SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Damn. I hate that. I can't say I knew much about her other than what was reported in the press, but my understanding is that she was a very strong yet fair and level-headed woman and leader. Rest well Your Majesty

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Certainly she was a great example of dignity, service, and duty. Character traits sadly lacking in today's world.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the country run by the PM and parliament? And the Monarchy is not involved with running the country, or does the Queen have final say in what parliament does?
I heard it described earlier at lunch time that the queen was both an example of and a symbol to rally around when it came to love of country. When parliament and/or the population argued and disagreed on topics, the queen always provided a catalyst that allowed the country to come together. Kinda wish we had some sort of similar catalyst in this country that transcended politics and helped the country come together.

May she rest in peace. She certainly has earned that.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Her Royal Majesty, Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith was one of the most influential persons of the 20th Century.

She oversaw the vile destruction of Her Empire, forced on Britain by Roosevelt, and later Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson.

She served during WWII, training as a truck driver, but later driving mostly staff cars.

She was the last Royal who was worthy of the title. Perhaps now Charles will step aside and let William assume the Monarchy.

I shall mourn her passing with a visit to an Anglican Church.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
As most from the GREATEST GENERATION, she "Talked the talk and walked the walk"
Her, and her generation, experienced things and survived things we could not even fathom.
Her life's wisdom along with that of her peers will missed.
Bless her.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Now, she belongs to the Ages. We shall not see her like again.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Her Royal Majesty, Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith was one of the most influential persons of the 20th Century.

She oversaw the vile destruction of Her Empire, forced on Britain by Roosevelt, and later Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson.

Ummm...WTF are you talking about, man?

Those former British Empire countries all decided to declare independence, that's the first I'm hearing that it's AMERICA'S fault. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
This news leaves me very sad. A more dignified and respect worthy sovereign is hard to imagine. Given the many many examples of monarchs who abused their stations and their subjects over the course of history, E II somehow managed to get it right almost every time. Not by accident, I think. I feel terrible that she had to suffer the indignities laid at her door by her offspring, and their offspring over the past few decades. I hope she will find peace in heaven, and Charles and Camilla can manage not to embarrass the Kingdom.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Ummm...WTF are you talking about, man?

Those former British Empire countries all decided to declare independence, that's the first I'm hearing that it's AMERICA'S fault. Roll Eyes

^^^^

It's called history. It most likely would have occurred down the road but factually he is right.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RIP, Queen Elizabeth II. Frown

She was a very graceful representative of the best aspects of her country.

Condolences to the family and to her countrymen on her passing.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Yeah, the end of the Age of Empires was a good thing, and an historic inevitability.

I respected the Queen. She seemed a good woman and leader.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
RIP, Your Highness. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not yet 5 when she became the Queen. We didn't have a TV back then, but I seem to recall film of it at our local movie theater when they showed the latest world news and the previews before the feature. It was a bit dated by then, but we always watched those things. And, of course there were photos aplenty in our local paper.

I also recall having a bit of a crush on her as a young boy, but, I always was attracted to girls.

Bob

Posts: 1572 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So any credence to the rumor (rumour?) that Charles will take the Crown and immediately abdicate and make Prince William the new King? And he may take the regnal name of Edward IX?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the summer of 1959, Chicago prepared to play host to a queen for a day. Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, visited our fair city during a North American swing primarily through Canada on the recently opened St. Lawrence Seaway.

It was quite the affair for Chicago. She and Prince Phillip were young then. She only visited once and said very complimentary things about the city. Mayor Daley loved it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So any credence to the rumor (rumour?) that Charles will take the Crown and immediately abdicate and make Prince William the new King? And he may take the regnal name of Edward IV?

^^^^^^^
You got to be kidding. Charles has been waiting for the Queen to abdicate the throne his whole life. He is the oldest 74 I have ever seen both in his actions and demeanor. He is your Grandpa's Grandpa. Prince Fuddy Duddy.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Yep. The goofy fucker is gonna be Charles III. Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
So any credence to the rumor (rumour?) that Charles will take the Crown and immediately abdicate and make Prince William the new King? And he may take the regnal name of Edward IV?

^^^^^^^
You got to be kidding. Charles has been waiting for the Queen to abdicate the throne his whole life. He is the oldest 74 I have ever seen both in his actions and demeanor. He is your Grandpa's Grandpa. Prince Fuddy Duddy.
I have to say, that was my first thought too. I remember seeing a story on him for 60 minutes (like 1979?) and it seemed to me he was champing the bit, dreaming of being king even that far back. No way he 'steps aside'.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, she went quick. This pic was just on Tuesday, when she met with Liz Truss, the new British Prime Minister. She looked like nothing was wrong, except for being a normal elder. Two days later, she was gone.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Look at her hands. Those look like bruising from having IVs in them very recently.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post