SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a valid passport?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a valid passport? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I do not, but if you think there is any chance you want to go overseas, start now. The wait is forever.

Perhaps things have changed in the last three years or so, but my wife and I renewed our passports a few years back and it was painless and took 45 minutes at the local (Southlake TX) office. Filled out some paper work before hand, had our expired passports on hand with new pictures. I don't know if first time applicants have a harder time though.

As to why have a passport, it's the globally accepted form of ID. We don't plan on international travel, but you never know when that might come up... like one of our grandkids getting married in Jamaica or such and for some odd reason we decide to go.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that Canada is a "foreign country" and a passport is required to go there (and to return). Passports aren't only useful for trip abroad (overseas)--also necessary to visit Mexico (although I have no desire to do that).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The cruise line required it for identification.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You now need a passport to travel to the state of Hawaii?

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Some states,(Illinois) do not require a birth certificate to get a driver's license. Those licenses are not recognized by many entities. You may need a (real ID). We had to take a lot of paperwork including our birth certificates to the DMV to get a special license (real id).

My wife had friends who could not get on a military base for their grandson's graduation from basic training with an Illinois driver's license. DOD is very strict about such things.

quote:
What is all this "Real ID" stuff? I have real ID. I have a valid driver's license and a birth certificate showing I was born in the United States.
quote:
Global Entry
What in the world is that?

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
We don't plan on international travel, but you never know when that might come up... like one of our grandkids getting married in Jamaica or such and for some odd reason we decide to go.

My grandfather always said to have a valid passport at the ready, you never know when an opportunity may arise and not having that little booklet available, could be the single-point of failure in not being able to go.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Nope, won't be getting one anytime soon either.

I have no desire to travel during all this mess

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Nope. Can't afford international travel, once I can, I'll get a new one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Negative. I do not plan on leaving the country again. I have done my traveling.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
That is sad, unless you are 100 years old and feeble. There is so much around the World that is different and beautiful that one could never experience all that exists. I will travel until I cannot do it any more.

And, of course, there is much here in the USA to see that one can travel to new experiences even without a passport.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You didn't ask the man where he's been or what he's done. You're just certain that not wanting to screw with travel to places where everyone hates us is "sad".

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used to love to travel. But air travel has become such a miserable experience, and the world so much less civilized than it was back when I used to love to travel, that I have no interest in it any longer.

Even in my own country, a lot of which I've yet to have experienced in person, and even more of which my wife has never seen. I'm now at the point that, if I can't drive there or can't be armed once I'm there, I'm disinclined to go there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
You now need a passport to travel to the state of Hawaii?

No. Cruise lines seem to require it, but not if you go by air or your own boat.

I'm going in a few weeks with nothing but a State Driver's License.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I should have clarified. I am done traveling overseas. I have seen a lot. But there is so much of the USA that I have not seen.

I am not 100. And I am not feeble, yet!

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
That is sad, unless you are 100 years old and feeble. There is so much around the World that is different and beautiful that one could never experience all that exists. I will travel until I cannot do it any more.

And, of course, there is much here in the USA to see that one can travel to new experiences even without a passport.

flashguy

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my current passport in 2017 after being robbed in Italy. Was a real pain in the rear. Always used it for travel (real ID). Like previous post, I have no desire to travel by air for now. Blessed to have traveled and lived all over the world for last 20 years.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have clarified. I am done traveling overseas. I have seen a lot. But there is so much of the USA that I have not seen.

I am not 100. And I am not feeble, yet!

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy
Thank you for the clarification. I apologize for making an unwarranted assumption. My bad.

flashguy

posted Hide Post
Haven't been out of the country since 1986 (our honeymoon) but keep a current one in case I have the urge (fat chance) to travel.

I've become a homebody and like it right here.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Yes, love to travel. Very picky about where I go though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Yup have mine on me now from seat 7L on United flight above the Pacific Ocean in route to Tokyo.

Would that be flight 837, by any chance? Taken that route many times from SEA to NRT en route to SPO.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes. Mine is still valid.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two US passports, and use them daily. I carry both, and if a visa is needed that requires sending one passport out, it enables having the other one with me.

I have global entry, and use that regularly. There are places, however, when its faster to bypass the global entry kiosk, and I've noticed that a number of the kiosks don't read fingerprints well.

I don't know that "real ID" makes any difference, but my driver license meets those requirements.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post