SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Seems the Queen of the UK is in weakening health. I don’t fully understand the monarchy nor would I want to live subject to one, but Elizabeth has been Queen for my entire life. She has been the longest reigning monarch in the history of the UK. I have clients from the UK who think of her and the monarchy reverently. She has borne her mantle with grace, dignity and poise while the world and culture around her slips into decay. As such, I dread the inevitable. God bless her and our ally England.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darthfuster,

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it does not look good. I have lived in the UK and her passing will shake the country. Will not encourage discussions on her succession- but I will say she has been a steady comforting presence since 1953. As an American, I can certainly say "God save the Queen"

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more, OP. I'm no monarchist, but Queen Elizabeth has certainly shown herself to be one of the good ones. I feel sorry for her and the family turmoil she has had to face in recent years. I wish her the best and hope she comes through this ok.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I too, wish her the best. I shudder to think of the shit show that will happen if she passes.

Her presence has been a steadying influence on Britain and alot of Europe for that matter. She has brought dignity, grace and a bit of serendipity to an otherwise dull world.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Queen is a fine person and a shining example of what a modern monarch/figurehead should be. I wish her well, and peace.

I think the monarchy will be fine, although it makes me no never mind. Some British monarchs have been better than others, but the institutions seem to soldier on despite the specific officeholder.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God Keep you Queen Elizabeth, you made Him proud.
Won’t be another like you, ever.

Much love and respect from an Irish Catholic.
Bless you!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
She's been Queen longer than I've been alive, & I haven't been a young man for a long time. I think she's the model for that role, though I've known no other. Much respect.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the country run by the PM and parliament? And the Monarchy is not involved with running the country, or does the Queen have final say in what parliament does?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me that she is in Hospice care now...they just aren't saying that.

The queen has very little input with day to day operation of the government.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Eh, sorta. From what I recall, the monarch was never formally stripped of power, it just stopped exercising it.

Technically, I think the monarch is still the head of the armed forces, not the PM.

I do know the monarch is the landlord for large areas, but I don’t know how much direct control he has over the corporation which administers the land.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Monarch is such an integral part of the culture that it would not be the same without one. Having spent time in the U.K. I admire the people and their traditions. I can only hope the successor has the wisdom and grace of Her Majesty.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Sounds to me that she is in Hospice care now...they just aren't saying that.

The queen has very little input with day to day operation of the government.

From what I've read and watched, reducing travel, meetings, public celebrations etc. I'd say she is due for a rest. 220 minus age puts her max heart rate around 124. Probably functioning in zone 3-4 half the day. Exhausting. Her diet is regular with enough protein. I expect us to hear from her shortly. " I'm not dead yet".

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
She's been Queen longer than I've been alive, & I haven't been a young man for a long time. I think she's the model for that role, though I've known no other. Much respect.

She's been alive for like 40% of our time as a country.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She entered her role as Queen a year after I was born. As others have said she’s served with grace and dignity. I heard on the wireless this morning that the family was gathering to be with her. I doubt that is because she has a minor ailment. I believe we are about to witness a major historical event. Prayers to her and her family.

Posts: 744 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear this. She is a class act.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Agree with everyone here. She is a class act and well deserving of our respect. God save the Queen.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
She entered her role as Queen a year after I was born. As others have said she’s served with grace and dignity.
Same here and yes, she has. The world won't be the same for me, and many others, I wager, after she's gone Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Just think about all the world leaders that woman saw come & go. And she's still there.

And yes, I agree. She is a class act & when she goes I hope she goes peacefully.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A few tidbits, the first Prime Minister under her was Winston Churchill and her mother lived to 101.
She's had a pretty good run, all things considered.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post