SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20)....
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could this be the start of something big? Ruth Ginsberg...(“Infection” this time 7/14/20).... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that there are only 2 ways a Justice leaves SCOTUS: actual death or resignation. Inability to perform the duty is not a criterion. And there are no procedural avenues to removal (as I understand it).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not exactly....

The Constitution provides that justices "shall hold their offices during good behavior" (unless appointed during a Senate recess).
The term "good behavior" is understood to mean justices may serve for the remainder of their lives, unless they are impeached and convicted by Congress, resign, or retire.
Only one justice has been impeached by the House of Representatives (Samuel Chase, March 1804), but he was acquitted in the Senate (March 1805). Moves to impeach sitting justices have occurred more recently (for example, William O. Douglas was the subject of hearings twice, in 1953 and again in 1970; and Abe Fortas resigned while hearings were being organized in 1969), but they did not reach a vote in the House.
No mechanism exists for removing a justice who is permanently incapacitated by illness or injury, but unable (or unwilling) to resign.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I think that my President should show more of his caring side by making a nice "in person" visit to cheer up the old lady. Bring her a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day. Heh-heh-heh!

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
You guys are crazy and breathed too much of your own fumes. No way anyone could hide the death of a justice for more than a few hours or a day. I'll bet any sum you care to name.

I'll go one further. RBG is a vehicle driven from within by tiny interplanetary beings who are themselves aging and doze off at the joy sticks. Prove me wrong.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that anyone would care what I believe, but if given the opportunity, I would argue that “good behavior” means not only staying out of trouble, but fulfilling the duties and obligations of the position (“behaving”) in a proper manner: I.e., at least showing up and performing the job is the minimum good behavior required by the position.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. (Not the first time, and probably not the last.) Thanks.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Tell many anything the dems have been involved in lately they haven't corrupted.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are crazy and breathed too much of your own fumes. No way anyone could hide the death of a justice for more than a few hours or a day. I'll bet any sum you care to name.
Nah, I don't believe RBG has croaked, but I do believe they (The Dem's and the media) are making a conscience effort to hide her from view so none of us has any real idea what her true condition is. If it had been Justice Thomas who had cancer surgery and was supposedly working from home, you can bet every media establishment on the planet would be camped out trying to get a pic or video of him to broadcast nationwide.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? You think someone is hiding her death? That is some real tinfoil hat stuff. There's too much notoriety around a Supreme Court justice to hide that.

She's not dead.

But odds are she is an incapacitated state.

My mother died from lung cancer and I spent the last few weeks with her.

Odds are that RBG has lost a good deal of weight, most likely below 100 lbs. She is not eating. She is dying. The cancer very well might have spread past her lymph nodes to her brain, it is that quick. There is NO recovery from her condition, given her age and general health presented in the last 12 months. It is not tinfoil shit that "they" are keeping her on life support. Unlike my mother, RBG has unlimited medical support.

"They" don't care about her well being. They only care about The Seat.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But odds are she is an incapacitated state.

Her son said she was up and about walking and working out. She showed up to the musical. She should have no reason not to make an appearance at work. Right?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I don't know why the Dems are so worried Roberts turned out to be one of them so it's a wash.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
The longer they can stall, the better chance that someone else will get to make the pick for her replacement...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I’m ready for Amy Coney Barrett. Roberts needs to be neutralized.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
RBG is a vehicle driven from within by tiny interplanetary beings who are themselves aging and doze off at the joy sticks. Prove me wrong.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of RBG , but If she had her surgery via a thoroscopy ( similar equipment to a laparoscopy )....she will only have a 3 or 4 small , 3/4 inch incisions that need to heal.
If she were younger and not so frail...I would expect that she could be at work by now. Due to her frailty, I can easily imagine that the docs would keep her at home for longer. I can imagine that she will recover.... Now, if she gets chemo as a follow-up to the surgery....all bets are off.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Perhaps she flew to Israel and volteered for the claimed new cancer treatment...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Pure, uncut tinfoil.

As far as I have read, there is still no proof that she is alive, well, or walking around. The media darling would have had 500 pictures taken of her by now if she was in good health.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Isn't the solution as simple as Trump sending a couple of FBI or Secret Service agents to her house and verifying her well-being?

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Bear in mind that there are only 2 ways a Justice leaves SCOTUS: actual death or resignation. Inability to perform the duty is not a criterion. And there are no procedural avenues to removal (as I understand it).

flashguy

One more:

Her fellow Judges could vote to send her on
The Long Walk ... 'to bring the law to the lawless."

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

One more:

Her fellow Judges could vote to send her on
The Long Walk ... 'to bring the law to the lawless."

I nominate Baltimore or Detroit to serve as surrogate Cursed Earth for her Walk.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post