SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do locals call tourists in your town?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do locals call tourists in your town? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ancillary income
A lot of you would pass out if you could see what travelers
spend on stupid stuff in Iowa.

Iowa has some picturesque places around the state.
But compared to CA or WA,
Forget about it.

Not a single national park.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54685 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We live way back in the sticks, and any tourist around here is certainly lost.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Californians or one of the 7 words George Carlin couldn't say.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
snowbirds or illegals

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Medical Center patients

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Here in NC the summer residents, most of which are from Florida, are called 'half backs'.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Here in Chicago we refer to tourist's same as residents,
TARGETS

Posts: 4636 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Here in NC the summer residents, most of which are from Florida, are called 'half backs'.

I call them blowbacks, one hurricane and they are blown halfway back.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll put it this way:

Around here, the old joke/saying is this:

Q: What is the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?

A: A Yankee visits.

A: A Damn Yankee visits here, leaves and goes home, get a moving van and brings himself and family here on a one way trip.

Q: What do you call a Damn Yankee?
A: Anything you want, because he doesn't listen.

In full disclosure, I married a woman who was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Boston, and never had an accent that I could detect. It was a total shock meeting her parents, as they had a very thick Brooklyn accent, and she was laughing the whole time at this. I had no clue.

And, I have a lot of Damn Yankee friends who moved here for College, from NYC, Long Island, and New Jersey, they stayed here and raised a family, kids and grandkids, and are really good people, and they've been my most steadfast friends for 46 years now.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
We don't get a lot of tourists here. We get a lot of visitors but they are usually referred to has hockey teams, soccer teams, baseball teams, etc.

I understand for those 'tourists' that are foolish enough to venture downtown, specifically those looking to see where 8 Mile was filled, are commonly referred to as targets.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37993 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll put it this way:

Around here, the old joke/saying is this:

Q: What is the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?

A: A Yankee visits.

A: A Damn Yankee visits here, leaves and goes home, get a moving van and brings himself and family here on a one way trip.

Q: What do you call a Damn Yankee?
A: Anything you want, because he doesn't listen.

In full disclosure, I married a woman who was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Boston, and never had an accent that I could detect. It was a total shock meeting her parents, as they had a very thick Brooklyn accent, and she was laughing the whole time at this. I had no clue.

And, I have a lot of Damn Yankee friends who moved here for College, from NYC, Long Island, and New Jersey, they stayed here and raised a family, kids and grandkids, and are really good people, and they've been my most steadfast friends for 46 years now.

Calling here a Yankee growing up in Boston, not a Yankee, she’s more likely a Red Sox!

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Snowbirds.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pukers

Gutter punks

Idiots

Morons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I married a woman who was born in Brooklyn
Some of the best people were born in Brooklyn. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Here's the three I heard the most on the Outer Banks (Harkers Island, in particular, I reckon). Drime-

"Dit Dots" The term supposedly came about because tourists couldn’t understand the “High Tide” Outer Banks accent/dialect, so the locals responded, ‘What do you want us to do, talk in Morse code so you can understand us, like dit-dot, dit-dot, dot?’”

“Dingbatter" Archie Bunker often called his wife a dingbat because, in his misogynist view, she didn’t have any common sense. People on the Outer Banks appropriated the term and started calling tourists dingbatters.”

“Halfbacks" Yankees who spend half the year (naturally, “winter”) in the South.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Iowa has some picturesque places around the state.

Not a single national park.

No kidding???

When this question comes up on Jeopardy and I get it right, my wife will be impressed. Smile

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We call them a lot of different things behind their backs here on Lake Erie but they are our livelihood for 5 to 6 months of the year. As much as I despise the traffic and their attitude, they’ve provided a good living for me and family over the years. I’ve been in marine/heavy equipment sight development for 38 years and we’ve never had to leave a 30 mile radius… my better half has been in management for Walmart for 35 yrs and her store is tops in the area and contribute to her yearly bonus that puts her in mid 3 figure salary for performance for these dreaded people lol. We bitch but we know what butters our bread..

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I call them rich, even if they aren't, because I can't afford vacations. But I'm glad about the money they bring to town for the shops and retailers, restaurateurs, hotels, and the people who work in those industries, because they work their asses off for a living. BTW I had to look up how to spell rest-rant-teer. Pretty slick I know.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Foreigners, even if they're just from North Dakota. Smile

But it gets so COLD up there in North Dakota!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

In my area tourists are called:

A Benny- Called that from coming from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York.

I grew up on the Jersey Shore (Monmouth County) and also referred to the tourists as Benny's. (Shoobies were more of a southern New Jersey problem). But I always considered the acronym to stand for Bergen, Essex, Newark, and New York. Makes more sense to me.

You are right. It has to be in the very southern part of my county that they start calling them Shoobies.

Cape/Atlantic counties- Shoobies because the Philadelphia city people rode the train and packed their lunches in shoe boxes to save some money, the locals selling food items hated them.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8389 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post