SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons Login/Join 
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
In unrelated news, after retiring, he will move to Florida and run for Broward County Sheriff, were he is expected to win in a landslide.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Of course it’s a cultural thing, and cultures change. WWFHD?*

When I was young, teachers would talk about how animals (including humans) reacted to threats. Then it was “fight or flight,” but later it was recognized that there is a third F: freeze. That’s probably as common a reaction as flight, and certainly more common than fight.

Fighting is being socialized out of men in “civilized” cultures, and in my view it isn’t a widespread instinctive reaction even in this country. When I read just a few days ago that it was a mantra that went back decades before my exposure I was reminded of my basic training group’s being asked, “What’s the spirit of the bayonet?” No one even in my father’s generation in WWII really expected for the bayonet to be a meaningful weapon, much less did we Vietnam era soldiers, but the idea was the thing that had to be said and drilled into us: Close with the enemy and kill him.

Today I often feel as though I need to stress to my use of force students and those in active shooter response briefings the need for decisive violence of action when defending oneself. I have sometimes seen people in the latter groups seem to turn a little pale at the thought, but it’s not limited to those who have never been exposed to the idea. American law enforcement responses to Columbine and Parkland were merely the most notorious of the incidents when individual police officers and/or their supervisors froze due to poor training, flawed doctrine, or other reasons rather than charging to the sound of the guns.

And what about all the shooting ranges and even firearms competitions that prohibit the use of targets that look even a little like human beings? LTC Dave Grossman claimed that one of the reasons soldiers in Vietnam fired their rifles more than they did in World War II was because of the adoption of silhouette targets for training rather than traditional bull’s-eyes. So, if gun owners have to limit what shapes of cardboard they can engage, how likely will they be to get involved in defending someone else who’s being attacked?
(Added: As for this guy’s mention of protective equipment, some years ago in my town something similar occurred. A call went out about a man trying to commit suicide with the exhaust of his vehicle. The firefighters on scene wouldn’t enter the then-open garage until they had put on their SBA. The police officer’s response was to run in, grab the guy, and pull him outside. She was later criticized for risking herself to save someone who wanted to kill himself.)

The Wall Street Journal had an article just yesterday about how European attitudes toward terrorism are changing; hopefully some of those changes will trickle down to police in the UK, but such changes usually require the retirement of the old guards before they will ever be effective. I cannot imagine what this man will think of his lack of action in the incident in the coming years, but ultimately what he did/failed to do was not unexpected.

* What would Fairbairn have done?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
"I think anyone who came up against that individual would have faced serious, serious injury, if not death."

There is only one catch a-hole; you signed up to do just that.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Armed or unarmed, you see a brother in a fight you had better jump in to help or turn in your badge and resign.

I am NEVER 'unarmed.' I may not have a firearm, blade, OC, or what have you, but being 'armed' isn't a physical state; it's a state of mind.

Heck, people can do immense damage with their FISTS. To sit there and say "he wasn't armed" is no better than that coward in Florida who hid outside and "established a perimeter."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Did the car not have a tire iron?

If he doesn't now he will later wish he'd done differently.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
He's an administrator. A politician. Worked in a few "Home Counties" forces before coming to the big show but his career has been a string of rocket rides to progressively higher administrative posts.

They exist in every agency on the planet. If they ever truly WERE "cops," they aren't any more.

And echo what Kevin said: If you leave me to fight alone, you need to be in a different ZIP code when I'm discharged from the hospital.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
He's an administrator. A politician. Worked in a few "Home Counties" forces before coming to the big show but his career has been a string of rocket rides to progressively higher administrative posts.

They exist in every agency on the planet. If they ever truly WERE "cops," they aren't any more.

And echo what Kevin said: If you leave me to fight alone, you need to be in a different ZIP code when I'm discharged from the hospital.

Trust me when I say there are plenty of armed police command staff weenies and house cats (an probably a few patrol officers street detectives) here in the US that would do the exact same thing. I have seen plenty freeze like a deer in the headlights many times when they have made the mistake of leaving the office where the greatest danger they face is cold coffee, a nasty paper cut, a stapler that is running amok, or god forbid it, a printer toner cartridge "explosion".

There is a reason street cops have a CHAOS (Chief Has Arrived On Scene) Plan ready.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
But doesn't he look smashingly great?
The Brits sure have a thing for snazzy uniforms.
The 'redcoats' made good targets for our ragtag bunch of American patriots...

[/QUOTE]

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's like that line in Open Range: "You may not know this, but there are things that will gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Won't bother this guy at all.
You see the smile on his face in that picture? That's a genuine, honest "Yeaaaaay, I did it!" smile.

Most men, yeah, you're exactly right. It would gnaw at them to the point where suck-starting a Sig would be a good idea. This guy, not at all.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
he and that deputy from Broward County should hang out

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I think running over the POS repeatedly with my car would be the correct thing to do. Take a lesson from the terrorists.

Yup, he had a two-ton weapon right there. He is a disgrace to his uniform, and for sure will never be allowed to forget this.

Coward.

He's probably never sat in the front seat.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's like that line in Open Range: "You may not know this, but there are things that will gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Now, that was a good movie.

Kevin, my highest respect and thanks for you and every other officer that protects this Country 24-7 and makes it a safer place. That goes to our military also.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Participation medal?

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
But doesn't he look smashingly great?
The Brits sure have a thing for snazzy uniforms.
The 'redcoats' made good targets for our ragtag bunch of American patriots...

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was reminded of my basic training group’s being asked, “What’s the spirit of the bayonet?”

I received my basic/advanced infantry training in 1953, at that time bayonet training was being reemphasized due to experience in Korea where the bayonet was used. (There was also great emphasis placed on firing your M1, many had been found bayoneted in their foxholes by the Chinese with unfired weapons).

As a result I learned that a lot of life's problems can be solved with a vertical butt stroke.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Report This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
He needs every Police Constable in the country to send him a White Feather, each.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't roll down his window and shout rude things. He could have been charged with a hate crime if he did.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Armed or unarmed, you see a brother in a fight you had better jump in to help or turn in your badge and resign.

I am NEVER 'unarmed.' I may not have a firearm, blade, OC, or what have you, but being 'armed' isn't a physical state; it's a state of mind.

Heck, people can do immense damage with their FISTS. To sit there and say "he wasn't armed" is no better than that coward in Florida who hid outside and "established a perimeter."

Just go with the gist of the post.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
[D]ue to experience in Korea where the bayonet was used.

As I recall there was one documented “bayonet charge” in Korea by American forces. I won’t offer my opinion of why that company commander ordered it or whether any enemy soldiers were actually stuck with those heavy spears, but although I understood perfectly well why use of the bayonet was taught during my training in 1965, I would challenge anyone to point to other documented incidents.

My father spent 20 years in the Army starting before Pearl Harbor and came back from the European Theater with four awards of the Purple Heart plus a couple of arrowheads on his campaign ribbons indicating his participation in amphibious landings. His comment about the weapon before I enlisted was, “The only time a bayonet on a rifle is of any use is if you’re out of ammo and the other guy is out of ammo.” And that was from someone who competed in formal marksmanship competitions and preferred the M1903 Springfield over the Garand—so he definitely wasn’t someone who was impressed with firing lots of bullets as fast as possible.

All that being said, if US troops were bayoneted in their foxholes without firing their own weapons it says far more about the training and readiness of those killed than about the value of putting a knife on the end of a rifle loaded with lots and lots of cartridges.

Apology for the thread drift.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes. The very definition of a coward.

Bravery may get you killed, but at least you don't have to live with yourself being a no good coward.

being a no-good coward does not even begin to bother these assholes. Sit and watch an unarmed cop get stabbed to death? Really?

Time somebody pulled the cork and let that island sink into the north sea.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how this guy can live with himself, worse, not realize that all see him as a coward. Why give anyone support or succor by giving him a metal or clear him at an inquest? What good does it do? How does it help except for appease and make it easier the next time? What happened to honor and a bit of courage?

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Report This Post