SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
It felt weird not to give this season. We would always give our kids a dollar each, go drop it in. We would give hundreds of dollars in a Christmas season. Showing our kids the importance of giving to others. It was an easy lesson. This really bothered me. I didn't give them a cent this year and doubt I will ever again.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This was good news to me. I got to ignore them with purpose this years as opposed to my normal ignoring them.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Listening to local radio, I just heard a special message from a leader of the Salvation Army.

Paraphrasing here, but the gist of it was that Salvation Army believes in the Bible and the mission of helping others, that they aren't requesting an apology, but they do apologise if there was any confusion caused by them, and there are others who need their help right now.

Assuming this spot will be replayed, I'll try to catch it again, and if I catch any more details I'll edit this post to include them.

If the spot is playing on a large Denver radio station, it's likely it is being played in other major markets as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of you catch it on your local stations.

It would be interesting to know if this was a paid spot by the SA (like a paid commercial), or if this spot qualifies as a Public Service Announcement (PSA) that gets approved by the government's Ad Council and gets free air time.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yep, heard it earlier while in the car.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Classic CYA.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just came here to say I heard this SA mea culpa ad today on the local radio broadcast of the guy filling in for Hannity this week. Man they are really backpedaling now. Sorry bro. It’s a little too late. Maybe someone should actually show him the .pdf of the offensive flyers that were on their website. I don’t listen to commie radio or TV so I can’t say if this ad was on those outlets but it’s telling they are at least begging the right leaning people in Hannity’s audience to forgive and cough up $$ since they are certainly down in donations by a magnificent percentage. And let’s be real, I will posit that right leaning and/or Christian folks are their donation base.

Here’s a video of the same ad https://m.youtube.com/watch?ti...3A&feature=emb_title
They can tap dance around this all they want but Obviously somebody or several somebody’s green lit the original documents that were the cause of this.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paraphrasing here, but the gist of it was that Salvation Army believes in the Bible and the mission of helping others, that they aren't requesting an apology, but they do apologise if there was any confusion caused by them, and there are others who need their help right now.

Shorter: "Please ignore everything we've done and gib $$$. We promise we won't make the mistake of letting it go public again."

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t care much about the Salvation Army one way or another, but I gather that they have or had a good reputation. Unfortunately for them, though, is something we used to hear in the Army: One ah shit nullifies any number of attaboys.

What so many people have difficulty understanding is there are right ways and wrong ways to apologize if one is sincere. The caveat “If I …” is no real apology. What it says is, “I don’t know why I need to apologize, but if you say I do, here’s my best effort.” I.e., “I’ll apologize because you’re making a fuss, but I don’t really think it’s necessary.”
Okay, I get it: You don’t really mean it, so don’t bother.

“I apologize for causing confusion,” is another not-apology when there was no confusion caused because the intent of your statement was obvious. What people are objecting to is what you said, not because they were confused by what you said. Moreover, suggesting that you confused me is a way of deflecting blame for the matter onto me: What’s implied by such a statement is that if I were smarter or more perceptive, I wouldn’t have been confused and therefore it’s my own fault for being offended.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I can summarize it shorter for them:

AMFYOYO!

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
At least the ad firmly answers siegfreund’s earlier query about the reason for their decreased receipts. They wouldn’t be putting out this spot if it were simply a COVID downturn.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I heard their "sorry 'but that" ad this morning on the country music station in Little Rock.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I heard their "sorry 'but that" ad this morning on the country music station in Little Rock.
I'd like to hear that. Does anyone have a link?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Para, the SA radio ad that I heard was the same one that ElToro posted the YouTube link to above.

Here is the same link embedded.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ti...3A&feature=emb_title

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
At least the ad firmly answers siegfreund’s earlier query about the reason for their decreased receipts. They wouldn’t be putting out this spot if it were simply a COVID downturn.

No one with an IQ above room temp ever believed it was due to COVID. If it was, they would not have pulled down their manifesto from the website soon after.

This was always about their politics and the public just saying no.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Para, the SA radio ad that I heard was the same one that ElToro posted the YouTube link to above.
Thanks.

Well, I tell ya, Commissioner, do this: eliminate the "department of diversity" or whatever it's called, and FIRE every single person involved with the creation of all this racist nonsense. If you do that, I might someday consider donating to the Salvation Army once again.

But, since you're not going to do these things, you can go fish.

Oh, and one more thing- don't think for a single second that invoking the name of Jesus is going to get you out of this mess. You have the authority to excise the CANCER in your organization and Jesus does not work in the Salvation Army's HR department, so, it's on you.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Conservative radio host Dr. Dennis Prager has discussed this story several times on his show.

Over the years he was a regular fund raiser for the Salvation Army, and had received an award from them recognizing him as their largest most successful fund raiser, but he refuses to promote their organization or raise additional funds until they issue a sincere apology and fire those responsible for this racist policy. I haven't heard him comment on this latest apology issued by the SA Commissioner, though.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"...racism is totally incompatible with Christianity."

Well, then, forgive me, Commisioner, why in the FUCK did you allow racism to infect your organization? You're in command, and command takes responsibility for all decisions. FIX this mess by eliminating that RACIST department, and FIRING every last RACIST who had a hand in this shameful episode.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Asshole should go into politics. Would fit right in. They will continue to tap dance, invoking Jesus and Christianity trying to fool people, but will never come out and sincerely apologize for their fuck-up.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Go Para! I like the way you think!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"...racism is totally incompatible with Christianity."

Well, then, forgive me, Commisioner, why in the FUCK did you allow racism to infect your organization? You're in command, and command takes responsibility for all decisions. FIX this mess by eliminating that RACIST department, and FIRING every last RACIST who had a hand in this shameful episode.

And how about replacing all the funds "diverted" (read "stolen from needy people") to this department? I for one know I never gave to SA so they could run a diveristy department.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post