SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

About 5 minutes after speaking to the Lowes manager, a person who handles these sorts of issues from the contracted company called me. I informed him of what happened and he basically asked what I wanted.

I just sent him this email of my requests:

I think you're going to have a tough time getting all that unless you lawyer up on them.

Posts: 34014 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

About 5 minutes after speaking to the Lowes manager, a person who handles these sorts of issues from the contracted company called me. I informed him of what happened and he basically asked what I wanted.

I think you're going to have a tough time getting all that unless you lawyer up on them.

I figured I'd go a bit extreme. I'd be happy with just the electrical repairs and a washer dryer replacement and reimbursement.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you want a new washer and dryer AND a refund of the money they cost you?

Don't see that happening... but you know they will counter, so you have to start somewhere.
You could always relay that this is cheaper than doctor bills or your funeral (had you been killed from electrocution).

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Don't see that happening...

You're right. I shoulda put a trip to Hawaii in there.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might. I got a full 3k refund of some badly install doors, and they just re-carpeted my whole house due to a flaw in the original carpeting. When negligence starts a fire, liability can be large and court should be avoided.

Posts: 17180 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Come on, most of us learned in high school, “If you don’t ask, you don’t get.”

I thought that was a pretty slick letter. Hit the liability hard, but didn’t threaten. I could see the guy thinking, “F***, all I need is for this guy to get a lawyer. It is expensive, but maybe worth it to get him to go away.”

Posts: 6947 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Haha haha. Nice! Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please let us know how this turns out .

Posts: 4107 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just don't pull a Cosmo Kramer and accept the first offer! LOL. That everyone is alive is probably the most important thing thank goodness.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Don't know whether anyone mentioned it here or not, but the lesson I hope you've learned from all this is...If the dryer shows an error code the couple times you've tried it, unplug it and leave it alone until you can have a qualified electrician look everything over.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Former adjuster here, although I handled damage caused by cars so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I don't think that list is unreasonable. The damage and/or injuries could have been considerable and what your asking for is for the most part in line with the damage that either was or could have been caused by what happened. It's not like you're asking for a new 200amp panel.

Lowe's may just pick it up to save face. The only things they may give you grief on are these:

6) Cover the cost of any and all further electrical repair work that our electrician suggests be done in relation to this incident for safety purposes that may have occurred due to this incident.

They're not going to give free rein for this, they may hire out a third party appraiser to check for additional damages

7) Compensation for work stoppage of our current kitchen remodel due to electrical safety issues related to this incident.

This may not be something you can reimburse for unless it actually cost you money.

Posts: 6378 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
The vendor should be licensed and insured in order to perform work for Lowes.
His insurance should cover such an incident.
But since you’ve paid Lowes they are the ones who should reimburse you and deal with the vendor on their end, in my opinion.
Will look forward to hearing how this is being handled by Lowes and what the final outcome will be.
Glad you are all ok and you could prevent a serious fire.

I agree, I would go through Lowe's and let them deal with their sub-contractor. Lowe's supplied and would have to replace the washer and dryer anyways.

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I would expect Lowes to pay most anything reasonable here, but there will be an agreement from their legal department to silence you in return. I'd think they want to preempt the potential PR nightmare.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Lowes has a list of contractors that they use. An inexperienced Lowes employee does not know the reputation of one contractor to the other. While someone that has worked there for some time knows which ones do good work.

I would let the Lowes manager handle the situation to your satisfaction.

You were very lucky. Good luck.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
An update in case anyone is interested.

I spoke to the Lowe's store manager this morning. He was genuinely concerned for what happened and contacted the contracted company who fulfilled and installed the dryer.

Hi Mike,

I'm waiting for the electrician to send me his report. When I receive it, I will forward it to you for your review.

Just an FYI, prior to this incident, your company delivered an incorrect model dryer to us. This faulty dryer was delivered on 9/23/2019 to replace the incorrect model that was delivered prior to this incident.

This incident occurred on 9/23/2019 at approximately 11pm EST.

Here are my requests to make this situation right. 

1) Provide a new Washer and Dryer of the same models/type, including all accessories that were purchased from Lowe's and complete reimbursement of the cost of these items (washer, dryer, accessories, delivery fee, etc.) to us. Please make sure that these items are wired correctly and function tested before and after installation. Please also ensure that these new replacement appliances are covered under manufacturer warranty and Lowe's warranty at no cost to us.

2) Cover the costs of Replacement of the receptacles for both the washer and the dryer by our electrician.

3) Cover the costs of Replacement of the breakers for the washer/dryer/laundry room by our electrician.

4) Cover the costs of repainting the laundry room that was just painted the day before the faulty dryer arrived. There are scorch marks on the wall where the dryer vent hose ignited.

5) Cover the costs of having the inside of the wall where the receptacles were plugged in inspected for any damages related to this incident.

6) Cover the cost of any and all further electrical repair work that our electrician suggests be done in relation to this incident for safety purposes that may have occurred due to this incident.

7) Compensation for work stoppage of our current kitchen remodel due to electrical safety issues related to this incident.

8) Compensation for costs of laundry bills during the time we will be without a washer and dryer.

9) Your company in conjunction with Lowe's is wholly responsible for providing us with an appliance that included faulty wiring that may have led to the death/injury of those who reside in this home. Death/Injury due to electrical shock, as well as the possibility of a catastrophic house fire may have occurred due to the fact that your company wired this appliance incorrectly and negligently and did not test for proper function before and after installation of the appliance.   Therefore, I am requesting compensation to us for the specific inconvenience of having to deal with having a faulty appliance supplied by your company/Lowe's, particularly in regard to me having to experience putting out an electrical fire due to this negligently wired device being installed in our home that put my family, myself, and our property at risk for catastrophe.

10) A new fire extinguisher to replace the one used to put out the fire caused by the faulty appliance.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thank You,

Why don't you just ask them for a brand new free house. Good Grief !!

Posts: 5619 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

Yeah well, they deserve it. They sent those asshats. I seriously cannot comprehend a grown man whose job it is to do this stuff doing what he did. I really can't. Especially in the age of YouTube. That is some superpower level incompetence there, and Lowe's needs to eat it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30538 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

Yeah well, they deserve it. They sent those asshats. I seriously cannot comprehend a grown man whose job it is to do this stuff doing what he did. I really can't. Especially in the age of YouTube. That is some superpower level incompetence there, and Lowe's needs to eat it.

Yeah, I think he was reasonable in his requests considering they nearly killed him and burned down his house.

By the way anytime you have a fire call the fire department. Let them give it a look see. I have seen people telling the fire fighters that everything is okay. The hose jockeys then do their thing and talk them into letting them look at the damage. Then they find hot spots in the insulation, wires and inside the walls. They can used thermal to help locate these things. I have seen this many times and know calls like these can be where fire fighters do the most good.

Posts: 7727 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Lowes story.

I order a new refrigerator from Lowes.

I had a flare fitting on the copper tube water line connecting to the old refrigerator ice maker. It was not a match for the new one.

The installer tried to force it. He breaks off the plastic connection on the refrigerator side.

I call and ask Lowes for a replacement fridge. they say they don't have one. I will take weeks for a replacement. I ask for a refund and take the now broken one out.

The manager calls back and said he found one in the warehouse. Be delivered in two days.

It gets delivered, about a year later it has a problem, I call the manufacturer for service.

It turns out the found one is was registered to someone else and was returned for being defective.

I call Lowes as for the manager, tell him the story. They delivered the current model of the refrigerator the next day no charge.

Posts: 4749 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Asking for a new fire extinguisher for the last item was classic. Entirely appropriate, and it was the cherry on top that tells them this was deadly serious.

Posts: 11403 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hambony:
Just don't pull a Cosmo Kramer and accept the first offer! LOL. That everyone is alive is probably the most important thing thank goodness.
Yes, could have been far worse. A great reason for both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Louie, after Jim burns down his apartment. One of the best skits in comedy.

Jim gets a check from his dad. Louie requires complete silence while he figures out the amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsFDpTEl84

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post