SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I will admit that things got fuzzy when they sang 'God Save the Queen'

taking the orb, scepter and crown off the coffin was a bit emotional as well

I will never hear that song again

Posts: 53163 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I believe that for her faith, God has saved the Queen. The more I’ve learned about her character recently, the more I admire who she became. As I don’t adore, glorify nor worship any man, I do respect her. It is sad the world must shed the righteous as well as the unrighteous. I pray the UK continues in peace and hope.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amazing ceremony, and it's a grateful world that we were allowed to attend the services and all the things done to celebrate the Queens life.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was only able to see the last 20 minutes - will it be re-broadcast later today?

Posts: 53163 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I was only able to see the last 20 minutes - will it be re-broadcast later today?

You can watch both services that were held today here. The smaller committal service at St. George's Chapel at Windsor (where the scepter, crown and orb were removed from her casket) starts around the 8:11:00 mark.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks - will watch them after work today

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
The pageantry today was amazingly impressive

RIP

^^^^^^^ This

God Bless the Queen.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
If I'm ever reincarnated, let me come back as a "Beefeater"...

Posts: 2759 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Brits know how to put on a show....and this one, was tremendous.

Seeing her pony Emma, standing on the side, cast alone against that giant field while the procession moved past...good lord that was touching.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again.

Posts: 2759 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always found it very fascinating that the British actually have two types of salutes depending on which branch of service. There is the one we Americans associate with the British which is the palm-outwards salute, and here you see Prince William executing it this morning as he is wearing his RAF uniform. But look at King Charles and his sister Princess Anne who are both wearing Royal Navy uniforms. That's the "naval salute" and one that is virtually the same as what we Americans use:

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I always found it very fascinating that the British actually have two types of salutes depending on which branch of service. There is the one we Americans associate with the British which is the palm-outwards salute, and here you see Prince William executing it this morning as he is wearing his RAF uniform. But look at King Charles and his sister Princess Anne who are both wearing Royal Navy uniforms. That's the "naval salute" and one that is virtually the same as what we Americans use:

The origin of the two salutes is very mundane.

The Army salutes with an open hand, showing that there is nothing concealed in it.

The Royal Navy, excluding the Royal Marines, salutes with the hand turned to hide the palm and the usual filth of tar stains found on sailors' hands in the days of sail.

Other militaries in the Commonwealth, originally trained by the British, may or may not follow the motion - Canada, for instance, does not, and uses the same salute as the Armed Forces of the US of A.

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

I'm well aware of the significance of the date
Ah, I guess I did not understand your question.

In 1402, Henry VI was on the throne of England. There was no national anthem, and we were still seventy years short of Columbus 'discovering' the Americas.

So, no breaking with any tradition of any kind.

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
she was a grand lady and I consider myself very lucky to have met her on one occasion and I will remember it forever - just one of those things that sticks with you

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm speaking here on behalf of Mrs tac and me, and any other Brits and Commonwealth members reading this thread, and thanking you all for making this the most memorable, respectful and noteworthy post I ever read here in my time as a member of this forum.

I think that M. Macron, President of France, summed up the feelings held by most folks who were not either nationals or Commonwealth citizens, when he said 'To you, she was YOUR Queen, but to us, she was THE Queen'.

Sums it up for me.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
she was a grand lady and I consider myself very lucky to have met her on one occasion and I will remember it forever - just one of those things that sticks with you

Could you share your story of meeting her?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much of a head case do I have to be ?
I know
about close to nothing about how kings and queens work over there.

But while watching the events I can feel the sorrow and loss of the people to such a degree
That i feel the sadness and emptiness weighing on my heart.

Maybe I need some sort of "professional" help of some sort.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I recognized the Ravenmaster as one of the guards.

He is a retired combat veteran chosen to care for the ravens in the tower.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom is a retired history teacher. I grew up with her love for English history. I got up before 4:00 a.m. to watch the whole thing and have watched the past few days as well. So beautiful and something likely none of us will ever see again. The transfer of the orb, scepter and crown back to the altar has never been seen by the public. The old gal could sure plan a parade too! The Windsor service was very like most Episcopalians like I am would expect to attend at our parish church, except for the regalia transfer.

Posts: 397 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
My mom is a retired history teacher. I grew up with her love for English history. I got up before 4:00 a.m. to watch the whole thing and have watched the past few days as well. So beautiful and something likely none of us will ever see again. The transfer of the orb, scepter and crown back to the altar has never been seen by the public. The old gal could sure plan a parade too! The Windsor service was very like most Episcopalians like I am would expect to attend at our parish church, except for the regalia transfer.

Nor have the placing of the camp flag and breaking of the wand, which occurred right after that.