SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
While Princess Anne never served in the military, she has several military honors as is tradition in the royal family, becoming Rear Admiral in 1993, Vice Admiral in 2009 and then Admiral in 2012.

Ok , call her an Admiral if you wish .

Posts: 3968 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
So I visited the Tower of London in 1994. IT WAS AMAZING, by the way.

The Beefeaters had E R II on their tunics. They said it stood for Elizabeth II Regina (they joked it stood for "Elect Reagan Twice"). I assume they will change uniforms to read C R III for Charles III Rex?. . .

I am not a huge royal-watcher, but I admit I love the pageantry. It was so cool to see the Tower, especially since it was so timeless. I imagine it would be a very similar experience a 100-200 years in the past, or 100-200 years in the future. Those Beefeaters and Yeomen were really awesome and seemed to know the gravity of their roles.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like BBC deleted their entire recorded coverage of Monday's proceedings from You Tube. Hope they put it back up, was hoping to go back and check a few things

Posts: 14564 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
A couple pages previously, when I posted about President Biden issuing a proclamation and carried out by US governors, to lower the US flag out of deference and respect for the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, I had intended to, but failed to make an observation that I'll make now.

Two iconic world leaders passed in a relatively short time span from each other, each making significant impacts and contributions to both world history and events as well as their own countries... and yet, their passings were treated very differently.

Despite his decisions and efforts that helped lead to the end of the Cold War, the end of the Soviet Union, and the end of Communism in several countries, a large part of the Russian population looked down upon Mikhail Gorbachev on his death. To be sure, he was a leader of the communist "evil empire" that posed the greatest threat to the West, but he was also a counterpart to President Reagan's efforts to defeat Communism and ultimately decided to allow the Soviet Union to collapse peacefully, rather than violently...and yet President Biden never issued a proclamation to lower the US flag to mark Gorbachev's passing.

Both Mikhail Gorbachev and Queen Elizabeth II presided over the collapse of their respective countrys' empires...one was hated for it and the other was loved despite it...

...such was the measure of Queen Elizabeth II.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Looks like BBC deleted their entire recorded coverage of Monday's proceedings from You Tube. Hope they put it back up, was hoping to go back and check a few things

Frown Damn. Yeah, I had hoped to doubleback and catch the BBC coverage as well. Damn shame that we in the US have to rely on foreign media for respectful, informative, and accurate coverage of world events outside our borders.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

The Beefeaters had E R II on their tunics. They said it stood for Elizabeth II Regina (they joked it stood for "Elect Reagan Twice"). I assume they will change uniforms to read C R III for Charles III Rex?. . .

I am not a huge royal-watcher, but I admit I love the pageantry. It was so cool to see the Tower, especially since it was so timeless. I imagine it would be a very similar experience a 100-200 years in the past, or 100-200 years in the future. Those Beefeaters and Yeomen were really awesome and seemed to know the gravity of their roles.

'Beefeaters' = nickname for Yeomen of the Guard. They are one and the same people, ex-SNCO's and Warrant Officers of the Army.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

The link someone posted is indeed dead, but sky news still has a couple of hour+ videos up.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Good on the new King

Harry is finding out the hard way you can’t smear your own family like that:

'Ruthless' King Charles To 'Permanently Exile' Prince Harry

While the headline is a little sensational, it sounds like King Charles is going to do everything in his power to keep Harry the Cuck and his Wokie shrew of a wife FAR away from the UK and anything related to the Royal Family

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Read a few articles over the weekend. Looks like Harry and Megan might be invited to the coronation, but will be in the nose bleed seats. And a few articles the Meghan is a total bitch and Harry better figure it out fast. She is already dragging him down.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Good on the new King.

"The royals handled the abdication crisis by exiling Edward which meant he and Wallis ultimately came to seem like unimportant, misguided, disloyal, and even treacherous individuals to almost the entirety of the British people."

And recall that Edward and Wallis were sympathetic to Hitler.

"Let's not forget that Prince Harry's upcoming memoir has the royal family up in arms, with King Charles reportedly wanting to read it before granting Harry's children royal titles."

Be careful what you wish for, Harry.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9111 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Carolus Rex

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I had hoped that the recent events would have jarred Harry back to reality but the sad part is that maybe he really isn’t cut out to be a Royal.

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I had hoped that the recent events would have jarred Harry back to reality but the sad part is that maybe he really isn’t cut out to be a Royal.

From what I've read, someone made a comment interpreted as racist about Harry's wife and or children. Given that, and his pride, I can see why almost nothing would bring him back. Harry and his line are a splinter now.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29604 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Good on the new King

While the headline is a little sensational, it sounds like King Charles is going to do everything in his power to keep Harry the Cuck and his Wokie shrew of a wife FAR away from the UK and anything related to the Royal Family

This could get VERY ugly, particularly if the long rumored "nuclear option" (Harry's DNA test) is true. Would Harry & Meghan do something crazy enough that Charles decides there is less harm in outing himself to the world as a cuckold than whatever damage they are about to do to the Monarchy? Consorts aren't allowed "royal bastards" so H&M would be toast.

I see William and his desire to protect his mother's legacy and reputation as one thing that might prevent this but...his Dad is King and has final say.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
This could get VERY ugly, particularly if the long rumored "nuclear option" (Harry's DNA test) is true.

Believe it....or don't...

Is Harry King Charles' son or not?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
This could get VERY ugly, particularly if the long rumored "nuclear option" (Harry's DNA test) is true.

Believe it....or don't...

Is Harry King Charles' son or not?

There's been others throughout history where strong rumor or, open questions about heirs and their parentage have come up.

Posts: 14564 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice closing by the BBC

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice closing by the BBC

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ck7y11LSW0Y" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Nice...

Posts: 2713 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
King Charles III's royal cipher (cypher) unveiled today:

Interesting that he went back to an earlier crown in a tribute to his grandfather, King George VI:

That is the Tudor Crown:

This was Queen Elizabeth's royal cipher that is well known to the world, that contains the St. Edwards Crown:

Link

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post