SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It seems like it's just general shortages of everything at the grocery store. My wife has gotten pretty good at working around it, but there have been a lot of empty shelves lately.

I went to Wal-Mart the other day to get lightbulbs for my truck. Just empty racks for the ones I needed, and of course they were out of my size of wiper blades, too. But to be fair, Wal-Mart has always sucked about stocking stuff around here. I don't know why I even bother going in there. I tell myself if I go there, I won't have to go to 3 other stores to get my shopping done, but then they are always out of stock on at least one of the things I need, so I end up having to run around anyway...and I had to go into Wal-Mart Frown.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The Cat Food aisle remains post-apocalyptic barren wasteland... Roll Eyes

This 'might' be due to the fact that Mars, a VERY Large pet food producer is located in Canada, where the COVID insanity is truly off the charts, requiring truck drivers to be vaccinated, while ALONE in their trucks all day! Roll Eyes Among other production/supply chain issues, this CANNOT be excused by any .gov politician/cabinet secretary/agency as being a result of increased demand due to the 'unprecedented' growth in the economy! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I heard the cream cheese shortage is due to a FOIL SHORTAGE, not a cream cheese shortage. I guess these production facilities cannot easily adapt to an alternative? I know when I worked in professional bakeries even the cream cheese they used came wrapped in foil, just in 5 pound blocks.

Seems strange that in all these years there hasn't been an alternative developed. Lets face it the cream cheese always sticks to the foil as it is, so not like it was some great packaging scheme to begin with. Why not tubs like ricotta; maybe a squeezable stick?

They do sell it in tubs.

And they use foil to seal the tubs, under the plastic lids.

Fortunately, I have enough tin foil to make a hat. To protect my precious bodily fluids. Wink

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

We've noticed the same thing here. No Purina Complete at all anywhere. Of coarse it's the one that our cats like best.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Grocery wise:

Original Special K cereal. Other flavors are usually available go figure.

Kellogg workers were on strike for 3 months and just recently got back to work, so that should help.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This week, frozen potato products aka french fries, the whole section from high end eco friendly no GMO to good ol Publix bag o fires, empty, and Onion Rings too.

On a plus side, oyster crackers were back, been gone since Thanksgiving....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

We've noticed the same thing here. No Perina Complete at all anywhere. Of coarse it's the one that our cats like best.

Jim

Curiously, when you can find cat food on the shelf, Purina brand Cat Food, specifically Fancy Feast, is some of the most widely available here in NH. Wink

ETA - I've resorted to buying multi-flavor mix packs of other brands (when available) that, based on ingredients/nutritional info seem close to what our two rescues normally eat as I feel I need to identify options! I don't want to warehouse cat food, but I'm trying to keep a 2-3 week supply (maybe a month?) on hand, just in case!

Dry Cat Food, so far seems to be much more available, as we've seen no interruptions and are still getting that delivered from Amazon on 'Subscribe & Save' shipments.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We've noticed the same thing here. No Purina Complete at all anywhere. Of coarse it's the one that our cats like best.

Jim

Curiously, when you can find cat food on the shelf, Purina brand Cat Food, specifically Fancy Feast, is some of the most widely available here in NH. Wink

That would make a great karma. Our cats would like a chance at Purina Complete. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
2022 is shaping up to be "The Year of Doing Without."

If you've been thinking to yourself "I need to lose a few pounds," now's the time. Do without because you need to do without, not because you have to do without.

During WWII, there were shortages of many things because of the war- gasoline, rubber, sugar, beef and many other things. The difference between then and now is that at the time America entered WWII, it had been in a severe economic depression for more than a decade, and most people were used to making do with little. But now, we have been for decades fat and happy and awash in anything and everything we've wanted and most of us were making enough money to have something called "disposable income."

My maternal grandmother grew up in East Texas, and she said that during the depression, my great-grandmother would take a bit of cornbread and smear a little bacon grease and salt on one side of it and send my grandmother and her sister off to school, and that was all they had to eat until suppertime. Never did I sit down at my grandmother's table for a meal without her saying grace, thanking God for the food on the table.

I'm not an economist, nor am I an authority on importing goods, or manufacturing or transportation or anything which may be involved in the creation of these shortages we are experiencing. I can say with confidence, though, that what we are now experiencing should have been mostly avoidable. If our leaders and the people of this country had exhibited courage instead of fear, most of these shortages would not exist.

Several times lately, I have said that these shortages are the friends of those Americans who love their country. The only way to get most people to wake from their trance is for them to be inconvenienced directly. When they go to the grocery store, or try to buy automobile tires or kitchen appliances or a thousand other things, these people are seeing the result of the stupidity of bureaucrats and of the lies told to us by corrupt corporate media and the Federal government.

One of two things will happen by the middle of this year- either the people who call the shots will have gotten off of their asses and made real efforts to alleviate these shortages, or these shortages will become substantially worse. If it's the latter, expect panic and rationing. Those of you who know me know that I am not prone to exaggeration. I'm as serious as I can be.

My advice is to hedge your bet. Stock up on your groceries, especially things which can be frozen or which have a long shelf life. Buy rice and dried or can beans, salt, sugar, cooking oil, peanut butter, crackers, dried and canned fruits, et cetera. You get the idea.

Learn to do without for now, so that we won't have to deal with this crap next year, and pray that this mounting crisis manages to get through the concrete craniums of those who put in office the most inept and damaging president and vice president this nation has ever seen.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This was my local Giant supermarket yesterday. Yes, they actually took containers of cheese proofs, pretzels and bottles of sparkling cider and put them on a shelf one deep to disguise their empty shelves in that aisle. #BareShelvesBiden

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Para you should be allowed to nail a copy of your last post to the forehead of everyone with their heads in the sand. I’ve been saying similar since early summer last year. I’ve encouraged everyone to grow at least a little something and buy an extra couple of canned goods each week. The panic when the coddled have to go without will be legendary.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Local Walmart Thursday had no chicken and for some strange reason, no green bell peppers. The Kroger right down the street was the same way.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Local Walmart Thursday had no chicken and for some strange reason, no green bell peppers. The Kroger right down the street was the same way.

My wife found the exact same thing when she went shopping on Monday.

Re: Para's comments: The idiots "running" the show don't seem to understand the consequences of their inaction.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Think shortages are bad now, wait and see how things turn out if Ukraine/Russia go hot. All sorts of international disruption and turmoil, God I hope not. Wise words from Para.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Report This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
My problem with getting Cat Food is the local Petco that stocks the Orijen food that they eat.

Supposedly they only have 2 employees. So about 30 to 40% of the shelfs / hooks are empty, and 5 pallets of unstocked items blocking the aisles.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Report This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
If retailers continue to stock out and things get "hot" with Russia and/or China, equities will drastically fall and family savings will be quickly depleted. The retirees will be the hardest hit.

Many a baby-boomer belong to the Dipshit National Commie party... and are retiring in droves. Perhaps a significant drop in their quality of life will make them reconsider their stupidity at the polls.

Getting back to local supply issues, certain Nabisco crackers and Kashi cereals are hard to come by.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Report This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Lemon line Gatorade 2

Gatorade makes two “diet” drinks…..G2 and Zero

I gave up Mountain Dew and starting swimming at least an hour 5 days a week back in August. The results are predictable. I’ve lost almost 80 pounds

And lemon-lime G2 really helped me do it

But I cannot find it anywhere. Publix, Harris teeter, Safeway, Walmart, target, giant, all groceries stores in my area are out of it. Hell, they’re out of all flavors of G2, most regular flavors, and even the zero stuff

It’s definitely a first world problem. But I’d like my damn lime G2, Brandon.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I really haven't noticed a shortage of anything except for the initial covid first few months. Beef is crazy high now but always see it for sale at multiple grocery stores in the area. We logged over 12 million tourists last season and shelves were low at times on Fridays/Saturdays but didn't see anything much out of the ordinary...plenty of food on the shelves anyway.
This is one of the reasons that our tourism is off the charts the last 2 years and it started right at the covid first appearance.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Report This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I really haven't noticed a shortage of anything except for the initial covid first few months. Beef is crazy high now but always see it for sale at multiple grocery stores in the area. We logged over 12 million tourists last season and shelves were low at times on Fridays/Saturdays but didn't see anything much out of the ordinary...plenty of food on the shelves anyway.
This is one of the reasons that our tourism is off the charts the last 2 years and it started right at the covid first appearance.

Pretty much what I'm seeing around here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just use Chewy.com
Jim

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post