SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore's colossal Key Bridge collapses in moments after container ship crashes into it flinging 'multiple' cars into the river
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore's colossal Key Bridge collapses in moments after container ship crashes into it flinging 'multiple' cars into the river Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Video at link.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-container-ship.html

By ROSS IBBETSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 02:56 EDT, 26 March 2024 | UPDATED: 04:21 EDT, 26 March 2024

Rescue workers in Baltimore are working furiously in an attempt to save the lives of dozens of people who were plunged into the frigid waters of the Patapsco River when the Francis Scott Key bridge collapsed after being hit by a container ship.

The astonishing moment when the bridge, which sits 9,000 feet above the river, collapsed was caught on camera. Kevin Cartwright, director of communications for the Baltimore Fire Department, called the situation 'a dire emergency.'

Initial reports indicate that at least a dozens cars hit the 47 degree water in addition to a dozen or so construction workers who were working on the bridge at the time.

Around 30,000 vehicles use the bridge every day. As a result of the collapse, the city of Baltimore is now cut off for traffic from the sea.

The ship involved is the Dali, a Singaporean-flagged container which could be seen on ship tracking websites positioned stationary under the bridge following the crash.

Multiple boats marked as Coast Guard search and rescue vessels were surrounding the ship at around 3am Eastern.

There appeared to be an explosion on the container ship as the bridge smashed into the vessel.

A livestream showed the disaster unfolding, with the vessel plowing into a pile holding up the central part of the bridge. The road and steel arches immediately tumble into the water.

The US Coast Guard and the Maryland Transportation Authority confirmed the crash but provided no further details.

The 1.6-mile bridge, which is part of I-695, crosses the Patapsco River in Baltimore's harbor. Built in 1977, the main span of the truss bridge at 1,200ft is the third longest span of any continuous truss in the world.

The structure carries around 12million vehicles every year.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
9000 ft above the river?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They haven't had their coffee, yet.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They've revised it to 1,200' then 180' so far.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
1,200 ft is the length of the span not the height above the water.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
This is awful news.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The Port of Baltimore will be completely shut down for at least a month - maybe more. That is NOT good.

I-695 is the Baltimore Beltway. Traffic will be a nightmare for a long, long time.

I’ve crossed that bridge more times than I can count and all I can say is… wow.

Prayers for all who lost their lives this morning.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That’s horrible for those involved and for their families. I hope they were able to rescue those involved but between the crash following the collapse, the risk of drowning and the shock of being in the frigid water if they don’t immediately, and the secondary collapses of the truss structure above (and its presence affecting potential rescue), I fear the death toll will be a high percentage of those involved.

As a structural engineer, situations like this are dreaded but ever-present risks.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The vessel, leased to Maersk had two pilots aboard. The port's private and public terminals handled 847,158 autos and light trucks in 2023, the most of any U.S. port. The port also handles farm and construction machinery, sugar, gypsum and coal, according to a Maryland government website.It will now be shutdown for some time.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Singapore-flagged ship Dali struck a support pylon of the bridge.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/387385

All of the ship’s crew have been accounted for, with no injuries.

What we know about the ship that crashed into and took down the Maryland bridge

https://www.businessinsider.co...ryland-bridge-2024-3

The container ship is about 984 feet long and up to 157 feet wide, while the bridge is part of I-695.

The Dali's owner is listed as Grace Ocean, a Singapore-based firm, and its manager is listed as Synergy Marine, which is also headquartered in Singapore.

Danish shipping company Maersk chartered the Dali, with a schedule for the ship on its website.

The Dali is also listed as being built in 2015 by Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korea.

In 2016, maritime blogs such as Shipwreck Log and ship-tracking site VesselFinder posted videos of what appears to be the stern of the same, blue-hulled container vessel scraping against a quay in Antwerp.

The container ship Dali (IMO: 9697428) has overall length of 300.00 m, moulded beam of 48.00 m and maximum draft of 11.00 m. The deadweight of the carrier is 111,032 DWT and the gross tonnage is 94,730 GRT. The vessel was built in 2015 by Hyundai Heavy Industries in South Korean. The owner of the container ship Dali Greek company Oceanbulk Maritime, but currently vessel is chartered by Maersk Line.

Video of the allision of container ship Dali can be seen here. https://www.vesselfinder.com/n...h-at-Port-of-Antwerp

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It seems from satellite photos that new cars are delivered into that port. Presumably from Europe, though as I recall Asian cars also hit the "Port of Baltimore", which I believe must be this?

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It seems from satellite photos that new cars are delivered into that port. Presumably from Europe, though as I recall Asian cars also hit the "Port of Baltimore", which I believe must be this?

Correct. More vehicles have been delivered here annually than any other port in the US for years.

This is the last turn into the port after leaving the Chesapeake Bay.

Baltimore is no longer accessible by water.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
This is horrible. At least it occurred at 1:30am.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
The Port of Baltimore will be completely shut down for at least a month - maybe more. That is NOT good.

I-695 is the Baltimore Beltway. Traffic will be a nightmare for a long, long time.

I’ve crossed that bridge more times than I can count and all I can say is… wow.

Prayers for all who lost their lives this morning.

-Rob

Cue CDI to clean up he wreckage.

They probably got a call about 0400.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
From the video, he dead centered the pylon and there is a red marker over the center of the span where he was suppose to go under. From the video, the ship was having power issues and should have had tugs on site long before entering the harbor.

Both of those pilots should be held responsible for any deaths.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
livestream video; it's apparent that the ship lost power twice

HO-LEE FUCK

https://x.com/Brick_Suit/statu...552045951852756?s=20

better link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDceU9x58vc

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Jesus. I’ve driven that bridge hundreds of times in my life. I have a buddy probably working SAR right now.

The ONLY somewhat saving grace is the time this happened. If this had happened at rush hour the loss of life would have been gigantic, not that this minimizes the losses that have occurred.

Like was also said this is a huge economic disaster as well.

This hits close to home so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The stuff of nightmares for those on the bridge. Just awful.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Sobering thought; my family was going to be on that bridge this morning en route to Philly.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Does the Port of Baltimore require Harbor Pilots? In Boston Harbor the Harbor Pilots know every nook and cranny of the Harbor. Maybe mechanical issues with the ship.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post