SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Continued from here: The Trump Presidency : Year IV, so as to stop derailing that thread with this side-topic. I've started the thread with a couple selected follow-ups, for context.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I would like to think the next protests should be aimed squarely at F-book, Twatter, and mainstream media.

The best way to protest them is simply stop using them. Period.

We watch no dominant media "news." None. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Even the local "news" is now mainly skipped-over to catch just the weather forecast, and we're beginning to skip even that. Got weather apps on our phones and tablets. Don't really need 'em. It's more habit. A habit we're breaking.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Why do I see members bitching about them, then turning around and, in the next post, posting links to them? Hello??? If your browser has a blacklist capability, blacklist them all. I did.

Later, I posted this:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
President Trump needs to start his own social media sites along with a news channel.

Entirely unnecessary.

Twitter replacements: Gab and Parler

Facebook replacement: MeWe

YouTube replacement: Rumble

quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Just because members here may post a link to Twitter does not necessarily indicate they are on Twitter.

I wrote nothing about being "on" Twitter. I explicitly wrote "posting links to them." When you post a link to Twitter you're driving traffic to Twitter's network, thus improving their traffic stats and their bottom line. Just like posting links to CNN, MSNBC, you-name-it.

Discuss.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:

Entirely unnecessary.

Twitter replacements: Gab and Parler

Facebook replacement: MeWe

YouTube replacement: Rumble

Bannon was talking about that this morning and mentioned how some aren't available for all devices or they are hard to use. The bottom line is we agree in moving away from we are using now.

You don't need an app. You can access all of these with a web browser--both from desktop and mobile.

I never used apps when I was on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, either. Didn't trust 'em that far. Facebook, in particular, who had a proven track record of playing loose with privacy and mobile OS developers' rules.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
May I remind folks that this is not a one-sided activity. I, for one, would find it difficult to avoid Facebook because many people I wish to communicate with are using it, and I don't expect them to change to another venue. Also, there are specific interest Groups there that I belong to, and that probably wouldn't agree to move.

I don't tweet or Instagram, and don't initiate communications on FB, but I cannot at this time just stop using FB.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Was on FB for about 10yrs and MySpace for about a year before that. Just last year, around October, got rid of FB, the only social media I was still on. Honestly, I was only on there for friends with dogs. I never met any of them personally and we aren't related. If I need to contact real world friends and relatives, I call them or email them. I don't miss FB, but it's like nicotine for some folks. Hard to kick the habit. Even for those like me who lived without social media for decades and decades. So glad I was able to just walk away. It wasn't something I couldn't do without.

EDIT: If push came to shove, I could walk away from every Internet forum I'm on, mostly this one but am on a couple of other forums computer related. I've "cut the cord" and I've limited my Internet presence. When I purchased a personal computer in 1996, I wondered what I was going to do with it and was there anything outside of AOL. I lived without a computer hella longer than I have lived with one.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not use FB or Twitter. Most of the people I know that use it are not people I care to communicate with anyway. My real friends and family know how to verbally communicate.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use any kind of social media what so ever.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Did that a long time ago. There’s nothing offered on any of those that are worth the attendant strife they bring with them.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got censured from Facebook after posting pro Trump info.

I then went over to MeWe and I'm content there.

Also, I spent some time on Parler but found it too buggy several weeks ago and deleted it, YMMV.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

Me neither - sigforum is the closest I get.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I get along just fine with none of that BS.

I hear that my sister posts crazy profanity-filled anti-Trump posts on Facebook. Good for her. Let the lunatics rant.

When I see that robot fuckhead Zuckerberg say that they have permanently locked the account of the POTUS, I do get my dander up. Who the hell is he to decide what the American people can see or not?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I deleted my Twitter account today after they announced the suspension of the President's account for the remainder of his term in office. I was a relatively early adopter of it and used it as a sort of daily news feed for many years, but no more. My account was always anonymous and I never posted any personal photos or information, but I consider it now to be an enemy of the people and nation.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I deleted my Twitter account today ... I consider it now to be an enemy of the people and nation.

That is why I finally dumped Facebook, myself. I'm as good as anybody, perhaps better than some, at rationalizing. Recent events were the straw that broke this camel's back. I could no longer justify, to myself, continuing to support platforms that are actively aiding the assault on my country.

We all draw our lines where we feel we must, but I honestly don't see how anybody can claim to love this country while continuing to support these platforms.

posted Hide Post
I finally dumped FB after they told me my post was deleted under their hate speech protocol. The post, which I quote in its entirety:

“Nothing to rebut. Americans are sheep. Sad”

It was my only post in the thread. I was taken aback and then I realized those fuckers were making it easy. Fuck them and like that I was gone.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's another new one CloutHub. Sounds similar to Parler.

"CloutHub is a non-biased platform. We support free speech and protect your privacy. We don't data-mine, track, or sell user data. We don't suppress your reach or manipulate what you get to see. We empower our members to influence the issues they care about.

Existing Social Media is focused on likes, followers, "Click-Bait" and things that don't matter. CloutHub brings people together who are passionate about making a difference.

Designed for civic, social, and political empowerment and engagement with the tools and resources you need to influence the issues you care about."

https://www.clouthub.com/about

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Since facebook and twitter blocked Trump, he is welcome to use my accounts to continue posting. They can't block us all.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too dont use FB or other forms of social media. And people who know me seemed shocked and appalled that I dont. The usual whine is "its so much easier to stay in touch" and "you can buy stuff from it and get news too".
Arguments that FB is slanted, biased, outright false and intrusive are wasted on most FB addicts. And I believe it is an addiction. I have heard this addiction referred to as FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. Everyone you know wants to see a selfie of you and your cheeseburger at lunch, dont they? Today, I went to the grocery store. Due to the WhooHooFloo, you have a long line of people waiting to return their cans (more stupidity) and bottles. There were five or six people in line when I went by it, and all of them were on their phones. No one was talking, but the phones were all in use.
In years past we were concerned that widespread opiate use was harming our society. Social media is an addicting opiate as well and equally (if not more so) damaging to our society.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

Me neither - sigforum is the closest I get.

Same here.

And I think too much of the mainstream media and social media have the Goebbels virus in them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Oh if I could be god for a day. One of the first actions I'd take is to shut down Twitter and Facebook and keep them down until I decided to bring them up again. How much fun would it be to watch all those people go into withdrawal when they couldn't tweet or post. And I'm not even going to divulge what I'd do to Jack Dorsey himself...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Even if everything shifts to Parler, WeMe and Rumble, it will only be a matter of time before they end up the same way as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

I choose not to be on any social media (Twitter, FB or Instagram) at all. All the people I want to communicate with with any regularity are saved in my phone. I'm a member of the forums I'm interested in.

But I'm not on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram because I disagree with their politics. I do, but that's not the main reason. I'm principally not there becasure I think social media is detrimental to mental health. I found my own self comparing my life to people on those platforms and came to my senses. They're all a cesspool of narcissism. I don't see how growing alternative sites won't be just the same thing.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m another who this is the closest to social media that I’ll have. Used to have Facebook, deactivated it probably a year ago. I keep telling myself I’ll log in to download some pictures and then completely nuke it for good. But I haven’t.

Don’t miss it. I’m perfectly content being an antisocial hermit except for work and for wherever the wife drags me or I’ve got to take the kids.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post