SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
porter knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTP21NTcgM

there's always one guy

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
porter knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTP21NTcgM

there's always one guy

That's pretty much how it went down. Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see you had the metal to get'er done,
most people would have rolled over, great for you.

I know a lady that purchased glasses at Wal Mart,

they would not admit that the first four pairs of glasses had the incorrect prescriptions,

so she purchased a 5th pair ! Mad

she would not let me talk to the people , she did not want to make waves ,
the end price was $600.00 for a pair of $130.00 glasses.

I wanted to strangle her and! the Wal Mart people

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

she would not let me talk to the people , she did not want to make waves ,
the end price was $600.00 for a pair of $130.00 glasses.

Tell her to check out Zenni Optical. Never had a problem with them. RX glasses under $20.

https://www.zennioptical.com/?...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Great ending!!
Did the Logistics VP give you any hint at what they did to the rude delivery driver? Fired?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Great ending!!
Did the Logistics VP give you any hint at what they did to the rude delivery driver? Fired?

They really never addressed that in anyway, which was odd to me. That's what pissed me off the most and put me over the edge though.

Knowing this company, they probably gave him a promotion.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
...I got on the internet and found the emails for the CEOs for both lowes and XPO logistics, I also found every single email for directors, marketing, HR, customer services, janitors etc...I composed an email to the people I've been dealing with, but I cc'd ALL of these other people as well (About 25-30 people, many of which had no business in the matter). I had it. I said I'd go to local and national news, blow them up on social media, BBB, chamber of commerce, and even pursue litigation and send incessant emails to everyone everyday until the issue was addressed. I was even prepared to hang out in Lowe's and tell customers about my experience.

Oh, and I attached the video of their employee cursing at me and blowing me off while roughly handling my appliances.

Well, it worked.

That afternoon, I had a bunch of big wigs contact me from both companies, including the Lowe's CEO secretary. I let them ALL know about the original issue and what has been going on since, etc. I also let them know what sort of company they are partnering with...

Congrats! Sometimes you have to go to the top.

Several years ago, I had a SIG 556 that was out of spec. Rather than deal with the run around that SIG CS was famous for at the time, I sent a letter and email with pictures to Ron Cohen (It took a while but I was able to find his direct contact information). Needless to say, I had a very satisfactory resolution from SIG. Now if they would still support them but that is another story.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
Right fuckin on man. I like your style.

Nuke and pave.

I agree. I've been known to exercise the nuclear option myself after not getting a satisfactory answer. Bravo, sir!

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Researching executive emails is a good move.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm not an electrician but I've put a few dryer cords on in my day. Never had one that I had to cross wires like in your photo. Why on earth would they arrange the terminals on the dryer in that order?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No strain relief either...

Glad you got things resolved.
In no way should thing come to this... cussing at customers, the guy needs fired!!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a photo of the screwy wiring for those interested.

Well that is obvious as hell. Why didn't you post that previously?

Do you have a picture of where bonding strap is? From pic it appears they wired in a dead short which should have just tripped breaker.

Also appears they threw away the connector for the dryer cord.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Do you have a picture of where bonding strap is? From pic it appears they wired in a dead short which should have just tripped breaker.

Two wires reversed doesn't equal a dead short (This is the conversation XLT and I was having).

You now have a 120 volt heater instead of 240 volt.
Depending on which hot the motor is wired too, it might just have reversed polarity. Or may have 240 volts going to a 120 volt motor.

Then you have the three wire hookup with no dedicated ground.
Would be nice to see where the white wire leads...

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Two wires reversed doesn't equal a dead short (This is the conversation XLT and I was having).

You now have a 120 volt heater instead of 240 volt.
Depending on which hot the motor is wired too, it might just have reversed polarity. Or may have 240 volts going to a 120 volt motor.

Then you have the three wire hookup with no dedicated ground.

Yep. In fact I think I made the same wrong statement last go around. But without the bonding strap connected there should not have been 120v going to the chassis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well yeah, they're the delivery guys. XPO Logistics...they set up the dryer with faulty electrical and were handling the claim, however Lowe's is attached to them.

Interesting, XPO also does deliveries and installs for Home Depot. We had two guys from XPO deliver (and attempt to install) a dishwasher. We'd just had new hardwood floors laid about two weeks prior to delivery. The idiots were dragging the unboxed appliance around and gouged the hell out of the flooring. After a boatload of back and forth with Home Depot the replaced the flooring. What did we learn you ask? Always hire your own installer. It's worth the extra money.

Glad this worked out for you Ramius.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
originally posted by Excam_man:

Yep. In fact I think I made the same wrong statement last go around. But without the bonding strap connected there should not have been 120v going to the chassis.

Researched the white wire.
Since it should be a neutral and it's tied to the ground lug (which should be a green wire) and verified my suspicions.
Read below where this ties the case ground to the neutral of the cord (which was HOT in the OP's situation).

quote:
There may be a short white wire or metal strap joining the neutral terminal and the ground screw, or there may be a white wire coming from inside the dryer and connecting to the ground screw. This is the 3-wire configuration that ties the case ground to the neutral cord wire

So there's the energized cabinet. With a whole lot of resistance to not trip the 30 amp breaker.

Given the details, he's damn lucky not to have been electrocuted.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
Right fuckin on man. I like your style.

Nuke and pave.

I agree. I've been known to exercise the nuclear option myself after not getting a satisfactory answer. Bravo, sir!

Thanks guys! I really didn't feel like exploring the nuclear option early on, figured they'd really just want to handle it and move on! When all else fails, NUKE IT Smile

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Skins, no photo of the bonding strap unfortunatly.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm learning some stuff here...still think electricity is voodoo magic though.

So in this set up, if one were to touch the rear unpainted area of the dryer, would ya get a shock?

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Well yeah, they're the delivery guys. XPO Logistics...they set up the dryer with faulty electrical and were handling the claim, however Lowe's is attached to them.

Interesting, XPO also does deliveries and installs for Home Depot. We had two guys from XPO deliver (and attempt to install) a dishwasher. We'd just had new hardwood floors laid about two weeks prior to delivery. The idiots were dragging the unboxed appliance around and gouged the hell out of the flooring. After a boatload of back and forth with Home Depot the replaced the flooring. What did we learn you ask? Always hire your own installer. It's worth the extra money.

Glad this worked out for you Ramius.

I will certainly hire my own installer from here on out for anything like this. Lesson learned. These folks got nothing right from the get go, especially delivering the wrong dryer from the start.

Hell, I'd want to bypass any delivery company fully and just pick up the appliance myself.

For the kitchen, they delivered a $2,300 stove with a massive dent in it...totally obvious for a blind man. They just left it, so of course it held up the remodel until we got one without a massive dent.

One thing I learned, I guess it's obvious if ya think about it...when they originally set up the incorrect dryer a month ago, they said to keep it until they can get the right one.

When they came to deliver the "right" one (faulty wiring), I asked what they do with the dryer that I used for the month. They said they just rebox/retape it with the blue protective film and deliver it to someone else. I guess it's not an issue, but technically you could get a "used" appliance when you think you're getting something brand new.

posted Hide Post
quote:

When they came to deliver the "right" one (faulty wiring), I asked what they do with the dryer that I used for the month. They said they just rebox/retape it with the blue protective film and deliver it to someone else. I guess it's not an issue, but technically you could get a "used" appliance when you think you're getting something brand new.

Which is illegal (selling used as new).