SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too Login/Join 
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:
Sadly, it looks like Gab has become thoroughly unusable. I know why, but that doesn't change the unfortunate reality.

It's still slow, but becoming somewhat more usable now.

That's good to see. I'm actually a paid user.

Also a paid user at WeMe. I'm thinking about becoming a paid user at Rumble, but their minimum subscription is $10/mo. A bit steep for as much as I'd use it.

I just got on gab after parler got harpooned, so I'm still finding my way around ,,, which ain't been easy with all the lag and unresponsiveness.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Seems to be the best thread for this:
quote:
Ordering a Pizza in 2022
CALLER: Is this Pizza Hut?

GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.

GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.

CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER: My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: Super! That’s what I’ll have.

GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER: What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!

GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER: How the hell do you know that?

GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.

CALLER: I bought more from another Pharmacy.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: I paid in cash.

GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!

CALLER: WHAT THE HECK?

GOOGLE: I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
About using Amazon Prime:

I've read about folks using Amazon to search for a product, but then ordering it direct from the retailer's website, with no reference to Amazon.

Does this defund Amazon, or do they somehow still get revenue from this procedure?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I've read about folks using Amazon to search for a product, but then ordering it direct from the retailer's website, with no reference to Amazon.

Does this defund Amazon, or do they somehow still get revenue from this procedure?

Yes, search on Amazon, find the best price, note who the seller is which is always displayed. Then go to their web page and order.

The only downside is your CC number is going to be on 100's of ecommerce sites vs stored at Amazon. Then again some day someone will hack Amazons ecommerce data and steal CC numbers, its inevitable and too enticing... probably be Thomas Gabriel, you know he hacked into the US defense system and shutdown NORAD with a laptop...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

If you order it direct from the retailer, there's no association with Amazon, so Amazon gets nothing.

Before we signed up for Amazon Prime, indeed before we used Amazon a lot, I'd often use Amazon for a price check, then go elsewhere to buy. That is what I'm back to doing.

Amazon has now become my Retailer Of Last Resort.

Once we have enough reward points on one of our cards I'll acquire another Apple TV and decommission the second-to-the-last Fire TV we have. I'll keep the Fire TV Stick for when we travel--and that primarily so we can access our home OTA TV system, Netflix, and whatever other streaming services while away. That's it. (If we end up not using it the next time we vacation, that will be decommissioned and sold or given away, too.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Except for Rumble, these alternative apps rarely work.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

After they smoothed out some rough edges, MeWe app seems to work well. My favorite day on MeWe is Tuesday.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

MeWe seems to have been working fine. Gab seems to be working well now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Speaking of MeWe, look what I just found there:

quote:

Facebook and Google have been accused of striking a secret, illegal advertising deal
Isobel Asher Hamilton Dec 17, 2020, 5:58 AM

A coalition of state attorneys general filed an antitrust case against Google on Wednesday.

They accused Google of giving Facebook unfair advertising advantages to stop it from getting into an area of adtech called "header bidding." Google perceived a move by Facebook into this space as a threat, they said.

Per Wired, if this deal is proved to be true, it could spell big trouble for Google and Facebook, as it would fall under part of the Sherman Antitrust Act that has a relatively low bar for illegality.

Google denied the claims, and Facebook was not immediately available for comment.

Ref: Facebook and Google have been accused of striking a secret, illegal advertising deal

As if their anti-American, anti-free speech behavior wasn't enough.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Facebook bans ads for gun accessories in run-up to inauguration

I'm still seeing posts for guns (Tanner's Sports Center and others), and holsters, but those are posts and not sponsored ads. Good thing I'm not in marketing.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
I sold my stock positions in Amazon and Google last week. I didn't have any Facebook or Twitter stock. I've kept my Apple stock and my iPhone.

I deleted my FB account a couple of years ago. Never had a Twitter account.

Same here. Got tired of all the crap from FB. Had family members spending all their time there, posting such vital info as recipes for all kinds of stuff, pictures of roast beef, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the article:
quote:

"We are banning ads that promote weapon accessories and protective equipment in the US at least through January 22...

Note emphasis added.

Why in God's name any freedom-loving American would still have anything to do with Facebook is totally beyond me. Sorry.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not only do most of them barely work, they are quickly becoming conservatives ghettos which is EXACTLY WHAT THE LEFT HAD IN MIND. We are now all these islands and not connected like the Facebooks and Twitters are.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by skyline009:
Next is to dump Apple and Google phone.

Easy to say. Not so easy to do. Even if one can still find flip phones, modern smart phones have become something more than just convenient or cool to have.

It's still a bit rough around the edges, but here's a smart phone that doesn't run iOS or Android (not even one of the "de-Googled" versions):
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

I don't know if there's a Linux version of your keyring software, though.

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Not only do most of them barely work, ...

Both Gab and MeWe are working fine for me now.

quote:
they are quickly becoming conservatives ghettos

As opposed to the leftist ghettos Facebook and Twitter have become, you mean?

quote:
We are now all these islands and not connected like the Facebooks and Twitters are.

What would you suggest? That we continue to support Facebook and Twitter?

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are now all these islands and not connected like the Facebooks and Twitters are.

What would you suggest? That we continue to support Facebook and Twitter?

I'd rather be on an island where everyone is allowed to be heard, than support sites that are actively trying to suppress my voice.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
MeWe Goes Big Tech Authoritarian, Opts for Political Censorship
This is no different than a Big Tech platform.

Supposed Big Tech alternative MeWe is opting for the path of political censorship and repression, caving to demands of media leftists to censor right-leaning political content.

MeWe’s administrators confirmed they would close so-called ‘Stop the Steal’ groups and purge their content from its platform earlier this month.

Trending: Democrats Move to Ban Trump Supporters From Joining the Military and Holding Federal Jobs

MeWe styles itself as somewhat of a Facebook alternative, advertising user privacy and independence from a data surveillance business model. MeWe’s administrators have taken to signalling against real free speech social media platforms such as Parler and Gab, a thumb in the face of their largely anti-establishment user base, many of whom joined the service to begin with in pursuit of a Facebook alternative that doesn’t censor.

MeWe is NOT an "anything goes" site like Parler or Gab. MeWe's TOS is strict & clear (https://t.co/oJP1JvrxiZ)- haters, lawbreakers, violence inciters etc. are not welcome. We have an outstanding Trust & Safety team that works hard every day to investigate & remove TOS-violators

— MeWe (@mewe) January 10, 2021

An overwhelming majority of Americans who attended ‘Stop the Steal’ protests are peaceful and non-violent, with only a handful getting out of control during the January 6th raucous US Capitol riot. MeWe’s decision to implement political censorship en masse makes it no different than the worst Big Tech authoritarians, except for the deceptive marketing of a free speech social media platform.

In any event, a social media platform that bans arbitrarily defined “haters” is almost assured to have draconian anti-free speech policies. MeWe has opted for the path of a minuscule Big Tech clone in a betrayal of its own user base. Gab offers a wide range of social services without the politically correct censorship, and MeWe’s users should embrace it as the real home of free speech online.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/...olitical-censorship/

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Sen. Hawley: It’s time to stand up against the muzzling of America

By Josh Hawley

January 24, 2021

Have you checked your social credit score lately? You might want to. Mine seems to have taken a nosedive this month. You might want to see how yours is doing.

Everyone knows what a credit score is. But social credit scores are new. They’re the latest corporate import from Communist China, where government and big business monitor every citizen’s social views and statements.

And they’re the latest form of cancel culture in this country, as corporate monopolies and the left team up to shut down speech they don’t like and force their political agenda on America. For those who still believe in free speech and the First Amendment, this is the time to take a stand.

Like the old-fashioned kind of credit score, your social credit requires a lot of maintenance. You’ll need to get good grades in school and stay out of trouble with the law. But that’s just the start — you have to earn your right to live in polite society these days. So if you want to get a good job, stay at hotels and be served at restaurants, you will need to do a few other things. You will need to voice the right opinions. You will need to endorse the right ideas. You will need to conform. That’s what the corporate chieftains tell us, anyway.

They tried to reprimand me this month because I didn’t. On behalf of the voters of my state, I raised a challenge to the presidential electors from Pennsylvania after that state conducted the election in violation of the state constitution. Maybe you agree with me. Maybe you don’t. But whatever your view, corporate America’s rush to cancel those it dislikes should trouble you.

In my case, it started with leftist politicians demanding I resign from office for representing the views of my constituents and leading a democratic debate on the floor of the Senate.

Taking that cue, a corporate publishing house then canceled a book it had asked me to write. Ironically enough, the book is about political censorship by the most powerful corporations in America. (And will be published by an independent publishing house.) Now corporate America is canceling my political events, because two parties are apparently one too many for their taste.

It will get worse. The tech titans have already booted dozens of conservatives off social media, and if they have their way, half the House Republican conference will be expelled from Congress. The corporate titans seem to believe that the only way to get a democracy to their liking is to eliminate all threats to the Democratic Party’s unified control of government.

The alliance of leftists and woke capitalists hopes to regulate the innermost thoughts of every American, from school age to retirement. And they’ve trained enforcers of the woke orthodoxy to monitor dissent or misbehavior. A “Karen” who cuts the wrong person off in traffic gets followed home on a livestream and shamed into crying for mercy as her license plate is broadcast to an online horde eager to hound her out of a job.

Everyone knows it can happen to them, so everyone shuts down. The circle of trust narrows. Conversations — too easily recorded — shift to encrypted messaging apps. For now. Until those get banned too for interfering in efficient social credit markets.

For some time, conservatives, recognizing that we’re now the counterculture, indulged in the delusion that we could opt out of all this. We’d send our kids to schools that don’t teach all the woke stuff. We’d make our friends at church, not at work, and take comfort that trust and openness were still possible in communities of shared purpose. We’d vote our conscience, because the ballot box was something no election could take from us.
New York Post cover

And if ever our political organizing were impeded by censorship — say, by the big tech giants — we could build our own platforms.

But the left and the corporations are challenging all of this now. Your “conservative” social platform isn’t worth much when Amazon can shut it down. Your vote may still be yours, but if your party is denied the means to effectively organize by corporate monopolies, it’s not going to win. Your church, well, you can still attend for now, but go to the wrong church and you may not have a job in a few years.

Here’s the good news. The cancel culture agenda will only succeed if we let it. We need live in fear only if we choose to say nothing. In this time of testing, conservatives must not shrink back. We need to stand up for the right of every American to be heard.

We need to stand up for the basic principles that join all Americans together — the right to speak freely, to debate openly, and to address our differences graciously without fear of being silenced or punished for dissenting views.

I for one am not going to back down. My book will be published, and I will continue to represent the people of my state without fear or favor, whatever the left or the corporations say.

The powerful see in the present moment an opportunity to consolidate their control over society and to squelch dissent. That means those who believe in the First Amendment and the fundamental principles of American liberty must now take a stand, while we still can.

Sen. Josh Hawley is a Republican representing Missouri.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/...muzzling-of-america/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
MeWe Goes Big Tech Authoritarian, Opts for Political Censorship
This is no different than a Big Tech platform.

Slapping-down clear, blatant, hate speech, speech that clearly promotes violence, etc. is one thing, but

is not acceptable. I've just cancelled my MeWe Premium subscription.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It just opens up the opportunity for Trump to make a competitor......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post