SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No". Amazon, Too Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Other than dabbling in Tiktok, I’ve never been on what I’d consider to be true social media (I exclude forums like this as falling into that category) and never will. I’ve seen too much time wasted by other folks and too much angst from walking a loaded hypocrite rules tightrope to remain part of the crowd.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Google has removed Parler from Google Play, and Apple is threatening to remove the app from the App Store. Apple, of course, is demanding censorship.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
May I remind folks that this is not a one-sided activity. I, for one, would find it difficult to avoid Facebook because many people I wish to communicate with are using it, and I don't expect them to change to another venue. Also, there are specific interest Groups there that I belong to, and that probably wouldn't agree to move.

I don't tweet or Instagram, and don't initiate communications on FB, but I cannot at this time just stop using FB.

flashguy

Ditto.

My SiL and niece, who live in a distant state, have forsaken email in favor of FB. So I need a FB account to keep up with their doings. It’s the only social media account that I have.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Google has removed Parler from Google Play, and Apple is threatening to remove the app from the App Store. Apple, of course, is demanding censorship.

While that sucks, on both Google's and Apple's part, it's not a big deal. You can still use Parler with a web browser.

As I noted in the Trump thread: Gab told Apple, Google, and the rest of them to bugger off. That's why there are no Gab apps. It was only a matter of time before it happened to Parler. Parler now is faced with either following Gab's example, and losing market share, or complying, and losing market share. IOW: Parler is screwed.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
... I cannot at this time just stop using FB.
flashguy

Ditto.

I get it. You guys don't believe these platforms are a big enough threat to this country to override your interests. I once believed as do you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Parler app is on Appurse. I'm sure you'll be able to download it from parler's website soon.

Ultimately, Google and Apple have no control over Parler.

I wonder what would happen if some ISPs decided not to allow access to Twitter anymore over their censorship?

---

I tried Parler and didn't like it. Even if I did, it has a significant problem: if you forget the email address you use to register, you will never get back in.

Forgot you log in phone number? We'll send you an e-mail.
Forgot you password? We'll send you an e-mail.
Forgot your e-mail? We'll send you an e-mail. << I shit you not, they send an e-mail to the e-mail address you either can't remember or don't have anymore to let you know what the e-mail address was you used to register.

And if you try to create a new account with a new e-mail address, you will be blocked if you use the same phone number as before. "User with that phone already exists."

---

I do think it's funny that Twitter and FB are banning conservatives. Leftist scum are notoriously cannibalistic. They have to fight with someone. They live to advance a cause. If they don't have a conservative to fight with, they'll pick fights with themselves. And by banning conservatives, leftist scum are creating Parler accounts in drives so they can re engage in their leftist behaviors. Parler apparently has had tens of millions of new accounts created in days.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I tried Parler and didn't like it. Even if I did, it has a significant problem: if you forget the email address you use to register, you will never get back in.

Forgot you log in phone number? We'll send you an e-mail.
Forgot you password? We'll send you and e-mail.

How would you suggest they handle that, other than contacting you via the verified email address with which you registered?

quote:
Forgot your e-mail? We'll send you and e-mail. << I shit you not, they send an e-mail to the e-mail address you either can't remember and don't have anymore.

I agree: That's pretty stupid.

But I'd also argue anybody who changed their phone number and/or email address w/o updating their various logins is pretty stupid, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what would happen if some ISPs decided not to allow access to Twitter anymore over their censorship?

Twitter would probably start offering free VPN.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, as soon as I’m able to post again, I’m making one last Facebook post asking anyone who still wants to stay in touch to message me their contact information and then I’m out.

I’ve been blocked, AKA “FB Jail” , 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, 15 days and now 30 days...all in the past 6-7 months after being there for 13+ years with no problems whatsoever.

I think they have all of us conservatives marked. Not being a part of this BS any longer.

FUCK YOU ZUCKERBERG. Mad

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parler's process for communication through email only is to keep stupid people out. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It isn’t enough to just ignore these platforms. The right needs to find an effective way to attack these institutions relentlessly like leftists do to the NRA. Until they get unified and do that NOTHING will ever change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Twitter would probably start offering free VPN.

ISTM one would have to be an utter fool to trust a VPN offered by either of the major social media giants.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: Just Say "No"

I never said "Yes" to any of them. Does that count? Smile I just had no use for them before; the few people I keep in touch with can and do just as easily use e-mails, phone calls or - if it came to it - old-fashioned letters. Now I've gone from unnecessary and of no use to active dislike.

Those of you who still feel the need for Facebook, I won't judge you, but I think you should find alternatives.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Updated thread title to reflect this: BREAKING: Parler CEO Responds to Amazon Hosting Ban — Says It’s a ‘Coordinated Attack By Tech Giants to Kill Competition’

I cancelled our Amazon Prime membership this evening. They've been on thin ice with me for a while.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I closed my Twitter account today. I liked to read what James Woods and some other conservatives had to say, but I'm done.

I suggest not just stopping using these apps, if you have an account, close it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have closed my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Twitter is easy, I am just a consumer.

Facebook, it is how I communicate with family and friends so that is a bit tougher. Bit it is deactivated

Amazon, now thst is tough. We already dumped netflix, but now Amazon prime video and Amazon music? That is a bitter pill honestly. Not being able to shop at Amazon, that is a tough one as well.

Back to Facebook, I help organize and run some veteran knife making events and a lot of that is done on Facebook. Real people getting real help. Maybe not now.

I am conflicted. I don't know what to do.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of people utilize FB and Twitter as their primary communication method with family and friends. Really? Why can't you just pick up a phone and call them? Have a photo to share with them - why not email or text it over to them and then call them to talk about it?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
48 cousins. All with families. But yes we do also talk on the phone.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't have twitter because I don't want to give them my phone number. The only thing I have is FB. Y'all deleting your accounts makes no sense to me, you are censoring yourself. If you want to protest don't quit, instead post whatever you feel like, even if they ban you for 12hrs, 24hrs, three days, a week, a month, whatever. Then when the ban is over keep posting what you believe in.

By quitting you are removing your opinion from the town square, which is exactly what 'they' want. Don't aid them in cutting off discussion, don't end your ability to be heard. If you do want to go out, go out fighting, not quitting.

#BlazeOfGlory

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Evidently Apple can remove apps like Parlor from your phone.

Here's how to stop it

https://www.citizenfreepress.c...-app-on-your-iphone/

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
THE EFFORTS TO STOP CONSERVATIVES FROM TALKING, COMPARING NOTES IS WORKING...
..IF THEY STOP COMMUNICATION
IT DESTROYS THE .WE.

STAY ACTIVE ON ALL FRONTS.
USE THEIR SERVICES TO COMMUNICATE.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post