SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunshine Protection Act-Senate passes, now on to House
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunshine Protection Act-Senate passes, now on to House Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Senate PASSES a bill to make daylight savings time permanent - meaning America will never have to change its clocks again if it passes the House

*more at link*

The Senate on Tuesday passed a bill to make daylight savings permanent from November 2023, and will now go to a vote in the House.

The new legislation called The Sunshine Protection Act means that Americans will stop having to change their clocks twice a year in a ritual that was first adopted in 1918.

The bill was led by Democratic Sheldon Whitehouse and his Republican colleague Marco Rubio, who has said the move could reduce crime, childhood obesity and stress.

'It's time for Congress to take up our bipartisan legislation to make Daylight Saving Time permanent and brighten the coldest months with an extra hour of afternoon sun,' Whitehouse wrote on Twitter.

The measure still needs approval from the House of Representatives and the backing of President Joe Biden.

On Sunday, most of the United States resumed Daylight Savings Time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November 2022.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Gosh, will it make our hair shinier, our teeth whiter, our clothes brighter, and fight crabgrass too?!?

Posts: 13288 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the heart-break of psoriasis!!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2003 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That means that we never get back the hour we just gave up last weekend. Damn.

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
oh thank god

PLEASE pass this

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good grief

Let's take a thing that became obsolete a couple decades ago or so and make it permanent.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Av8nShooter:
That means that we never get back the hour we just gave up last weekend. Damn.

Actually, I think you're right...And I'm all for keeping us on daylight savings time.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's about time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
It's about time.
Actually, it's not It is about time zones. The time doesn't change (how could it?), what changes is the time zone you are in, e.g. EST -> EDT -> EST -> EDT etc.

Legislative bodies have always determined a locality's time zone, sometimes for good reasons sometimes for arbitrary ones, but "to reduce childhood obesity?" C'mon man! How stupid do they think we are?

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Time zones aren't about time? Okkkk......

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
It's about time.
Actually, it's not It is about time zones. The time doesn't change (how could it?), what changes is the time zone you are in, e.g. EST -> EDT -> EST -> EDT etc.

Legislative bodies have always determined a locality's time zone, sometimes for good reasons sometimes for arbitrary ones, but "to reduce childhood obesity?" C'mon man! How stupid do they think we are?

nah - it's about time

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a guy who has lived where they don't do Daylight savings for the last 18 years, I love it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one wondering, why don't they just do away with Daylight Time and stick with Standard times?

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Maybe they don't like Daylight Wasting Time. I don't.

Hopefully they will do something with it other than just political posturing for the mid-terms.

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Am I the only one wondering, why don't they just do away with Daylight Time and stick with Standard times?

If you lived up here, you wouldn't wonder! It stinks getting dark at 1630 hours in the dead of winter...and twilight at 1500 hours!!

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Why not go half way and make everyone happy. Since we're on daylight time just set all the clocks back 1/2 hour and leave it there. What a genius I am, huh?

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The same thing as permanent daylight saving time could be accomplished by simply changing habits. Rather than the (traditional) 9:00 to 5:00 workday, work from 8:00 to 4:00, and change everything else similarly. That, however, would discombobulate most people far worse that adjusting the clocks to start and get off an hour earlier in reference to the sun.

I applaud this measure, but may miss the biyearly entertainment I used to get from the bitching every time the clocks had to be change.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wow, Congress is actually doing something I wholeheartedly support!

I have long said that I don't care if they choose Standard Time or DST, just choose one or the other and QUIT MESSING WITH THE CLOCKS!!!

Now if the House will just pass this and be done with it! Surely they can't screw this up!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

Nope. I'm with you here.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Now if the House will just pass this and be done with it! Surely they can't screw this up!

When dealing with demonrats aka dim-of-wits, you just never know. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely they can't screw this up!

Famous last words...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38698 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post