SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do locals call tourists in your town?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do locals call tourists in your town? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
It's summer tourist season again and that means the roads are bumper to bumper with tourists coming from North Jersey, New York City, and PA. While the majority are good people, some low lives seem to not know that their garbage goes into a garbage can and not throw out of the car window. Some just must have never heard of a bathroom and just piss alongside a building or alongside their car. I live close to the ocean but won't see it until September when the tourists leave, just not worth the aggravation.

In my area tourists are called:

A Benny- Called that from coming from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York.

A Shoobie-slightly derogatory to make fun of tourists that wear sandals with socks on the boardwalks and beaches.

A good example of a Benny if you can remember the TV show called "Jersey Shore". These were a**holes from Staten Island and NYC. They are the farthest thing from what a local is and acts.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Money. Tourists are our lifeblood. We do have snowbirds in the winter.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FIBs (Friggen Illinois Bastards) or flatlanders. Like most of Northern Michigan, we need their money. Unfortunately, the FIBs think it would be wonderful to buy a cute little house here. They pay Chicago prices and create a shortage of affordable housing for the locals.

Once Labor Day is past, it's paradise for 42 weeks. A few of the locals will go to the freeway on ramp with lawn chairs Labor Day and just wave "bye" to the tourists. Alcohol may be a factor...

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
We called them "train people" when I lived in Long Beach, NY.
I had an apartment across the street from the beach and the building was on the corner of the main street that leads to the train station.

Every weekend in the summer, a fresh crowd of "train people" would arrive at the beach within 10 minutes of the train arriving at the station.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a long-time ski patroller at a local ski area and although they are not ‘tourists’ in the traditional definition, we often refer to clueless, unprepared and usually non-athletic first time skiers as SPORS -

Stupid People On Rental Skis.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Money. Tourists are our lifeblood. We do have snowbirds in the winter.

Tourists aren't our lifeblood, so we just call them tourists.

We also have Snowbirds, though, and they put a lot into the local economy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Here in northern Minnesota we call them Cidiots. They come from St. Paul Minneapolis and bring the city idiocy with them.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Lost

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once Labor Day is past, it's paradise for 42 weeks. A few of the locals will go to the freeway on ramp with lawn chairs Labor Day and just wave "bye" to the tourists. Alcohol may be a factor...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I lived in rural Wisconsin outside a town of 411. Some of the Illinois jerks would come back and snowmobile from bar to bar and across the fields. At least one snowmobiler was decaptitated running into barbed wire. I lived on a lake and they would be running their machines full bore. Eventually it would get too cold and they would go home.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Muggles or Grockles

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

In my area tourists are called:

A Benny- Called that from coming from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York.

I grew up on the Jersey Shore (Monmouth County) and also referred to the tourists as Benny's. (Shoobies were more of a southern New Jersey problem). But I always considered the acronym to stand for Bergen, Essex, Newark, and New York. Makes more sense to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Cape Hatteras (where all locals know where their money comes from) tourists were called “Tourons” . Locals got an unspoken of discount as well as Coasties when out eating.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Gringos.

Round-eyes.

Running dogs.

No, those aren't right.

"Snow-birds." Yeah, that's the ticket. "Snow-birds."

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tourons is heard quite often, especially up in the NW corner of the state.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
FOPS. Fresh off the plane. People go on vacation and say fuck it and do things they’d never do at home at their place. It’s super aggravating. I see it where I travel also and it drives me nuts seeing tourists trash the place which I consider a home away from home as I have close friends that live there. They hate tourists there. Their attitude is fuck you. I grew here, you flew here. All they want there is for visitors to treat the place with respect and honor and they don’t. I’ve picked up trash on many occasion at the beach and have gotten stopped by locals chipping in, thanking me, ask where I live. I inform I’m also a tourist but loathe these fuckers. At least when I go now I get treated as a local and people know me. Other than that it’s amazing being a tourist and loathing the tourists.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Gator bait or damn Yankees, not necessarily in that order.

When I lived in WI, FIBS, fucking Illinois bastards. Unless they were towing a boat, then they were FISHTABS, fucking Illinois shit heads towing a boat. If they were from Iowa, idiots out walking around.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Citiots

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
MASSHOLES...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prey

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here we call them FlatLanders because most come from Ohio.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post