SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hoarder or planning ahead? take the poll
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoarder or planning ahead? take the poll Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

A buddy of mine (Mormon and proud of it) said "get stuff that you like to eat and also stuff you don't need to do much to prepare, if needed". Then rotate the older stock to eat and replenish with newer.

Not only does it prepare you for disasters, panics, or other stuff like that - but also layoffs, furloughs, medical injuries.

A Mormon friend taught me this. I learned fairly well. The TP thing caught me a little off guard. We only had a 60 day supply on hand. I also learned to keep about 9 months salary liquid.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I guess maybe I might be a hoarder as I have three freezers in the basement. One for meat,
one for pastas, homemade sauces, stews, veal, pork, wild game, chili,etc and the third for frozen veggis and ice cream.

I bought the freezers many years ago as I always buy beef in half a side orders. I buy very little as far as meats go at a grocery store.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Hoarding is the unprepared trying to become prepared too late. It’s also misused to describe those eho have thought ahead, and prepared over time, vs those who run out snd try to buy all at once what they should have been setting by for years.

If you have to buy much more than normal incidentals at the start of any crisis, you’ve failed to prepare properly for that crisis. We were actually almost out of TP when the crazy hit, just that place in the cycle of our monthly Costco runs. We bought that and some extra canned goods and cold medicine, and have been pretty much set since.

Hoarding is a psychological response to loss of control. I can’t control anything important in my life, but I’ll for darn sure control having enough TP (or whatever). If you’re prepared and have thought ahead you don’t experience the same loss of control and the consequent reaction of needing to control something.

Like the Mormons mentioned above, having six months to a year of food on hand helps mitigate personal disasters as much as global or regional crisis. If you’re living paycheck to paycheck, losing your job is a disaster. If you have six months of food in storage and a years salary in the bank, not so much.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm single, a Costco member, and have CRSS (can't remember shit syndrome) so I buy package of TP and paper towels about every 2 months at Costco whether I need it or not.

Also, I lived in Alaska for 5 years where an earthquake so large occurred that it shutdown airports and ports for 3 weeks. It's 2nd nature for me to have 3 or 4 weeks of food on hand.

I had the "flu" twice (I'm openly 2nd guessing one of the diagnosis) in January so my supplies got a little depleted. In February, I restocked due to that and seeing the writing on the wall with COVID-19.

I don't consider it hoarding since:
  • I did it in February and stores were restocked for more than a dozen days before the run on the grocery stores started on March 12th in Houston.
  • I don't have an unusual supply by my standards.
  • I'm not profiteering by trying to resell anything I bought in February.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 9x18:
    Going out to but a freezer is not hoarding. Going out and buying seven freezers is hoarding. And stupid.

These are my thoughts. Buying 1 freezer is not hoarding, buying one large pack of toilet paper isn't hoarding......it's the animals that buy 7 freezers, or 7 large packages of toilet paper.

Hoarding is keeping a supply of something you couldn't use up in a reasonable amount of time. With TP, I'd say more than a 3-4 month supply at anytime is hoarding, same goes for food.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by armedprof:
    Keep enough on hand for normal life for 60-90 days. Rotate stock constantly...
    Yup, then you avoid the expensive "oh I bought this crappy survival food years ago and it's all going bad".

A buddy of mine (Mormon and proud of it) said "get stuff that you like to eat and also stuff you don't need to do much to prepare, if needed". Then rotate the older stock to eat and replenish with newer.

Not only does it prepare you for disasters, panics, or other stuff like that - but also layoffs, furloughs, medical injuries.

truth

anyone who doesn't do this is not taking care of their family IMO

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    Great conversation.

Currently it’s just my wife and me at the house. I had been gently trying to convince my wife of the need to take advantage of sales etc. and stock up on staples etc. When I built our home I specifically designed a storage room for this.

She was reluctant and since she did most of the shopping we never had more than about 2 weeks of food on hand. About a week ago we had “the conversation” again and she has finally agreed so when this is over we’ll be increasing our supplies of staples and like was said above just rotate the stock so nothing goes to waste. I have made a list of items and am working out the quantity to keep on hand.

Also, In our case we were/are planning on an extended trip to AK this summer and had been slowly depleting our freezer supply so that we could ship some salmon and halibut home (!) so in that respect we were caught out by this but we’ll get through this without issue.

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    you're wrong. planning ahead is a good and smart thing to do.

probably just me but I detest the trendy 'prove me wrong' phrase.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    Hoarding is keeping a supply of something you couldn't use up in a reasonable amount of time. With TP, I'd say more than a 3-4 month supply at anytime is hoarding, same goes for food.....

So Capt Jimmy decides what is a 'reasonable' amount of time..? What is 'large' to you..?

Because you decided to pass on buying it and others did not..?

Does the same go for money, ammunition, and other 'things'...?

No, it's called FREEDOM to CHOOSE.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Remember The Ant + The Grasshopper? Was the Ant a Hoarder?

"The Ant and the Grasshopper, alternatively titled The Grasshopper and the Ant, is one of Aesop's Fables, numbered 373 in the Perry Index. The fable describes how a hungry grasshopper begs for food from an ant when winter comes and is refused."

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
    posted Hide Post
    I did buy al little extra last month. But I already had a good stockpile. I have always seen the wisdom of having extra provisions on hand, and thankfully my wife agrees.

I hope that this pandemic has opened some peoples eyes on what can happen and they plan appropriately. But most will just go back to burying their heads in the sand.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
    posted Hide Post
    ps-- two of your choices are negative and the third doesnt fully explain being prepared.

So if your asking who I side with.. it would be Karen!!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I apologize for my poorly worded and stupid post.

I guess i thought it was inconsiderate at least to go out and buy a freezer to buy extra food while others are finding empty shelves at the grocery stores.

I was wrong. I was told that on Facebook and it is confirmed here.

-----------------
    Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mark1Mod0Squid
    Picture of Sigolicious
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

These are my thoughts. Buying 1 freezer is not hoarding, buying one large pack of toilet paper isn't hoarding......it's the animals that buy 7 freezers, or 7 large packages of toilet paper.

Well, those of us who live rural must be hoarders. Actually, according to your calculations, we are 4x hoarders.

Funny story. About 4 years ago when my father in law was working shifts as a millwright in the mines and would be away from home for 1-2 weeks. My mother in law was on their ranch and the monsoons came. She couldn't leave the ranch and he couldn't come home for almost a month due to washouts. She got down to less than 1 roll of TP before she was able to get out to the store. She swore that would never happen again and now has around 4 roll packs x 50 of TP. We have nearly the same as my wife swears she will make me swim the wash to get TP if we are stuck for a bit.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have tp also

-----------------

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cheni:
    I have tp also

Either you are a hoarder or you guys are just really, really full of shit! Wink

But you should really go give it all away now, to be considerate. There are others who are shitting without TP.

Or is that a photo of the aforementioned "Karen" on the book of faces...?

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by cheni:
    I have tp also

Either you are a hoarder or you guys are just really, really full of shit! Wink

But you should really go give it all away now, to be considerate. There are others who are shitting without TP.

See that's what i'm saying. I'm a hoarder but bought mine in 2015. But those who bought extra 2 weeks ago are cool.
    Okay got it.

-----------------

posted Hide Post
    Your sarcasm meter is broken. Or maybe you are just bitchy. IDK, IDC.

posted Hide Post
    every meter i have is off.
    time for a reboot

-----------------

eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    Hoarding or not, I think it's okay.

Do whatever the fuck you want with your time and money. Everyone had their opportunity.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post