SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do locals call tourists in your town?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do locals call tourists in your town? Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
My state and City consider tourists a great source of tax money, lodging tax and on and on. Hate to see it, but our voters have never voted down any legislation that will tax tourists.

Kind of sad I feel!!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Californians. They screw up the driving here. The other tourists are, for the most part welcomed, since most fly here.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In southern Maine they used to call Canadian tourists Kabekkahs after Quebec.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Tourists in DC? Victims.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

In my area tourists are called:

A Benny- Called that from coming from Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York.

I grew up on the Jersey Shore (Monmouth County) and also referred to the tourists as Benny's. (Shoobies were more of a southern New Jersey problem). But I always considered the acronym to stand for Bergen, Essex, Newark, and New York. Makes more sense to me.

You are right. It has to be in the very southern part of my county that they start calling them Shoobies.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
generally, unwanted visitors are assumed to be yankees.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
quote:
quote:

I grew up on the Jersey Shore (Monmouth County) and also referred to the tourists as Benny's. (Shoobies were more of a southern New Jersey problem). But I always considered the acronym to stand for Bergen, Essex, Newark, and New York. Makes more sense to me.

I spent many,40+, Summers between Sea Bright and Manasquan. I thought the term came from the quest for the "Beneficial Sun Rays". My daughter is a resident of Navesink, I'll have to ask her.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No tourists here. Not sure why they'd want to see anything around here.
Lost jobs, heroin problem and random violence.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snowbirds by the tens of thousands!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Revenue

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There are very few tourists in Houston, and all six of them are at NASA.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When I lived in New Mexico we called them turistas or snowbirds.

79 when we moved there we were called Michigringos or black tag Oakies for our black background license plates. Took a couple of years to lose that term.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Tourists.

Some use the term as an epithet, some affectionately. This town is really nice because of the $$$ tourists bring in. The traffic can be annoying sometimes, but mostly that is the locals commuting. Tourists either don't know what to do in the traffic circles or are a bit lost. We can walk to almost everything, so we can avoid the peak traffic times.

There is a definite cohort who don't think non-locals should be allowed to use our trails, parks, or ski area now that they live here.

We love this town and recognize there are minor inconveniences in trade for living in a first class resort town.

It is annoying that the restaurants no longer offer an off-season 2-for-1. There's not much of an off-season any more.

Posts: 9444 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Californians

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Floaters, pitas, various other, less polite things. Float trips on the river are big business here in the summer. Lots of the tags are from the Kansas City, KS area, and they drive a few hours to be drunk and stupid here.

The river outfitters all chip in for the pay for local cops to get paid for river patrol. This has caused much of the mayhem to be dialed back over the last few years. Better rates than overtime pay, and the cops get to look at bikinis all shift.

First memory that pops up is the guy who got into a fight with some Pacific Islanders. They produced a machete and eviscerated him. I remember him laying on the gravel beach next to his intestines. He was calmly smoking a cigarette, while everyone else was panicking.

Don't miss that job.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Tourists or Snowbirds (depends on the season).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Judging by the amounts of Graffiti hitting the Parks (State & National) since COVID, I'm guessing "California's".

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
“Nuts” as in why would you want to visit here?

We are the “Fireworks Capital of America” but you can hire a pyrotechnics show from here to be put on in a better place.

Oh, I guess were the “Hotdog Capital of America”, too. Pfft. Razz

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I spent many,40+, Summers between Sea Bright and Manasquan. I thought the term came from the quest for the "Beneficial Sun Rays". My daughter is a resident of Navesink, I'll have to ask her.

I too grew up in Monmouth County, will be going for my 45 HS reunion this summer, and we also called them Benny’s, Bayonne/Edison/Newark/NY was our definition. And I think ‘shoobies’ comes from the folks from Philly carrying their lunches in a shoe box when they’d ride the train ‘down the shore’ on the weekends.

Sea Bright/Flea Bite was a great place to be in the summer. Small world!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We call them hemorrhoids.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post