's society. And remember this entire incident occurred over Riviera cutting a guy off in traffic. That said, I think this Riviera guy is lucky he wasn't rendered room temp. Threatening someone, and then swinging a knife at them like this boob did, could (and likely should), have gotten him shot. He's damn lucky to only be under arrest.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you have done?

Right or wrong with the "cutoff" > I would not have followed him prompting an escalation.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll disagree with your one point. This entire incident didn't occur because Riviera cut off some guy in traffic. People cut people off all the time in traffic, sometimes intentional and sometimes not. It's difficult to know from one's perspective which is definitively the case most times.

No, this entire incident occurred because someone's ego didn't allow him to simply get on with his life, and instead he had to follow the shitty driver escalating the situation. Following people who piss you off in traffic will never lead to anything good. Never. And being armed and purposefully putting yourself in that situation is doubly stupid.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Right or wrong with the "cutoff" > I would not have followed him prompting an escalation.

This

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no following. The guy is a dipshit looking for trouble like that

If it got to that, swinging knife dude wouldn't have made it through without a few holes

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'll disagree with your one point. This entire incident didn't occur because Riviera cut off some guy in traffic. People cut people off all the time in traffic, sometimes intentional and sometimes not. It's difficult to know from one's perspective which is definitively the case most times.

No, this entire incident occurred because someone's ego didn't allow him to simply get on with his life, and instead he had to follow the shitty driver escalating the situation. Following people who piss you off in traffic will never lead to anything good. Never.
Not going to disagree with the assertion the other driver should not have followed Rivera, but you wanna suggest that stopping and exiting your vehicle with a knife to confront the person following you, and then swinging it at that person as noted in the video is a 'good' idea? When testosterone overwhelms brain function and common sense, 'nothing' good follows.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Yup.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
...but you wanna suggest that stopping and exiting your vehicle with a knife to confront the person following you, and then swinging it at that person as noted in the video is a 'good' idea?

I made no such suggestion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I were looking at this as a jurist. (with only what I know from this video)

The issue of following Rivera might not be the smart decision, but at the point that Rivera produced a deadly weapon, had the guy presented his firearm and "stopped the threat", I would vote to acquit.

Same thing with Travon Martin and George Zimmerman.

The issue of confronting Travon might not be the smart decision, but when Travon was on top of Zimmerman and Smashing Pumpkin, George had the right to defend himself with deadly force to stop the threat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as we're quarterbacking, the guy who did the following looks pretty big and doesn't look like the verbal type in that cut sleeve shirt.

If you follow me looking like that, I'm not leaving my truck. And certainly not empty handed.

What was the intention of the guy following? BTW, it seems to me that the guy w/ the knife swung because the big guy seemed to start approaching - taking a step forward. The following guy started the offensive by following the knife guy.

I'm not making any judgements - the guy driving like an idiot - stupid should hurt.

But the guy following - avoid escalations, especially when carrying.

Dumb situation all around.

One thing - I don't like people following me. That would have ended one way or another, especially if I'm going home or work.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
1. Go Florida! Temps up chumps up.

2. Knife boy is an idiot.

3. Biker showed commendable restraint.

4. Knife boy recognized his mistake when he brought a knife to a gunfight, and by backing away, stayed alive.

5. I'm not sure I would have been any where near as cool as Biker.

6. Thank you, Florida Flagler County deputies and sheriff, for getting this right.

NY Post Article on Incident

quote:
Knife-slashing driver, gun-toting motorcyclist face-off in Florida road rage video

A knife-swinging truck driver and a gun-toting motorcyclist faced off in the street in a wild road-rage confrontation in Florida on Tuesday, video shows.

The rowdy encounter unfolded after Rafael Rivera, 50, who was driving a gray Toyota Tacoma, allegedly cut in front of a motorcyclist at the intersection of Pine Lakes Parkway and Whirlaway Drive just after 1 p.m., according to the Flagler County Sheriff’s Office.

When the two vehicles came to a stop, Rivera got out of the truck with a knife in his hands and approached the motorcyclist, according to footage released by the sheriff’s office.

The motorcyclist, expecting a confrontation, slipped on a pair of brass knuckles, cops said.

The clip, recorded by the biker’s female passenger, shows the two exchange expletives in the middle of the road before Rivera swipes the knife in the biker’s face.

The motorcyclist — who has a concealed carry permit — then draws a gun from inside his vest pocket after “fearing for his life,” cops said, and points it at Rivera, video shows.

The truck driver came at the motorcyclist with a knife, not knowing that the person he was attacking had a concealed weapon.

“I swear to God, put that f—ing thing down right now, motherf—r,” the biker yells at Rivera, who immediately begins retreating.

Rivera can then be heard calling the police and telling them, “I just had a guy pull a gun on me,” the clip shows.

Moments later, Flagler County deputies responded and detained both men as they investigated the incident, cops said.

Rafael Rivera was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill.

After reviewing the footage taken by the passenger and interviewing witnesses, Rivera was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill. He was taken to the Sheriff Perry Hall Inmate Detention Facility, where he is being held without bond.

Flagler County Sheriff Rick Staly said he “applauded” the way the motorcyclist handled the situation.

“After his life was clearly threatened, he lawfully defended himself and then de-escalated the situation,” Staly said in a statement. “The offender is lucky he was not shot. I also remind the community to not take traffic enforcement in your own hands and control your anger. Call the Sheriff’s Office instead.”

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I made no such suggestion.
I know you didn't which was why I made a point of asking. The other driver isn't totally blameless in escalating this incident, but Rivera is a moron of monumental proportions for doing what he did that got his sorry ass tossed in jail 'and' could have resulted in him being doubled tapped in the chest.

These are the type of incidents I try and school my son on how to handle because a large majority of people driving on the roads have simply lost their damns minds and act like idiots.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My take away is that those gun vests they sell at bike events are not as easy to draw from under pressure, he stumbled enough pulling the firearm it looked like knife boy could have made it to him before the gun got out.

Besides that, don't follow no matter how pissed off you are, the guy might get out with a gun, or worse, back over your motorcycle with their 5000 pound suv hurting or killing you or your wife or girl friend

Posts: 23399 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
......, he stumbled enough pulling the firearm it looked like knife boy could have made it to him before the gun got out.

This.

anyone remember Massad Ayoob's distance vs reaction rule when it comes to knives.

A local deputy here told me that anyone with a knife in hand gets shot if they come within 15 feet from a deputy -- no questions asked.

That said, don't follow trouble. Just move on with your day and listen to some Pink Floyd to cool down.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Rivera is a dipshit. He got out of the truck, swung a knife at the other driver on camera, and then calls 911. He’s lucky he isn’t in the hospital or morgue.

Not enough information given to say whether the motorclist:
  • actually changed courses and followed or
  • continued on his way after being cutoff and both vehicles were going in same direction.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fire begets Fire
    Picture of SIGnified
    posted Hide Post
    Lady in Houston ventilated some aggressive driver yesterday. Stay careful out there folks!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
    ~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    You are in a truck.

Guy follows you on a bike.

Why would you get out of your truck?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned for
    showing his ass
    posted Hide Post
    Retired LEO here with nearly four decades on a big city department ... just let it go and do not follow. Not worth it as illustrated in this case. Fortunately nobody was injured or killed ... potential was there.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigdeal:
    ...but Rivera is a moron of monumental proportions for doing what he did

We are in complete agreement there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)

is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    Florida man...

My takeaway from this is twofold:

Don't do this stupid stuff.

Practice your draw.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post