SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunshine Protection Act-Senate passes, now on to House
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunshine Protection Act-Senate passes, now on to House Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait until business and the population's natural body cycles take over and someone [elected into office and the IQ of a potato] decides we need to move all clocks ahead, again, to increase the amount of sunshine in a day.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just wait till they figure out a way to tax it.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Gosh, will it make our hair shinier, our teeth whiter, our clothes brighter, and fight crabgrass too?!?

Also shines buttons.

I do hope this passes, though. Switching back and forth is silly, and I'd rather have daylight in the evening.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, this is a no brainer. Rarely are decisions this easy. Moving the clocks is stupid with no purpose any longer. Pick the better time, daylight or standard, and go. Easy peasy. Hard to believe it took this long. Tucson, Phoenix, and Indianapolis figured this out years ago.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Daylight savings time should just remain as "standard" time and be done with it.
If schools or any other industry has a problem then they can change their hours of operation to whatever blows up their skirts.
I hate it when it gets dark an hour before I get off work in the winter anyway.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
More importantly, passed by unanimous consent. Come ON!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
How many thousand pages is this bill?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Daylight savings time should just remain as "standard" time and be done with it.
If schools or any other industry has a problem then they can change their hours of operation to whatever blows up their skirts.
I hate it when it gets dark an hour before I get off work in the winter anyway.

Yep, it's a screw up.. should keep standard time... if they go to daylight savings we will have to shift the rotation of the earth 15 degrees. Think about it. the east coast is supposed to be 5 hours behind Greenich mean time.... with daylight savings we are 4.... how am I supposed to figure out exactly where I am using spherical trigonometry (celestial navigation) with this?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Surely they can't screw this up!

Famous last words...
We're talking about people Demonrat Congressional Critters who watched the intro to the movie Idiocracy and thought it was a game plan instead of a dire warning...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
So, making Daylight Savings Time permanent will therefore make it Standard Time by default, until some bonehead decides this still isn't good enough and starts a push for a "New" DST. Roll Eyes

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A link in time

Lots more info at the link too much to post but here's a snippet..

Early adoption in law

Daylight Saving Time has been used in the U.S. and in many European countries since World War I. At that time, in an effort to conserve fuel needed to produce electric power, Germany and Austria took time by the forelock, and began saving daylight at 11:00 p.m. on April 30, 1916, by advancing the hands of the clock one hour until the following October. Other countries immediately adopted this 1916 action: Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Turkey, and Tasmania. Nova Scotia and Manitoba adopted it as well, with Britain following suit three weeks later, on May 21, 1916. In 1917, Australia and Newfoundland began saving daylight.

The plan was not formally adopted in the U.S. until 1918. 'An Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States' was enacted on March 19, 1918. [See law]It both established standard time zones and set summer DST to begin on March 31, 1918. Daylight Saving Time was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. After the War ended, the law proved so unpopular (mostly because people rose earlier and went to bed earlier than people do today) that it was repealed in 1919 with a Congressional override of President Wilson's veto. Daylight Saving Time became a local option, and was continued in a few states, such as Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and in some cities, such as New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

During World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time, called "War Time," from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945. [See law] From 1945 to 1966, there was no federal law regarding Daylight Saving Time, so states and localities were free to choose whether or not to observe Daylight Saving Time and could choose when it began and ended. This understandably caused confusion, especially for the broadcasting industry, as well as for railways, airlines, and bus companies. Because of the different local customs and laws, radio and TV stations and the transportation companies had to publish new schedules every time a state or town began or ended Daylight Saving Time.

On January 4, 1974, President Nixon signed into law the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973. Then, beginning on January 6, 1974, implementing the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act, clocks were set ahead. On October 5, 1974, Congress amended the Act, and Standard Time returned on October 27, 1974. Daylight Saving Time resumed on February 23, 1975 and ended on October 26, 1975.

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I applaud this measure, ...
Perhaps you haven't taken into consideration the impact this is going to have on literally millions-upon-millions of electronic devices throughout the country?

Never mind the confusion it will create.

Every time they muck with DST, every device that "knows" when DST starts and stops has to be updated. A lot of those can't or won't be updated because their manufacturers regard them as "obsolete." Or because the makers are no more. Never mind they're still working well for their owners. Then there are the devices that were never designed to receive updates.

Stopping the whole DST thing entirely would have far less negative impact. Most of the devices I described have the ability to enable/disable DST. DST goes away? Turn it off on the devices.

But this? This is just going to create a disaster.

Which is about what I expect from government: Find the absolutely worst way to do something, then do it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in Australia for 18 years, had daylight savings time one time for a test. Otherwise they banned it.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll repeat what Ryanp225 said... would it not be more prudent to just change the operating hours of schools and businesses during the darker Winter months? There ain't no more sunshine in November through March let's just use what we got.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Pass it. I like the light in the evening. Don’t much care if it’s very light when I’m getting ready for work.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
But this? This is just going to create a disaster.

It will probably affect my old computers in the same way, so I'll have to do something like tell them I'm in a different time zone so the correct time is displayed.

My opinion about the measure is, however, like my opinion about the weather. I can like or dislike the weather without affecting it in the slightest. My wife likes it when it snows because it's been a very dry winter thus far and that increases the wildfire danger this summer. I, however, appreciate not having to shovel as much. But regardless of what we like or don't, the weather will be what it will be and so will daylight saving (not savings) time. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
It's about time.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^I remember that show (damn I'm old). And I counter with...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Since retired, morning light wakes me up, not the clock. But meh, I really don't care much either way. I've been adapting for many years so whatever they decide is fine with me.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
What about the States that don't do daylight saving time? Will they forever be an hour different?

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post