Do you have a valid passport?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7380010584

September 13, 2021, 07:03 PM
NavyGuy
Do you have a valid passport?
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I do not, but if you think there is any chance you want to go overseas, start now. The wait is forever.

Perhaps things have changed in the last three years or so, but my wife and I renewed our passports a few years back and it was painless and took 45 minutes at the local (Southlake TX) office. Filled out some paper work before hand, had our expired passports on hand with new pictures. I don't know if first time applicants have a harder time though.

As to why have a passport, it's the globally accepted form of ID. We don't plan on international travel, but you never know when that might come up... like one of our grandkids getting married in Jamaica or such and for some odd reason we decide to go.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
September 13, 2021, 09:06 PM
flashguy
Don't forget that Canada is a "foreign country" and a passport is required to go there (and to return). Passports aren't only useful for trip abroad (overseas)--also necessary to visit Mexico (although I have no desire to do that).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 13, 2021, 09:32 PM
maxwayne
The cruise line required it for identification.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You now need a passport to travel to the state of Hawaii?

September 13, 2021, 09:38 PM
maxwayne
Some states,(Illinois) do not require a birth certificate to get a driver's license. Those licenses are not recognized by many entities. You may need a (real ID). We had to take a lot of paperwork including our birth certificates to the DMV to get a special license (real id).

My wife had friends who could not get on a military base for their grandson's graduation from basic training with an Illinois driver's license. DOD is very strict about such things.

quote:
What is all this "Real ID" stuff? I have real ID. I have a valid driver's license and a birth certificate showing I was born in the United States.
quote:
Global Entry
What in the world is that?

September 14, 2021, 12:08 AM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
We don't plan on international travel, but you never know when that might come up... like one of our grandkids getting married in Jamaica or such and for some odd reason we decide to go.

My grandfather always said to have a valid passport at the ready, you never know when an opportunity may arise and not having that little booklet available, could be the single-point of failure in not being able to go.
September 14, 2021, 11:16 AM
OttoSig
Nope, won't be getting one anytime soon either.

I have no desire to travel during all this mess

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
September 14, 2021, 11:18 AM
Skins2881
Nope. Can't afford international travel, once I can, I'll get a new one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
September 14, 2021, 12:51 PM
Ironmike57
Negative. I do not plan on leaving the country again. I have done my traveling.
September 14, 2021, 01:23 PM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
That is sad, unless you are 100 years old and feeble. There is so much around the World that is different and beautiful that one could never experience all that exists. I will travel until I cannot do it any more.

And, of course, there is much here in the USA to see that one can travel to new experiences even without a passport.

flashguy

September 14, 2021, 01:25 PM
parabellum
You didn't ask the man where he's been or what he's done. You're just certain that not wanting to screw with travel to places where everyone hates us is "sad".
September 14, 2021, 01:36 PM
ensigmatic
I used to love to travel. But air travel has become such a miserable experience, and the world so much less civilized than it was back when I used to love to travel, that I have no interest in it any longer.

Even in my own country, a lot of which I've yet to have experienced in person, and even more of which my wife has never seen. I'm now at the point that, if I can't drive there or can't be armed once I'm there, I'm disinclined to go there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 14, 2021, 01:36 PM
Flash-LB
quote:
You now need a passport to travel to the state of Hawaii?

No. Cruise lines seem to require it, but not if you go by air or your own boat.

I'm going in a few weeks with nothing but a State Driver's License.
September 14, 2021, 02:54 PM
Ironmike57
I should have clarified. I am done traveling overseas. I have seen a lot. But there is so much of the USA that I have not seen.

I am not 100. And I am not feeble, yet!

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
That is sad, unless you are 100 years old and feeble. There is so much around the World that is different and beautiful that one could never experience all that exists. I will travel until I cannot do it any more.

And, of course, there is much here in the USA to see that one can travel to new experiences even without a passport.

flashguy

September 14, 2021, 03:01 PM
BKile
Got my current passport in 2017 after being robbed in Italy. Was a real pain in the rear. Always used it for travel (real ID). Like previous post, I have no desire to travel by air for now. Blessed to have traveled and lived all over the world for last 20 years.

Semper Fidelis
September 14, 2021, 03:07 PM
flashguy
quote:
I should have clarified. I am done traveling overseas. I have seen a lot. But there is so much of the USA that I have not seen.

I am not 100. And I am not feeble, yet!

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy
Thank you for the clarification. I apologize for making an unwarranted assumption. My bad.

flashguy

September 14, 2021, 03:12 PM
straightshooter1
Haven't been out of the country since 1986 (our honeymoon) but keep a current one in case I have the urge (fat chance) to travel.

I've become a homebody and like it right here.

Bob
September 14, 2021, 03:27 PM
dave7378
Yes, love to travel. Very picky about where I go though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
September 14, 2021, 03:37 PM
benny6
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Yup have mine on me now from seat 7L on United flight above the Pacific Ocean in route to Tokyo.

Would that be flight 837, by any chance? Taken that route many times from SEA to NRT en route to SPO.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
September 15, 2021, 04:24 AM
46and2
Yes. Mine is still valid.
September 15, 2021, 06:33 AM
sns3guppy
I have two US passports, and use them daily. I carry both, and if a visa is needed that requires sending one passport out, it enables having the other one with me.

I have global entry, and use that regularly. There are places, however, when its faster to bypass the global entry kiosk, and I've noticed that a number of the kiosks don't read fingerprints well.

I don't know that "real ID" makes any difference, but my driver license meets those requirements.