SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla's Leaking Oil
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla's Leaking Oil Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Another thought. I would like to see a comprehensive analysis of the total environmental impact of making and operating a Tesla, including mining the lithium, making the batteries, generating the electricity needed to run the cars, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if a Tesla does as much environmental damage per mile as a conventional car.

Such a study has been done, and you are correct.

Yes, electricity doesn't just come directly from the sun as many would wish.

Sidenote. I have noted before, the electricity from the Ivanpah solar power plant in the Mojave costs 50% more than they planned. The facility has severely harmed the local flora and fauna. And they had to register as a gross polluter, as they have gas powered turbines to generate electricity when the sun isn't shining. But as we know, solar electricity is needed to save planet earth. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Anyone with a semiconductor physics background would have realized the Mojave is a bad place for PV panels. Too hot. The equations are straightforward.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11087 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Anyone with a semiconductor physics background would have realized the Mojave is a bad place for PV panels. Too hot. The equations are straightforward.

The physics may suck, but the politics under Obama were ideal. Somehow I think the taxpayer will come out behind, but various gov't people and their cronies have done well. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
I don't think a Tesla has enough battery power to reach 88 miles per hour, even with a flux capacitor.

Sure it does.

The first Tesla production model, the Roadster, has a top speed governed at 125 MPH (but without the governor has the potential for higher speeds), and goes 0-60 MPH in 3.9 seconds.

The Tesla Model S has a top speed governed at 155 MPH, with a 0-60 of 2.8 seconds.

The Model X has a top speed of 130 MPH, with a 0-60 of 6 seconds.

The Model 3 has a top speed of 140 MPH, with a 0-60 of 5.1 seconds.

Mind you, those speeds are achieved dropping from the cargo bay of a C-17 at 37,000 feet.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31984 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Funny. Tesla is unsustainable.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29903 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
I don't think a Tesla has enough battery power to reach 88 miles per hour, even with a flux capacitor.

Sure it does.

The first Tesla production model, the Roadster, has a top speed governed at 125 MPH (but without the governor has the potential for higher speeds), and goes 0-60 MPH in 3.9 seconds.

The Tesla Model S has a top speed governed at 155 MPH, with a 0-60 of 2.8 seconds.

The Model X has a top speed of 130 MPH, with a 0-60 of 6 seconds.

The Model 3 has a top speed of 140 MPH, with a 0-60 of 5.1 seconds.

Mind you, those speeds are achieved dropping from the cargo bay of a C-17 at 37,000 feet.

I can't speak to anything but the Model S. It is fast as hell from a standing stop. Doing a lot of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds will significantly cut its range. The same goes for high speed cruising. The self driving aspects of the car are very impressive, especially in low visibility situations. It's also very nice in rush hour freeway traffic. All that said the car is (or should be) a no go for 99% of us even with the tax credit you get for buying one. The price is very high and the range is very limited. Add to that no one really knows what the resale value of 100,000 mile cars will be. What does it cost to replace batteries, motors, radars, and CPUs (there are a lot of them)? In the near future I don't think the car will be much more than an expensive novelty item for the well-to-do.

On a side note, my buddy that owns one took a job in Denver. It took him 19 hours to make an 8-9 hour drive from Salt Lake City. Pretty pathetic for such a high priced vehicle. When he told me that his car lost a lot of its shine in my eyes. He mentioned that pulling up to a charging station in the middle of Wyoming and seeing a couple of cars in front of you brings on a depression that requires medicationBig Grin

Posts: 7666 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No car ive ever seen has that kind of acceleration.

Slip down to Pomona the weekend of November 9th-12th or next February 8th-11th and you should see quite a few of them. Wink

NHRA 2017 Schedule
https://www.nhra.com/schedule

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:...Doing a lot of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds will significantly cut its range. ...my buddy that owns one took a job in Denver. It took him 19 hours to make an 8-9 hour drive from Salt Lake City....

So maybe he could go Salt Lake to Denver without needing to stop for a recharge, as long as he held it at a steady 5 mph. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
...Can't wait to see what fiction is next. Perhaps an electric jet airplane?

Just you wait! Zunum is planning on having one for sale by 2022. Price: $3 million. Range: 700 miles.

Ahhhhhhahahahahahaha:

http://www.businessinsider.com...hange-flying-2017-10

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
They lose cash on every car they sell.
But they make it up on volume. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31372 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I had to search for a thread on Tesla and I'm glad there is one on the forum.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who questions the Great Elon Musk!

I'm starting to think that guy is a congenital liar.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by italia:
It was all smooth sailing when Obama was pumping the company with taxpayers' money.[QUOTE]

This is the short answer. Also, the best answer.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Covert Recordings Of Tesla's New Model 3 Facility Reveal Something Unexpected

Over the past week Tesla stock has enjoyed a torrid surge, driven by a short squeeze following an email to employees by CEO Elon Musk, in which he updated workers of the company’s plan to produce 5,000 Model 3 cars per week by the end of this month, and warning short sellers "they have about three weeks before their short position explodes", supposedly a warning that the company will surprise Wall Street with either stellar (or at least positive) cash flow or production numbers.

Musk said the company is now producing “about 500” vehicles per day, or about 3,500 per week, adding that some parts of the production system have already reached the quota of 700 cars per day and praised staff for their hard work.

“It’s getting very exciting! All parts of the Model 3 production system are now above 500 and some are almost at 700 cars already. Congratulations to all on making so much progress,” Musk said in the email sent Friday night.

And yet, it wasn't all clear skies, because Musk also said that there are a few bottlenecks preventing all parts of production from reaching the goal of 700 cars per day. “Radical improvements” are still needed on some parts of the production line, the real world Tony Stark lamented. That confused some investors: how can the company be on track to hit its quota yet be in desperate need of "radical improvements"?

Adding to the bizarre narrative and the inherent contradictions in the story, the CEO told employees that he will be at the Fremont factory “almost 24/7 for the next several days” to make sure the teams that are behind -- which include the paint shop and the end of the general assembly line -- get “as many resources as they can handle.”

The paradoxical twist, of course, was that one week ago, just as Tesla was entering the burst quarter end period, Musk was firing 9% of the "salaried workforce" raising more than one eyebrow about the company's management (and motivational) methods.

Still, even with all this excitement, Tesla was behind: earlier this month Musk said it is “quite likely” that Tesla will hit a weekly Model 3 production rate of 5,000 cars “by the end of this month.” Here, too, eyebrows were raised as Tesla had originally planned to make 5,000 Model 3 cars per week by the end of 2017, but could not even hit half that quota in reality.

Which brought us to this weekend, when Musk unveiled that as crunchtime was approaching, the company launched a whole new general assembly line "in 3 weeks w minimal resources" which incidentally was housed in a tent, and tweeted what he claimed was a "pic of 1st Model 3 dual motor performance coming off the line."

Then, on Tuesday morning, with just 11 days left until the end of the quarter and the deadline to hit the Model 3 quota, Musk explained that he "needed another general assembly line to reach 5k/week Model 3 production. A new building was impossible, so we built a giant tent in 2 weeks."

Incidentally, these are just two of the dozens of tweets Musk has sent out in the past two weeks, a time when he supposedly was "on the factory floor", when in reality he has been wasting much of his time in futile Twitter arguments.

And so, as the back and forth between Trump and his skeptics and critics continues, earlier today covert videos showing the inside of the Model 3 production "tent", which houses the latest assembly line was leaked. What it reveals is concerning... because it reveals nothing at all: an assembly line with a handful of cars on it, with virtually no production, with no engaged workers and worst of all, no movement or purpose at all. Almost as if the whole facility is one elaborate stage prop to give the impression of work, as the actual workers just sit around and do nothing.

One look at the below video, and one wonders just how many Model 3 is Tesla really producing at this moment?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...something-unexpected

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24571 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Musk seems to have done a good job with SpaceX.

How much are Teslas subsidized?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Musk seems to have done a good job with SpaceX.

How much are Teslas subsidized?

I believe Obama hooked up Musk with approximately $5 billion.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
With regards to the firings, I'm for it. It seems they're actually using the idea of continuously getting rid of the bottom people.

I've always held that if companies would shoot a couple of people when some snafu happens, people will pay attention and shape up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20011 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
” to make sure the teams that are behind -- which include the paint shop and the end of the general assembly line

As one who knows a bit about auto assembly I can tell you that your production WILL be limited to paint shop thru-put. And problems in the paint shop are not usually easy to fix.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The fact of the matter is that without the 5 billion in tax dollars that Hussein gave them, they would’ve already been a memory by now. Their cars are junk.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm starting to think that guy is a congenital liar.

I've wondered the same thing myself. He's a bit too adept at talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk: proving P.T. Barnum right, one minute at a time.

Posts: 11594 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post