SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla's Leaking Oil
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla's Leaking Oil Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Do any of these electric vehicles have a tow rating?

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

The model X can tow a very light load.

What would you want to tow with an EV??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11087 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

No idea. But if they are the "wave of the future" as claimed they better be able to tow a 10K horse trailer. Or a 2K pop up for the yuppies camping.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
agreed. The horses will be needed once the batteries die after travelling more than 220 miles without the required recharging.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11087 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

A generator and fuel.

Posts: 11594 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A big solar array on a trailer?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
A generator and fuel.

Hahaha! Awesome. "Look at my new EV. So green. I can go 150 miles on a charge".

"What's that in the back"?

"Generator fuel. It holds 25 gallons of DF2 for the generator. In 12 hours we can get a full recharge and go another 150 miles".

"Righteous! Props to the enviornment!"

posted Hide Post
The reason the EV's will not take over the market in our lifetime is simple: cars don't have "batteries" or "diesel" or "propane" or "gasoline". Cars have *power sources*. One type of car has a power source that has a 500-mile range and can be refilled in 10 minutes. Another type of car has a power source that has a range of under 200 miles and takes as much as 12 hours to refill.

The second cannot economically compete with the former in most of the United States.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2105 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One can just imagine how much Obummer ‘crony capitalism’ money was keeping them afloat?

They shouldn’t get a dime of taxpayer money.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The reason the EV's will not take over the market in our lifetime is simple: cars don't have "batteries" or "diesel" or "propane" or "gasoline". Cars have *power sources*. One type of car has a power source that has a 500-mile range and can be refilled in 10 minutes. Another type of car has a power source that has a range of under 200 miles and takes as much as 12 hours to refill.

The second cannot economically compete with the former in most of the United States.

Tesla is working on electric Class 8 trucks. What a joke. It takes tremendous energy to drag 40 tons up a 6% grade. I'm sure they're just one more grant away from getting it right. Roll Eyes

Can't wait to see what fiction is next. Perhaps an electric jet airplane?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You guys just don't understand, driverless electric vehicles with batteries of infinite length are just around the corner, one day soon only SkyNet will own vehicles, you'll just rent them, and it will be glorious, and your 1% edge cases are not realistic nor hard to handle.

/s

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
You forgot the insurance bill will go down...

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ It'll go up at first, since so few will bother with the antiquated notion of (gasp) having the freedom to own your own vehicle, even (gasp) old ones that (gasp) use gas, making it all but impossible for regular people to use anything other than SkyUberLyftNet "taxis", and you'll save YUGE, and the environment wins, and the world is a better place for everyone.

Before you know it we'll all be reduced to being like Lee Majors in The Last Chase...

(groan)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

The model X can tow a very light load.

Because they're supposed to be the future. Even a small SUV like a Rav4 can tow a couple thousand pounds. The Model X is a bigger SUV, no reason it shouldn't be able to.

Posts: 2219 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Tesla's cashflow from operations is negative, has been so for seven of the last eight years, meaning they spend more cash to make and sell a car, than the cash they get back from the sale. They lose cash on every car they sell. I don't think they have ever had a profitable year. Their Tesla 3, the car for the masses is notably behind schedule in deliveries. That may turn around in the future, maybe not, I have my doubts.

It seems peculiar to me that with Tesla in such a challenging situation, that Musk is spending his time thinking of living on Mars and hyperloop trains.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but it goes 0-60 in 1.2 seconds.

#whiplash

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

It seems peculiar to me that with Tesla in such a challenging situation, that Musk is spending his time thinking of living on Mars and hyperloop trains.

Visionary with little on Delivery and execution.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

No double standards
posted Hide Post
Another thought. I would like to see a comprehensive analysis of the total environmental impact of making and operating a Tesla, including mining the lithium, making the batteries, generating the electricity needed to run the cars, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if a Tesla does as much environmental damage per mile as a conventional car.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Another thought. I would like to see a comprehensive analysis of the total environmental impact of making and operating a Tesla, including mining the lithium, making the batteries, generating the electricity needed to run the cars, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if a Tesla does as much environmental damage per mile as a conventional car.

Such a study has been done, and you are correct.

Yes, electricity doesn't just come directly from the sun as many would wish.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, electricity doesn't just come directly from the sun as many would wish.

Whoa slow your roll! Are you telling me my vegan organic jeep does not get powered by sunshine and smiles?

Commie. Hillary told me you would say that. You lie.