SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
You know I have always passed bad judgment on those who call themselves any country/American! Just galled me quite a bit. But with the Queen passing… I realized if anyone can call themselves
Blank/American it’s us. Those of us born of British ancestry are,English-Americans. We rebelled and rightfully so. But our country of origin is what it is. And our cousins over there are Kin. And as she was Queen for almost all my life, minus one year. She was my surrogate Queen. A Queen that was as stable as any leadership could be. She was admired by many not living in England myself included. Thank you You Queen Elisabeth for your service to your people.

If it wasn't for the Brits, we'd be speaking French.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Videos: Queen Elizabeth broke 600-year tradition to play US anthem after 9/11

Queen Elizabeth II broke with 600 years of British royal tradition by having the royal band play the “Star Spangled Banner” during a changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace on Sept. 12, 2001.

As the U.S. mourned the loss of thousands of lives after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks that took nearly 3,000 American lives, Queen Elizabeth ordered the Bands of the Household Division to play the American national anthem in a special tribute. The Daily Express reported 5,000 people, including many Americans, gathered outside Buckingham Palace on the day after the attack to mourn together.

The moment of mourning and solidarity with the U.S. broke with 600 years of tradition for the change of the guard ceremony. According to We Are The Mighty, until Sept. 12, 2001, the Bands of the Household Division had always played a mix of traditional British songs and popular music of the day while the national anthems of other countries were reserved for visits by foreign dignitaries.

After the royal military band played the Star-Spangled Banner, the palace held a two-minute silence. Prince Andrew then led the troops in a formal salute.

After playing the “Star Spangled Banner” the band also played a selection of somber American music including John Williams’ “Hymn to the Fallen,” which is from the final credits of the 1998 film “Saving Private Ryan.”

Queen Elizabeth once again honored the U.S. last year on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, having the royal band again play the “Star Spangled Banner” during a ceremony at Windsor Castle.

Clips of Queen Elizabeth’s tributes to the U.S. went viral on Thursday afternoon and Friday after she passed away at 96 years old. Queen Elizabeth’s death comes just three days before the 21st anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

https://americanmilitarynews.c...17&mc_cid=62f9466210

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know I have always passed bad judgment on those who call themselves any country/American! Just galled me quite a bit. But with the Queen passing… I realized if anyone can call themselves
Blank/American it’s us. Those of us born of British ancestry are,English-Americans. We rebelled and rightfully so. But our country of origin is what it is. And our cousins over there are Kin. And as she was Queen for almost all my life, minus one year. She was my surrogate Queen. A Queen that was as stable as any leadership could be. She was admired by many not living in England myself included. Thank you You Queen Elisabeth for your service to your people.

Well said.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
As a Canadian, I am deeply saddened by the passing of my sovereign.

As a generation Xer, I’m almost as much saddened by the end of the Elizabethan era - an era of peace, prosperity and reintroduction of liberal values to the Western World, following WWII.

No one alive now will get to see a woman like that again. Ever.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:

Queen Elizabeth once again honored the U.S. last year on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, having the royal band again play the “Star Spangled Banner” during a ceremony at Windsor Castle.

I want to single out this fact and remind us all of the events it occurred under.

One year ago the Biden regime not only chose to surrender Afghanistan, but was so focused on leveraging the optics of the retreat timetable for their own political purposes that it was conducted in a recklessly irresponsible and chaotic manner, resulting in not only the loss and abandonment of US citizens and allies, and military personnel, but also the loss and abandonment of our partners and allies, including British personnel... and DESPITE the recent betrayal by the Biden regime, on the 20th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, Queen Elizabeth II decided to extend the honor and courtesy of again having her royal band play our national anthem on this important date of rememberance.

No matter what differences between our two countries or governments, no matter what opinion you have of monarchs or republics, I don't believe we should ever forget this simple act of kindness, unity, respect, and decency that Queen Elizabeth II graciously chose to show us.

2012BOSS302 thanks for the reminder and posting these timely videos and article.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:

No one alive now will get to see a woman like that again. Ever.

It really is the end of an era.

My condolences to you and your countrymen. You were indeed fortunate to have had a monarch with such a strong sense of duty and service to country for such a length of time, that provided such a pillar of stability in an increasingly changing world.

Although there are some hypothetical scenarios in which it could conceivably happen, realistically we will never see a British Queen again in our lifetimes.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
If it wasn't for the Brits, we'd be speaking French.

And if it weren’t for the French, we’d be speaking English.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m the sixth generation of my line born in North America.

I’m an American. Nothing more. I have British ancestors, German, Swedish, Prussian ancestors, but I am 100% Native American.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
A positive and wise presence that, like the permanence of the earth, was unshakeable.

An exemplar of class of a type we'll likely never see again on the world stage. No one in 1952 expected the sudden death of her father. Her life's trajectory was almost, but not quite analagous to The road not taken. It was more like The road I was on until a helicopter landed and took me away but not before turning to rocket that road into oblivion.

She took her new life as a responsibility to be lived up to. An image to portray and maintain for the good of her country. I have no doubt whatsoever that at many a time it was a very difficult thing to do. But she remained faithful to doing it for her lifetime.

I find myself a bit relieved on her behalf, that she can finally lay down her burden.

The world was lucky to have had benefit of her presence for seventy years.

A wonderful tribute. The monarchy, sometimes often vilified in modern time, is the last bastion of tradition.
I've been sad over the Queen's passing, but she lived a wondrous life till age 96. It staggers my mind that her coronation was the year I was born. Imagine the immense responsibilities thrust upon a 25 year old girl.

She kept her wits about her, kept her private life and thoughts private, and remained impartial in most all political affairs.

And she loved her animals. Horses and Corgi's , Which elevated her in my eyes. Farewell Queen.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Maybe everyone could just be gracious and STFU is they have nothing positive to say.

You don't very often (although today, with the extreme lack of class that seems to be popular) see some jackass coming online and saying "My friend Steve's aunt died and he's over there crying like a pussy. I ain't crying like a pussy cause she wasn't MY aunt."

A nation lost their head of state. That's sad for patriotic folks in that nation.

People cried when Kennedy was assassinated and he was an elected President, and they didn't know him, never met him, and had NO other connection other than him being the leader of their government.

In my experience, Queen Elizabeth led her nation through some tough times, and did so with grace, and class. So I'll be a decent human being, express my condolences to the people of her country, and hope her offspring and legacy will inspire others to do the right thing and help lead the world to improved and better places.

If I couldn't do that, I'd hope I at least had the decency to shut the fuck up.

(In fairness, the vast majority of this rant is directed at a liberal forum that shall not be names, where I'm reading all the idiots over there who can't wait to post some sanctimonious bullshit about anything, and only a couple people here)

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Maybe everyone could just be gracious and STFU is they have nothing positive to say.

You don't very often (although today, with the extreme lack of class that seems to be popular) see some jackass coming online and saying "My friend Steve's aunt died and he's over there crying like a pussy. I ain't crying like a pussy cause she wasn't MY aunt."

A nation lost their head of state. That's sad for patriotic folks in that nation.

People cried when Kennedy was assassinated and he was an elected President, and they didn't know him, never met him, and had NO other connection other than him being the leader of their government.

In my experience, Queen Elizabeth led her nation through some tough times, and did so with grace, and class. So I'll be a decent human being, express my condolences to the people of her country, and hope her offspring and legacy will inspire others to do the right thing and help lead the world to improved and better places.

If I couldn't do that, I'd hope I at least had the decency to shut the fuck up.

(In fairness, the vast majority of this rant is directed at a liberal forum that shall not be names, where I'm reading all the idiots over there who can't wait to post some sanctimonious bullshit about anything, and only a couple people here)

Kevin

Roger that Kevin

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you don’t think the death of Queen Elizabeth II touched something, the queue to walk past her coffin, lying in state at Westminster, was 14 kilometers, about seven and a half miles long, with wait times > 16 hours. And at that point the security folks stepped in and said “Too damned many people waiting for too long.” They closed the queue for several hours.

You can also see it watching the mourners pass her coffin (BBC is live-streaming). You see people bow, pray, one man knelt for a 20 second prayer.

14 kilometers. She was well loved by her people.

Good on you, good people of Her Majesty’s realm.

Nice is overrated

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
^^^
I noticed, recently, the US flags in the area at half-staff yet again. We had another LEO killed in the line of duty which perhaps would've explained why, and a perfectly good reason to do so, but given the countless other frequent examples when the President or our Governor choose to lower the flag to virtue signal their support for a political agenda, I was more than ready to be outraged by their latest cheapening of a meaningful act of respect, when I researched why it had been lowered.

I was (pleasantly) surprised that our feckless corrupt power-hungry totalitarian President and Governor actually chose to lower the US flag for an appropriate reason, for a change.

Gov. Polis Orders Flags Lowered to Honor the Passing of Queen Elizabeth II

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2022

DENVER — Today, Governor Jared Polis ordered flags to be lowered to half-staff beginning immediately until sunset on the day of interment, in honor of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, as proclaimed by President Biden.

The text of the proclamation reads:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was more than a monarch. She defined an era.

In a world of constant change, she was a steadying presence and a source of comfort and pride for generations of Britons, including many who have never known their country without her. Queen Elizabeth II led always with grace, an unwavering commitment to duty, and the incomparable power of her example. She was a stateswoman of unmatched dignity and constancy who deepened the bedrock Alliance between the United Kingdom and the United States. She helped make our relationship special. The seven decades of her history-making reign bore witness to an age of unprecedented human advancement and the forward march of human dignity. Her legacy will loom large in the pages of British history, and in the story of our world.

As a mark of respect for the memory of Queen Elizabeth II, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, on the day of interment. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-seventh.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm trying to get my poor, bald and muddled ol' head around that date. I'd appreciate and explication, if you could spare a minute.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

I'm trying to get my poor, bald and muddled ol' head around that date. I'd appreciate and explication, if you could spare a minute.
The date that the World Trade Center was destroyed, and the Pentagon was attacked, by terrorists who hijacked airline planes. September 11, 2001.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:he date that the World Trade Center was destroyed, and the Pentagon was attacked, by terrorists who hijacked airline planes. September 11, 2001.

Just four houses down our street, they lost their son in the North Tower, so I'm well aware of the significance of the date, what I'M trying to figure out is this comment - 'Queen Elizabeth broke 600-year tradition to play US anthem after 9/11'.

WHAT 600-year-old tradition?

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tac, I think they are trying to sell….Not playing other country’s anthems(unless it’s a state visit)???

Doesn’t make sense. But it’s the media and you shouldn’t worry about it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there is more to it, but I think the playing of the national anthem of a foreign nation was unprecedented at the particular changing of the guard ceremony and setting. Regardless, it was noteworthy, the Brits aren't exactly known for breaking of tradition.

Posts: 2770 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

I'm well aware of the significance of the date
Ah, I guess I did not understand your question.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pageantry today was amazingly impressive

RIP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post