SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen is ailing. Update: She has passed. Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I recognized the Ravenmaster as one of the guards.

He is a retired combat veteran chosen to care for the ravens in the tower.

All Yeomen of the Guard are retired non-commissioned officers in the Armed Forces. No officers need apply. There was an excellent series on TV about the life and times of the Yeoman of the Guard. The term 'beefeaters' has nothing to do with their eating habit. They were originally a group of 'gentlemen yeomen' tasked with feeding the monarch and attending his victualling from the 'bouffette', what we would call today a long sideboard in which dishes and platters of food was temporarily placed after having been brought from the kitchens. Those who did the serving were called 'boufettiéres', gradually morphing into 'beefeaters'. [French was still the other language spoken at court.] The bouffette word has come down to modern English usage as a 'buffet' or 'buffet bar' - feeding yourself from a long table with a selection of food on it.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any particular reason Harry isn’t wearing his military uniform vs a suit and coat with tails and his medals on his chest ?

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If I recall it’s because he is no longer active duty.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Is there any particular reason Harry isn’t wearing his military uniform vs a suit and coat with tails and his medals on his chest ?

He effectively turned his back on his family and basically called them all racists, no doubt urged on by that shrew of a wife and is no longer considered a working Royal and therefore lost all his rights and privileges as far as wearing a military uniform.

It’s sad how far he’s fallen, I think he’ll always be the outcast now.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

He effectively turned his back on his family and basically called them all racists, no doubt urged on by that shrew of a wife and is no longer considered a working Royal and therefore lost all his rights and privileges as far as wearing a military uniform.

It’s sad how far he’s fallen, I think he’ll always be the outcast now.

His sister-in-law should squirt out another rug-rat just to push him even further back in the line of succession. Might make Meghan's head explode.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
The Royals don't usually give official explanations of these matters, but speculation is unbridled.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prince Harry had his honorary military titles withdrawn by the Queen when he gave up his position as a "working royal".

Likewise, "Prince" Andrew was not wearing his military uniform either. The Queen stripped him of his honorary military titles due to his Jeffery Epstein connection / settlement.

Although I believe both were allowed to wear their uniforms while standing watch Friday and Saturday night during the public viewing.

According to Piers Morgan, the only people who can wear the uniform, other than active duty, are those who have been given honorary military titles by the Crown.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It was noted somewhere that the shoulder boards on Harry’s uniform did not have the “ER” for Elizabeth Rex on his uniform. I didn’t see anything about Andrews…but i assume it was also removed

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm speaking here on behalf of Mrs tac and me, and any other Brits and Commonwealth members reading this thread, and thanking you all for making this the most memorable, respectful and noteworthy post I ever read here in my time as a member of this forum.

On behalf of the members, you are quite welcome.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It was noted somewhere that the shoulder boards on Harry’s uniform did not have the “ER” for Elizabeth Rex on his uniform. I didn’t see anything about Andrews…but i assume it was also removed

Regina

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harry and Uncle Andrew got a special one-day waver to wear their uniform to stand vigil. Both served and saw combat, to which the public was quite proud that senior royals actually got into the mud; unfortunately, their post-service lives have eclipsed the good they did while in the military. The Queen basically told Harry if you're walking away from this life, you don't get all the perks; as for Andrew...good grief. Heard there was a number of hecklers reminding him of his friendship with Epstein.

Curiously Edward, after barely graduating school, joined the Royal Marines, but dropped out of the Commando course (think Ranger school level of difficulty) to pursue a career in show business. As a senior royal, he gets to choose from a handful of uniforms he received as an honoraium, EXCEPT for the Royal Marines. Meanwhile, big sister Anne, who never served but, is regarding as the 'hardest working royal' is a full-Admiral in the RN.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Queen Elizabeth's funeral was all class.

The farewell by her Fell pony, Emma and two Corgi's, Sandy and Muich (Mick) just broke me down, was heartbreaking.

Even the BBC shined on this day,their coverage was excellent. Many sad people in England, and around the world , over her passing.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Queen Elizabeth's funeral was all class.

The farewell by her Fell pony, Emma and two Corgi's, Sandy and Muich (Mick) just broke me down, was heartbreaking.

Even the BBC shined on this day,their coverage was excellent. Many sad people in England, and around the world , over her passing.

That's the one I watched. They had a lot of commentary explaining things.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

The US broadcasts treated it like a celebrity event, constantly talking, yammering on and commenting, it was incessant. There was a few times where a commentary would say costume rather than uniform. The BBC, from the very beginning said, this was a solumn ceremony, would keep any commentary to a minimum and would allow the pictures speak for themselves. They did a great job.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I didn’t get a chance to see the live broadcast, but I did see the BBC 90-minute re-broadcast on our local PBS affiliate. Very well done and moving; the celebrating and remembering of a 70-year reign that none alive today will ever see again.

As for the “ER” initials on the uniform, it’s my understanding that those are worn only by those engaged as a personal servant to the reigning sovereign; something which the Frog Prince no longer is thanks to his Shrewish spouse.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair level of difficulty) Meanwhile, big sister Anne, who never served but, is regarding as the 'hardest working royal' is a full-Admiral in the RN.
Anne is not an Admiral . The uniform was a ceremonial tribute to the Queen .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
If I recall it’s because he is no longer active duty.
None of them are .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair level of difficulty) Meanwhile, big sister Anne, who never served but, is regarding as the 'hardest working royal' is a full-Admiral in the RN.
Anne is not an Admiral . The uniform was a ceremonial tribute to the Queen .

https://people.com/royals/prin...woman-in-mans-world/

美しい犬

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Regina

Lol, you got me, err I got myself..it’s been quite a few years since I took Latin 101…1985 was some time ago..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post