SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I hope our British cousins don't judge us all by the inactions of Broward County's ex-deputy Scot Peterson.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Positively the last one:

quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Short story of some Brits in Iraq. Mahdi Army on receiving end of the pokey bits.

“So he immediately ordered his men to dismount and fix bayonets.”

So, if it had been a vehicle full of US special operators who had no way of turning their SBRs with suppressors into spears, they would have been slaughtered—? And how much extra time did finding and fixing the bayonets under withering fire take as opposed to just shooting the bastards? Roll Eyes

Ridiculous.

And haven’t we been through discussions about how some of these tales about British forces that appear in the semitabloid press are likely to be true?

Another observation from my father:
“They told us that if our bayonet got stuck in someone and it wasn’t possible to pull it back out, to fire a round and the recoil would get it loose. Why in the hell would you be trying to stick an enemy soldier with a bayonet if you still had ammunition to shoot him with‽”

And to stress my point one last time, my request was for information about a post-WWII incident that was resolved successfully by the fact that one side attacked with fixed bayonets, not that some idiot decided to get his name in the hometown paper by telling his men to take their knives to a gunfight.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I just posted the link to the business insider story. I didn't research any more into that story or the event in the Fauklands although there is a link to a more detailed BBC report in the article.

quote:

"So, if it had been a vehicle full of US special operators who had no way of turning their SBRs with suppressors into spears, they would have been slaughtered—? And how much extra time did finding and fixing the bayonets under withering fire take as opposed to just shooting the bastards? Roll Eyes"

Did we read the same article? I didn't see any such assertion and I certainly wasn't making one. I would suspect in the above incident bullets and grenades did much more of the heaving lifting than the fixed bayonets did.

If you are looking for hard fast battle deciding bayonet charges in the twentieth century or later you won't find any, but you know that. The Brits learned of the ineffectiveness of pointy things on the modern battlefield in the Crimea. Modern artillery and the Maxim and it's ilk pretty much put the lid on that type of warfare. Indeed the lid was siding towards the pot by the end of the American Revolution and the American Civil War taught some hard lessons. WWI saw the bayonet pushed aside for clubs and trench knives. But one does come across the occasional small event. Hell as long as there are Jack Churchills in this world, someone will ocassionally be using obsolete tech to kill.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, Sigfreund. You have your post-WWII example, but you decided it was just an idiot who wanted his name in the hometown newspaper.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Nice, Sigfreund. You have your post-WWII example ....

No, I do not.
I asked for an example of an incident that was “resolved successfully by the fact that one side attacked with fixed bayonets,” and nothing in that article (which I did read) remotely suggests that it wasn’t resolved just like countless other modern battles, i.e., with modern firearms—not to mention a tank.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Nice, Sigfreund. You have your post-WWII example ....

No, I do not.
I asked for an example of an incident that was “resolved successfully by the fact that one side attacked with fixed bayonets,” and nothing in that article (which I did read) remotely suggests that it wasn’t resolved just like countless other modern battles, i.e., with modern firearms—not to mention a tank.

Point, counterpoint.

Not sure who's got the edge.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Confusion and thread drift...

Look up Lew Millett and how he won the MoH in Korea.

The whole point of contemporary bayonet training is less about bayonet fighting and more about instilling a particular mindset.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Disgusting. Fucking cowards. The whole country.

Yeah, especially these four.

Joshua Leakey
James Ashworth
Bryan Budd
Johnson Beharry

I can't tell if you're serious.

Ok, fine. The British are only cowards when in their own country.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Having worked in England for a year and a half many years ago, I’d say that their social norms are different than ours. There is more conformity and folks seemed to be surprised by persons acting out of the ordinary. A “rugged individualist” would be less likely to be celebrated there than here, probably because folks would not understand him or her.

That said, I worked with, lived around, and hung out with a lot of folks who were good, honest, and didn’t hesitate to step up when needed.

SIGforum is not a normal place, or a broad cross-section of America. There are more and more front holes around who take no responsibility for their own safety, insist that the police have failed if something bad happens to them, and rush to trash the police for overreacting in the cozy comfort of social media or whatever liberal bastion they are hanging out in discussing some “dindu nuffin” who probably should have been handled with less patience, gentleness, and forebearance than he was.

Look at the assault that the police in Baltimore, Chiraq, etc are under. The UK is a little further along that part. Thank heavens for the election of President Donald J Trump! If the Harpy from Hell had been elected, the country would likely have continued on the trajectory that PDJT’s predecessor engineered.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ok, back to the topic

is this guy still a cop?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That fat cat should've gotten a good beating from his subordinates. A total disgrace to the uniform of the men and women of England. Truly a fucken coward!

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-shooting/ar-AAConWn

MIAMI — The former Florida deputy who failed to confront a gunman during last year's Parkland school massacre was arrested Tuesday on 11 criminal charges related to his actions, prosecutors announced.

Broward State Attorney Mike Satz said in a statement that 56-year-old Scot Peterson faces child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury charges that carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years.

Peterson, then a Broward deputy, was on duty as the school resource officer during the February 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School but never went inside while bullets were flying. Seventeen people died and 17 others were wounded in the attack.

Peterson's bail was set at $102,000, Satz said. Once released, Peterson will be required to wear a GPS monitor and surrender his passport, and will be prohibited from possessing a firearm, the prosecutor said.

Peterson lawyer Joseph DiRuzzo III didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. In the past, he has defended Peterson's conduct as justified under the circumstances.

The charges follow a 14-month investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, according to that agency.

"The FDLE investigation shows former deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others," FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen in an email statement said. "There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives."

Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony said Peterson has been formally terminated, although he announced his retirement shortly after the shooting.

"It's never too late for accountability and justice," Tony said.

Nikolas Cruz , 20, faces the death penalty if convicted of the first-degree murder charges filed in the attack. His lawyers have said Cruz would plead guilty in return for a life sentence, but prosecutors have refused that offer.

Cruz is expected to go on trial in early 2020.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post