SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For all military folks (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, CG, NG, Reserve) past and present, I have a couple of AR-15s for you. **WINNERS in 1st post**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all military folks (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, CG, NG, Reserve) past and present, I have a couple of AR-15s for you. **WINNERS in 1st post** Login/Join 
Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
Ohio Air Guard for 8 years. Two tours, Afghanistan in 2010 and Iraq in 2006-07.

If I win I'll donate the value of the rifle to Jared Allen's Homes for Wounded Warriors. A very worthy charity indeed.

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
U.S.Navy 1985-1997

Thanks for the VERY generous karma.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Army here: 67-69 active, mostly at Ft. Ord plus 4 years reserve. Nothing exciting on my end but my father was a radio/gunner on a B-17 in the European theater during WWII and his brother, my Uncle was a navigator on a B-26 in the Pacific theater. Also my brother was a Marine and was at Khe Sanh during the siege in Vietnam. All came home unscathed.

Leave my name off the list for this very generous karma. I don't get out and shoot the AR I already have very often so I really don't need another one.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Father served in the navy in WW II and a little post war, he was at Bikini Atoll during at least one of the A-bomb tests, a couple of distant cousins were in the Bataan Death March, an uncle was in the Merchant Marine (not military, I know, however they got shot at and couldn’t return fire).

I forgot to mention that my grandfather also served, he didn’t cross the border but he was with the troops involved in the Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa. He was on a train heading for the east coast when the armistice was signed. I have some of his things, maybe I’ll have to get some pics.

Here are the photos that I took;

My father, when he was in the Navy.

My grandfather (he is on the left) with a friend while down on the border. On the left side of the picture he wrote "Ain't I cute".

He rose to the rank of Lieutenant, this is his visor cap.

Some of his collar devices and a personally purchased medal.

Across the top it says 'U.S. ARMY', below that it says 'IN MEMORY OF MY ARMY LIFE ON THE MEXICAN BORDER', on the back of the medal are listed important dates, one of which is 'The death of Capt. Boyd June 21'.

While retrieving my grandfathers things I came across this;

apparently somebody in the family was in the cavalry, don't have any idea who.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clubleaf206,

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1968-1970; all at Ft. Sill, OK. Kindly enter me in this most gracious karma!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
US Navy 1971-1975. Two DLG's 8 & 32
Cruised all over the Caribbean and Mediterranean.
Thanks for your generous Karma

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
What an incredibly generous Karma!!!

I am a Marine veteran. My wife is a veteran of the Army Nurse Corps, and our oldest son is a veteran of the Navy. If our other two boys join the Air Force (likely) and the Coast Guard, we will have all the services covered.

Thank you for a shot at this incredible karma!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
I joined the New Mexico National Guard in 1956. I burned up a lot of surplus WW II .50 Caliber ammo at Oro Grande firing range.

Thanks for your generous Karma.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Very generous!!!!

I went in the army at 17, in 1955. Did 11 years active, got out in 1955 (E6) after spending 9 years on the E/W German border watching them watch us. Did virtually all my service in the 3AD, with the exception of 1 year advisory duty in Iran.

Please include me in your karma.

Elk

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generosity like no other. I did not serve but my stepfather did in Viet-Nam and Desert Storm. My favorite uncle was in WW2.

If I win however, I'll give this to my cousin's husband who was in Iraq. A story I remember him telling me was that they were in some building with a courtyard and there was a motorcycle parked there. He and others were tasked to make sure it wasn't a bomb and when they took a side cover off, a cellphone bomb fell out. He said that someone had tried calling it (I don't remember exactly) something like 75 times- trying to set it off.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
How generous! Please include me.

Active duty enlisted USCG 1975-1979. Did all 4 years at USCG HQ in DC, as an architectural draftsman then spec writer in the Civil Engineering Division, designing and building USCG shore facilities like barracks, training buildings, search-and-rescue stations, etc.

No great stories, but I did once fly with the Commandant from DC to Governors Island NY on his Falcoln jet.

Stayed with them as a civilian till 1990, then went on to other government jobs, all in DC, then retired in Jan 2013 and now live near Charlotte.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I recently found my birthmother as i posted a while back. Her current husband and my half-brother are both retired Air Force. Since ive been brought into the family circle, my gun hobby has been as well. We have had several cook outs and get togethers since we found one another, and my kids love their "new" grandparents!

My half brother CJ was very recently honorably discharged for medical reasons, and his dad Ken spent many years in the AF. I love listening to them talk about their service and the stories they have, talking about planes and guns. Im mostly pretty lost on the technical side of planes but seeing the two of them talk is really cool.

I showed Ken and CJ my small gun collection the other day and he started asking about AR15s and various other rifles - we are planning a time to go out to the desert and shoot sometime soon, but they dont own any guns at the moment.

Thank you for your generosity and, if its acceptable, please do include CJ and Ken in the Karma!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buckeye1
posted Hide Post
I'm in.
USN 52/56, USNR 56/60
Bother USN, Brother USMC, Brother USA
Uncle WWII New Caladonia/Philippines now 93 years old
Uncle WWII
Grandfather SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR
Thank so much for the chance.
Buckeye1

Posts: 51 | Location: Phoenix Az. | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I'd like to offer my humble entry. I'm a Cold War Veteran from the 101st Airborne 1/327th Infantry Regiment B Co. I entered the Army Reserves between my junior and senior year in high school attached to the 802nd Ordnance Co. then switched to full time after my senior year. I had one station unit training OSUT at Ft Benning, Ga. and attended Basic training, Infantry School, and Airborne School there at Benning. There was a plane crash in Gander Newfoundland that killed a bunch from the 101st and I was switched from 82nd Airborne bound to 101st. As soon as I arrived at my permanent unit we left for Jungle Operations Training Center in the jungles of Panama Central America. My favorite training ever by the way. Our first chow there served fresh lobster. If you ever watch James Bond Quantum Of Solace, the boat chase seen takes place in front of the barracks of Ft Sherman Panama. Switched to 11C to be a 60mm Mortarman on the M224 with OJT and became gunner after a perfect score exam. Spent a lot of time in Huey's and still have a strong affection for those birds.

My father served in Kosovo as Civpol which doesn't officially meet the specs for purposes of this karma but thought I'd share. I have three uncles that served during Vietnam, two in country and one in Germany during. Three more uncles served after Vietnam in the Air Force and the Army. My grandfather served in WWII and fought in 2 campaigns as an armored infantryman during 1945 before and in the area of the Battle of the Bulge. Two of his brothers also served there and then but in different units and one died there just before the Bulge near Luxembourg. He's buried there in the National Cemetery in Luxembourg.

My grandfather was awarded several medals, one was the Bronze Star. I recently learned about the Bronze Star while collecting paperwork for genealogy. None of the family knew about the Bronze Star and we aren't sure he even knew he was awarded the Bronze Star. It was not listed on the DD214 he had in his possession.

I had ancestors who fought in the Civil War on different sides, a direct ancestor that fought in the War of 1812 and survived, and two who fought in the Revolutionary War which allowed me to join Sons Of The American Revolution. Ones of those was Nathaniel McCarroll. I'll post a few pictures when I get to a laptop. Thanks for the generous offering.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What a great Karma. Please do not enter me as I never served in the Armed Forces.

On my dad's side, he served in WWII, started in Signal Corps and was later attached to the 10th Armored. Last assignment was Bastogne. One uncle was on a Destroyer in the Atlantic. He later was with Detroit Police from 1949-1952. Another uncle also in the Navy but I do not know where he was assigned, all three have passed.

My mother's side, two of my great grandmother's brothers served, both in WWI. I knew of John's military service, but Joe's came as a surprise to me as I found his photo on a Wisconsin veteran's website with dates of service, he mustered out in 1920. One uncle, mother's brother was in the Merchant Marines late in the war.

F-I-L was also WWII, AAF assigned to Alaska. Kind of shy on information, he never spoke of it either.

One cousin was Army, Cold War era. Another cousin was Vietnam, 1964-1965.

No military service earlier than WWI on my mother's side, they didn't come to the U.S. until the late 1880's. Father's side, they didn't come over here until about 1913.

Mentioning this in honor of their service.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8105 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please add me, former USMC infantry, 83'-87'. If I were to win I would pass it to my Son, who just graduated Army basic and is currently at Fort Lee, Va, in school for the Michigan Army National Guards. He will come home, attend college for criminal justice (law enforcement career), and take the ROTC classes to possibly become an officer. Thank You for everything you do and thanks for the chance.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the opportunity, at this generous Karma.

I was a U.S. Army Infantry officer, 1989-2007. Every male in my known family, has served this country in the armed forces. Again, thank you for the chance.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Amazing Generosity - US Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate on USS Truxton DLGN-35.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Once again you amaze with the karma!

Third generation Air Force pilot but please do not include me - there are many more worthy people than me that could use that rifle.

As for stories, have you seen Narcos on Netflix? That was pretty much my life on the Air Force side as my first assignment down in Panama. I have spent many nights in the Zona Rosa of Bogotá.

I also flew into jungle strips carved out of nothing in Peru and Colombia to drop off or pick up people who could get the job done.

All in the mighty C-27A!

I found this pic on Google - I took it and posted it years ago so I guess that is good!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
For all those who will know, yes, we taxied right up to the edge of the tarmac to park. When we left the next time we backed out using reverse on the props. Every time, because half of the places we landed required a 3-point turn at the end of a runway so if you could not back up then you were stuck.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post